Introductory textbook on Chemistry

In summary, the textbook recommendations are as follows: Semester 1: Shriver and Atkins, Inorganic Chemistry, 4th addition, oxford university press.Semester 2: Housecroft and Sharpe, Inorganic Chemistry, 3rd addition, Pearson Prentice Hall.Semester 3: Vollhardt and Schore, Organic Chemistry, 6th edition, John Wiley and Sons.
gillouche
Gold Member
Hello PF !

I am going to start a bachelor's degree in physics in September. I am looking for an introductory textbook on Chemistry. The university is new in Europe and we don't seem to have specific textbooks to buy. We have more like recommended textbooks.

Here is the objective and the topics of the course :

Semester 1
Provide a foundation of knowledge of inorganic chemistry which is useful for the study of physics.
Understanding how the key concepts of electronegativity, electron affinity, effective nuclear charge, ionization energy etc dominate most of inorganic chemistry

- Atomic structure, orbital shapes, building the periodic table, spectra
- Bonding in diatomic molecules
- Geometry of molecules
- States of matter, gas, liquid, solid, and phase diagrams
- Main group chemistry including s, p, and d block, properties and trends, as well as simple compounds such as hydrides, halides, and oxides.
- Introduction to thermodynamics, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd law, gas phase reactions
- Reaction kinetics
- Solution chemistry including acid, base, buffering, salts, solubilities, and equilibria
- Introduction to electrochemistry

Recommended textbooks for semester 1 :
Shriver and Atkins, Inorganic Chemistry, 4th addition, oxford university press.
Housecroft and Sharpe, Inorganic Chemistry, 3rd addition, Pearson Prentice Hall.
Paul Arnaud : Chimie Physique (Ed. DUNOD) ; Dernière édition

Semester 2
Only practical work in labs.

Semester 3
Provide a foundation of knowledge of organic chemistry which is useful for the study of physics. To enable the student to have an understandable conversation with an organic chemist, to be able to draw and understand representative structures of molecules. To have a grasp of the four major components of organic chemistry namely, synthesis, separation, identification, and functional form. To know where organic chemistry fits into a physics…especially in the field of soft condensed matter

- Naming systems
- Functional groups
- Structural representations and stereoisomers
- Bonding
- Simple reactions e.g. SN1,SN2, E1, E2
- Organo-metallics and catalysts
- Polymer synthesis and characterisation

Recommended textbook for semester 3 :
Organic Chemistry by either / or
• Vollhardt and Schore
• Clayden
• Morrison and Boyd
• Brown, Foote, and Iverson

Would you have any textbook to recommend ?

Thank you very much.

For Semester 1 & 2, the curriculum is that of the US AP Chemistry curriculum.

I took AP Chemistry and found the following textbook to be very useful.

Kotz and Treichel (used in high school class) - very good book. Here's a sample syllabus that shows the complete coverage of the course material (copy and paste it in).
www.chemmybear.com/ucr2011/pauls_audit_syllabus.pdf

The Semester 3 curriculum is that of the Organic Chemistry curriculum. I would recommend Vollhardt and Schore (heard good things about it from other chemistry undergrad students, this was used in our undergrad course for both Organic Chemistry I and II).

Thank you for those information !

I missed your reply, sorry about that.

What is chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter and the changes it undergoes. It is a broad field that encompasses everything from the tiniest atoms to complex compounds and reactions.

Why is an introductory textbook on chemistry important?

An introductory textbook on chemistry is important because it provides a foundation for understanding the basic concepts, principles, and theories of chemistry. It also helps students develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities that are essential for success in further studies and careers in science.

What topics are typically covered in an introductory chemistry textbook?

An introductory chemistry textbook usually covers topics such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, states of matter, chemical reactions, stoichiometry, and basic concepts of organic and biochemistry.

How can I use an introductory chemistry textbook effectively?

To use an introductory chemistry textbook effectively, it is important to read each chapter thoroughly, take notes, and actively engage in practice problems and exercises. It is also helpful to form study groups and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed.

What are some real-world applications of chemistry?

Chemistry has countless real-world applications, including the development of new medicines, production of food and consumer goods, creation of new materials and fuels, and understanding of environmental processes. It also plays a crucial role in various industries such as agriculture, energy, and technology.