Inverse laplace of high pass RC filter

In summary, the conversation discusses the time domain response of a first order high pass RC filter and the different solutions obtained using Laplace transform and differential equations. The Laplace equation is found to be incorrect due to mistakes in substituting the Laplace transform for the input voltage. The differential equation solution is proven to be correct through a SPICE simulation.
saxm

Homework Statement

I'm trying to work out the time domain response of a first order high pass RC filter, eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:High_pass_filter.svg

I've got two solutions, one using laplace and one using differential equations, but they are different. One equation must be wrong, can anyone point out which one? And why?

Homework Equations

The laplace transform, or a first order ODE.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using laplace:
[tex](v_{in}-v_{out})sC + \frac{0-v_{out}}{R}[/tex]
[tex]v_{in}sCR = v_{out}(1+SCR)[/tex]
[tex]v_{out} = v_{i} \frac{s}{s+\frac{1}{CR}}[/tex]

Then I need to take the inverse laplace transform. I can't see any inverse transforms in laplace tables (eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_transform" )for functions of the form [tex]\frac{s}{s+\alpha}[/tex], but I see that multiplication by s in the frequency domain is differentiation in the time domain, so I tried taking the inverse laplace of [tex]\frac{1}{s+\frac{1}{CR}}[/tex] to obtain [tex]f(t)[/tex] and then differentiating the result to give [tex]f'(t)[/tex], ie:

[tex]F(s) = \frac{1}{s+\alpha}[/tex]
[tex]f(t) = e^{-\alpha t}[/tex]

and I want [tex]f'(t)[/tex], the first derivative of [tex]f(t)[/tex], so:

[tex]f'(t) = -\alpha e^{-\alpha t}[/tex]

and substituting in my values:

[tex]v_{out}(t) = - v_{in} \frac{e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}}{RC}[/tex]

Next, I try the same thing with differential equations:

[tex]v_{in} = v_{c} + v_{r}[/tex]
[tex]v_{in} = \frac{1}{C}\int{i} dt + iR[/tex]

then using [tex]i = \frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]v_{in} = \frac{q}{C} + \frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]

And solving this using an integrating factor [tex]\mu = e^{\frac{t}{RC}}[/tex]:
[tex]\mu q = C v_{in}(e^{\frac{t}{RC}} - 1)[/tex]

And finally computing [tex]v_{out}(t) = i.R = \frac{dq}{dt}.R[/tex] gives me:

[tex]v_{out}(t) = v_{in} e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}[/tex]

I'm not sure why this result differs from the laplace version. If I skip the final differentiation in the laplace formulation of the problem (ie. just entirely ignore the existence of the 's' on the top line), then the two equations give the same result, but I don't understand why. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've thought about it some more. Physically it makes sense at t=0 for Vout to be equal to Vin, so the 1/RC term in the laplace version of the equation doesn't make sense. I've also done a SPICE simulation in which the differential equation matches perfectly with the simulated waveform, so the differential equation is right and the laplace equation is wrong.

But I don't understand why the laplace equation is wrong...

Finally sorted this out. For the benefit of any googlers etc..., the problem is that I just kinda left [tex]v_{in}[/tex] alone (didn't fully appreciate what I was doing), but infact it could be written as [tex]v_{in}(s)[/tex] and then I needed to substitute in the Laplace transform for this, which for a unit step input is just [tex]\frac{1}{s}[/tex]. And then the 's' on the top line of the laplace equation cancels with the new 's' on the bottom...

Related to Inverse laplace of high pass RC filter

1. What is the inverse Laplace transform of a high pass RC filter?

The inverse Laplace transform of a high pass RC filter is a function that represents the time domain response of the filter. It is used to analyze the behavior of the circuit and determine its frequency response.

2. How is the inverse Laplace transform of a high pass RC filter calculated?

The inverse Laplace transform of a high pass RC filter can be calculated using the formula:
Y(t) = L^-1[1/(RCs + 1)] = (1/RC)e^(-t/RC)

3. What is the significance of the time constant in the inverse Laplace transform of a high pass RC filter?

The time constant, represented by RC, determines the rate at which the output of the filter responds to changes in the input signal. A larger time constant results in a slower response, while a smaller time constant results in a faster response.

4. How does the value of the resistor and capacitor affect the inverse Laplace transform of a high pass RC filter?

The values of the resistor and capacitor determine the cutoff frequency of the filter, which is the frequency at which the output signal starts to decrease. A higher resistor value or a lower capacitor value will result in a higher cutoff frequency, and vice versa.

5. What is the frequency response of the inverse Laplace transform of a high pass RC filter?

The frequency response of the inverse Laplace transform of a high pass RC filter is a plot of the output signal's amplitude against the frequency of the input signal. It shows how the filter attenuates or amplifies different frequencies, with a cutoff frequency at which the output signal starts to decrease.