Finding Inverse of f(x) = 3 + x^2 + tan(pi x/2) -1/x/1 and f(x) = x^3 +x +1

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's difficulty in finding the inverse of two given functions. They have been trying to manipulate the equations for half an hour but have not been successful. They ask for hints and clarify that the problem does not involve graphing. Another person suggests trying reversion of power series.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I can't seem to find the inverse to these two functions:

f(x) = 3 + x^2 + tan(pi x/2) -1/x/1

f(x) = x^3 +x +1

I've tried manipulating these both for a half hour. But I havn't found the way to find the inverses of these. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help if you stated exactly what the problem is that you need to solve. Did the question say anything about graphing?

Nope, no graphs. I am supposed to find the inverse by solving the equation explicitly for x and then switch the variables to find the inverse.

Tide said:
It might help if you stated exactly what the problem is that you need to solve. Did the question say anything about graphing?

He's asking for the inverse, which is pretty clear in his post.

Personally, I thank god I don't have to do that. The second doesn't look so bad though.

Tried reversion of power series yet?

1. What is the definition of an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that undoes the action of another function. It essentially reverses the input/output relationship of the original function.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you need to switch the x and y variables and solve for y. This will give you the inverse function in terms of x. It is important to note that not all functions have an inverse.

3. Can you find the inverse of a function algebraically?

Yes, the inverse of a function can be found algebraically by using the steps mentioned in the previous question. However, some functions may require more advanced algebraic techniques to find their inverse.

4. What is the notation used for inverse functions?

The notation used for inverse functions is f-1(x). This is read as "f inverse of x." It is important to note that this notation does not mean 1/f(x), but rather the inverse function of f(x).

5. How do you verify if a function and its inverse are correct?

To verify if a function and its inverse are correct, you can use the composition of functions. This means plugging the inverse function into the original function and vice versa. If the result is x, then the functions are inverses of each other.