Inverse Laplace transform

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of the path of integration for a function F(s) with a laplace transform, to the right of all singularities to ensure the value of the integral is independent of the specific value of c. The speaker also mentions that the integral is independent of the value of c due to restrictions on functions with laplace transforms, and that the contour can be chosen to have isolated singularities on the right side of Re(s)=c. The conversation also discusses the conditions for the laplace transform, including that Re(s)>0 for convergence, and the speaker asks for an explanation of why all singularities are left from Re(s)=c and why we integrate over the line (c-i\infty,c+i
matematikuvol
[tex]f(t)=\int^{c+i\infty}_{c-i\infty}F(s)e^{st}ds[/tex]

Why we suppose that all singularities are left from line [tex]Re(s)=c[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is picture of my question. Can you give me detail explanation?

Attachments

• ILT.JPG
    ILT.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 489
matematikuvol said:
[tex]f(t)=\int^{c+i\infty}_{c-i\infty}F(s)e^{st}ds[/tex]

Why we suppose that all singularities are left from line [tex]Re(s)=c[/tex]?

We place the path of integration (by design and not by necessity), to the right of all singularities so that the value of the integral is independent of the specific value of c. You can show that by evaluating the integral over a square contour which goes around to the right and since there are no singularities there, the value of the integral is zero. Now due to the restrictions placed on functions which have laplace transforms (those of exponential order), the horizontal legs on the top and bottom of that contour can be shown to be zero which means the sum of the two vertical legs are zero which means they are equal to one another when both are going in the same direction which means the integral is independent of the value of c.

I can't understand you really well without a picture. But I understand that result is for any [tex]Re(s)=c[/tex] this is correct. Fine. I don't have a problem with that. My problem is that I certainly can choose a lot of counture so that I have 3, for example, isolated singularities in the right side of [tex]Re(s)=c[/tex]. Am I right?

My second question is:
When I defined Laplase transform like

[tex]F(s)=\int^{\infty}_0f(t)e^{-st}dt[/tex]

I say that [tex]Re(s)>0[/tex] because of convergence. So [tex]c[/tex] must be positive. Right? Is there some other condition?

If I had conture like in picture 2 in file

http://www.solitaryroad.com/c916.html

Why integral [tex]\int_{C_1}=0[/tex] when [tex]R\rightarrow \infty[/tex]? I have

[tex]\lim_{R\to \infty}\int_{C_1}F(s)e^{st}dp=0[/tex]

If I understand [tex]R\rightarrow \infty[/tex] is equivalent with [tex]\lim_{Re(s)\to \infty}[/tex].

[tex]\lim_{Re(s)\to \infty}F(s)=0[/tex]

and

[tex]\lim_{Re(s)\to \infty}e^{pt}=\infty[/tex]

why then

[tex]\lim_{R\to \infty}\int_{C_1}F(s)e^{st}dp=0[/tex]?

Can someone help me and answer these questions?

matematikuvol said:
Here is picture of my question. Can you give me detail explanation?

Can you give me a explanation why all singularities are left from ##Re(s)=c##? And why we integrate over the line ##(c-i\infty,c+i\infty)##?

1. What is an inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the complex frequency domain and transforms it into a function in the time domain. It is the reverse process of the Laplace transform, which converts a function in the time domain into the complex frequency domain.

2. Why is the inverse Laplace transform important in science?

The inverse Laplace transform is important in science because it allows us to analyze and understand complex systems by converting them into simpler functions in the time domain. This makes it easier to study and solve problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

3. How is the inverse Laplace transform calculated?

The inverse Laplace transform is typically calculated using integral calculus. There are various methods for solving inverse Laplace transforms, such as partial fraction decomposition, contour integration, and the use of tables or software.

4. What are some applications of the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform has a wide range of applications in fields such as control systems, signal processing, circuit analysis, and differential equations. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and economics.

5. Are there any limitations to the inverse Laplace transform?

While the inverse Laplace transform is a powerful tool for solving problems in science, it does have some limitations. It may not work for functions that do not have a Laplace transform, and the calculation can become complex for highly oscillatory or rapidly increasing functions. Additionally, the inverse Laplace transform may not have a unique solution for certain functions.