Intuition for symmetry currents

In summary, in order to understand symmetry currents and their relationship to Noether's theorem and representation theory, one must consider the gauge invariance of a theory and how it affects the action and continuity equation. In the case of Maxwell's theory without matter fields, the current must be put in by hand, but can also be derived from the enhanced Lagrangian. In general, the conservation of a current in gauge theories follows from both Noether's theorem and the consistency condition due to the anti-symmetry of the field strength tensor. This can also be applied to pure gluonic QCD without quarks. Additionally, Noether's theorem can be derived for global symmetries by "gauging" the symmetry with external gauge
electroweak
How should I think about symmetry currents?... in particular, when there are no fields to "carry the charge", eg in a pure Maxwell theory or, maybe, in a CFT of free scalars? Perhaps it would help if someone elucidated the connection between the "charge" in Noether's theorem and the "charge" in representation theory (ie how fields transform).

Physics news on Phys.org
In Maxwell's theory w/o matter fields you cannot derive the matter current using symmetry considerations i.e. Norther's theorem, so you have to put it in by hand. But already then it must be conserved du to anti-symmetry of F.

Of course this is not the way we want to introduce the current. By inspection of the inhomogeneous Maxwell equations you derive (backwards) an enhanced Lagrangian now containing a coupling of the A-field with the current j. From this Lagrangian you CAN derive the current as Noether current.

Note that in many (all?) gauge theories conservation of the current follows from these two procedures: Noether's theorem and consistency condition due to anti-symmetry of F. The latter one says that you cannot couple a non-conserved current w/o making the theory inconsistent.

I think this always works regardless whether j is a single entity j or whether it is a more complicated expression based on more fundamental matter fields. Rather nice example is pure gluonic QCD w/o quarks; due to the non-abelian gauge group and the non-linearity of F you find a purely gluonic conserved current. Again both procedures work: the conservation follows directly from the anti-symmetry of F w/o using Noether's theorem; and of course you can apply Noether's theorem directly to derive the current.

Sure, you can derive Noether's theorem for global symmetries by "gauging" the symmetry with external (i.e., background) gauge fields as external sources in the effective action. The functional derivative of this action with respect to these source fields gives you the expectation value of the conserved current (setting the auxiliary fields to 0 after taking the derivative). Using local gauge invariance of the theory with external gauge fields you can derive in an elegant way also the Ward-Takahashi identities for the effective action and thus for the proper vertex functions.

electroweak said:
How should I think about symmetry currents?
I hope I understand your question correctly that you are trying to find an intuition for Noether's theorem. As you state, I would always fall back to something that you really know, e.g. charge conservation in electrodynamics and how you can derive it from gauge invariance, not directly from the continuity equation.
What you basically have to do is to look what has to be "fixed" if a gauge transformation is applied to the action - and voila, you find charge conservation from this very first principle.

1. What is the concept of symmetry currents in intuition?

Symmetry currents in intuition refer to the idea that certain symmetries, or patterns of similarity or equivalence, can be identified and utilized by the human mind to better understand and interpret information. These symmetries can be found in various areas of study, such as mathematics, science, and art.

2. How do symmetry currents impact our thought processes?

Symmetry currents can have a significant impact on our thought processes by helping us recognize and organize patterns in information. This can lead to more efficient problem-solving and decision-making, as well as a deeper understanding of complex concepts.

3. Can symmetry currents be developed or improved upon?

Yes, symmetry currents can be developed or improved upon through practice and exposure to different types of symmetry. By actively seeking out and studying symmetrical patterns, individuals can strengthen their intuition for symmetry currents.

4. What are some real-world applications of symmetry currents?

Symmetry currents have numerous real-world applications, such as in physics, where they are used to understand and describe the laws of nature. They are also utilized in design and engineering to create more aesthetically pleasing and functional products.

5. Are symmetry currents limited to certain fields of study?

No, symmetry currents can be found and applied in a wide range of fields, from mathematics and science to art and music. They are a fundamental aspect of human cognition and can be observed and utilized in almost any area of study.