How Do You Solve Complex Inverse Laplace Transforms?

In summary: Then you can use the table of common Laplace transforms to find the inverse Laplace transform.In summary, the conversation is about finding the inverse Laplace Transform for a given function and using a table of common Laplace transforms to assist in the solution. The suggested method is to factorize the denominator and use partial fractions to simplify the expression, and then use the table to find the inverse Laplace transform.
jegues

Homework Statement

Find the inverse Laplace Transform for the function,

[tex]F(s) = \frac{(3s^{2}+9s+14)e^{-5s}}{s^3 + 4s^2 +7s}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We are given a table of common laplace transforms that we are allowed use to without proof.

First I'll rewrite F(s) like so,

[tex]\frac{(3s^{2}+9s+14)}{s^3 + 4s^2 +7s} \cdot e^{-5s}[/tex]

because all the exponential term is doing is the 2nd translation theorem which I'll deal with near the end, so for now I'm focusing on term on the left hand side.

I've been trying to factorize the top and bottom and make some cancelations or possibly complete the square but I can't come up with anything pretty.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm seeing the obvious stuff like we can pull out and s on the bottom, but I don't see what factorizations I should make.

Physics news on Phys.org
jegues said:

Homework Statement

Find the inverse Laplace Transform for the function,

[tex]F(s) = \frac{(3s^{2}+9s+14)e^{-5s}}{s^3 + 4s^2 +7s}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We are given a table of common laplace transforms that we are allowed use to without proof.

First I'll rewrite F(s) like so,

[tex]\frac{(3s^{2}+9s+14)}{s^3 + 4s^2 +7s} \cdot e^{-5s}[/tex]

because all the exponential term is doing is the 2nd translation theorem which I'll deal with near the end, so for now I'm focusing on term on the left hand side.

I've been trying to factorize the top and bottom and make some cancelations or possibly complete the square but I can't come up with anything pretty.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm seeing the obvious stuff like we can pull out and s on the bottom, but I don't see what factorizations I should make.

Factor the denominator into s(s2 + 4s + 7) and then use partial fractions. The will be of the form A/s + (Bs + C)/(s2 + 4s + 7).

Related to How Do You Solve Complex Inverse Laplace Transforms?

1. What is the Inverse Laplace Transform?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that allows us to find the original function from its Laplace transform. It is the reverse process of the Laplace Transform, which is used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain.

2. How is the Inverse Laplace Transform calculated?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is calculated using complex integrals. It involves finding the residues of the function in the complex plane and then using partial fraction decomposition to simplify the integral. The result is the original function in the time domain.

3. What is the significance of the Inverse Laplace Transform in engineering and physics?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is widely used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations. It allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of systems in the time domain, which is essential in many applications, such as signal processing, control systems, and circuit analysis.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Inverse Laplace Transform?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Inverse Laplace Transform. It can only be applied to functions that have a Laplace transform, and the inverse function must also exist. Additionally, the convergence of the integral may be challenging to determine for some functions.

5. Can the Inverse Laplace Transform be used to solve any type of differential equation?

No, the Inverse Laplace Transform can only be used to solve linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It cannot be applied to nonlinear or variable coefficient differential equations. Additionally, the initial conditions of the differential equation must be known for the Inverse Laplace Transform to be applicable.