Intuition behind the distance between two lines

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem in which two lines do not intersect. They established equations and determined that the distance between the two lines is equal to the absolute value of the scalar projection of a vector which connects a point on one line to a point on the other line.
jegues
RE-EDITING POST: I had misread some of my notes. :redface:

Attachments

• LIND.JPG
    LIND.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question?

HallsofIvy said:
What is your question?

I've been working on trying to solve the following question. (See figure)

(NOTE FOR FIGURE: Ignore salshed out part)

The first thing I did is write the two lines in vector format with different parameters (s&t). After that, looking at the direction vectors of each line we can determine that one is not a multiple of the other, therefore they musn't be parallel. I double checked this with the cross product between the two direction vectors, and I did not obtain the zero vector.

From here I established a system of equations, equating the x, y and z coordinates and solving for t and s.

Since I obtained t = -12 and s = 7, the two lines should intersect at some point, and the distance should simply be 0, but I'm not entirely sure this is true.

Am I interpreting the question wrong?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Is it possible that both the lines are defined by the same parameter, t? If so then they lines would be skew lines, correct?

As soon as I can clarify the first few questions I have, then I may have a question regarding the intution behind solving for the distance between two lines.

Attachments

• DISL.JPG
    DISL.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 382
I think I've made some progressive after doing some more reading/review.

Since there are no values of t and s that satisfy the three equations, [tex]l_1[/tex] and [tex]l_2[/tex] do not intersect. Thus [tex]l_1[/tex] and [tex]l_2[/tex] are skew lines.

Since the two lines are skew, we can think of them as two parallel planes [tex]P_1[/tex] and [tex]P_2[/tex]. The normal vector to both planes will be orthogonal to the direction vectors of [tex]l_1[/tex] and [tex]l_2[/tex]. ([tex] \vec{v_{1}}\times \vec{v_{2}}[/tex])

[tex]\vec{n} = 8\hat{i} - 5\hat{j} -1\hat{k}[/tex]

Now if we simply use a point on either [tex]l_1[/tex] or [tex]l_2[/tex] we should be able to describe either of the planes [tex]P_1[/tex] or [tex]P_2[/tex].

If we choose [tex]P_1[/tex],

[tex]8(x +1) -5(y -3) -(z+4) = 0[/tex] or [tex]8x -5y -z + 19 = 0[/tex]

Now if we set t = 0 in the equations for [tex]l_2[/tex], we get the point P(1,0,-3) on [tex]P_2[/tex].

That being said the distance between the two lines is now reduced to the distance between a plane and a given point.

This will distance will be equal to the absolute value of the scalar projection of any vector that lies in the plane and travels to the point P(1,0,-3) projected onto the normal vector of that plane.

[tex]D = \frac{|8(1)-5(0)-1(3)+19|}{|\sqrt{8^{2} + (-5)^{2} + (-1)^{2}}|} = \frac{24}{\sqrt{90}} = \frac{4\sqrt{10}}{5} \approx 2.530[/tex]

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Bump, still looking for a quick check on this one!

Your reasoning is correct, but you flipped a sign when calculating the dot product in your last step.

vela said:
Your reasoning is correct, but you flipped a sign when calculating the dot product in your last step.

Thank you for pointing that out. I'll edit this post later when I have the time to redo the calculations!

EDIT:

[tex]D = \frac{|8(1)-5(0)-1(-3)+19|}{|\sqrt{8^{2} + (-5)^{2} + (-1)^{2}}|} = \frac{30}{\sqrt{90}} = \sqrt{10} \approx 3.162[/tex]

Last edited:
Hopefully that's correct now!

Yup, that's it.

And it is equal to the minimum distance between points on the two lines.

ehild

I have one more quick question.

When I preformed the dot product with the normal vector of the plane, it seems as though I didn't dot together two vectors, but rather a plane and a point.

Can someone try and clarfiy this for me, it's the only part left that has me rattled!

Thanks again!

You're choosing one point on P1. It's just that regardless of which point on the plane you choose, you always have [itex]\vec{n}\cdot\vec{x} = -19[/itex].

Quite a lot of way to attack a problem... The distance between the skew lines is the length of the straight line which intersects both lines and is perpendicular to both of them. The tangent vector of this line is the vector product of

v1 and v2.

[tex]\vec n = \vec v_1\times \vec v_2[/tex]

The length of the perpendicular line segment is equal to the projection of any vector which connects a point on l1 to a point on l2, for example r12 that points from P1 to P2. The distance is

[tex]D=\frac{\vec n\cdot\vec r_{12}}{|\vec n|}[/tex]

ehild

ehild said:
Quite a lot of way to attack a problem... The distance between the skew lines is the length of the straight line which intersects both lines and is perpendicular to both of them. The tangent vector of this line is the vector product of

v1 and v2.

[tex]\vec n = \vec v_1\times \vec v_2[/tex]

The length of the perpendicular line segment is equal to the projection of any vector which connects a point on l1 to a point on l2, for example r12 that points from P1 to P2. The distance is

[tex]D=\frac{\vec n\cdot\vec r_{12}}{|\vec n|}[/tex]

ehild

Thank you, this cleared things up for me!

1. What does the distance between two lines represent?

The distance between two lines represents the shortest distance between any two points on the two lines. It is also known as the perpendicular distance, as it is the distance between two lines measured at a 90-degree angle.

2. How is the distance between two lines calculated?

The distance between two lines can be calculated by finding the distance between a point on one line and the nearest point on the other line. This can be done using the formula for finding the distance between a point and a line in a coordinate plane.

3. Can the distance between two lines be negative?

No, the distance between two lines is always a positive value. This is because it represents a physical distance, which cannot be negative.

4. What is the significance of the distance between two parallel lines?

The distance between two parallel lines is always the same, regardless of where it is measured. This is because parallel lines have the same slope and will never intersect, meaning the distance between them will never change.

5. How does the distance between two lines relate to their equations?

The distance between two lines is influenced by the equations that represent them. Two lines with different equations will have different distances between them, while two lines with the same equation or equations that are parallel will have a distance of 0 between them.