Computing Inverse Laplace Transforms for F(s) = (-2s-2)/((s-1)^2+9)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for f(x) by computing L-1[F(s)] = f(x). The steps used include manipulating the fraction F(s) = (-2(s-1) - 2 -2 ) / ((s-1)^2 + 9) and splitting it into two parts. The final answer for f(x) is -2etcos(3t) + 0.67etsin(3t). The conversation also addresses using the shift formula to solve for the term involving sin(3t) in the denominator.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

F(s)=(−2s−2)/((s−1)2+9)

Find f(x) by computing L-1[F(s)] = f(x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I made put (s-1) in place of s in the numerator, then compensated for that by subtracting 2:
F(s) = (-2(s-1) - 2 -2 ) / ((s-1)2 + 9)

Then s-1 becomes s...

F(s) = (-2s - 4) / (s2 + 32)

Split this into 2 parts:

-2s / s2 + 32 and (-4/3)(3 / s2 + 32)

This gives -2cos(3x) - (4/3)sin(3x) as f(x). But it's wrong... what should I have done differently?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{-2s-2}{(s-1)^2+9} =-2 \frac{s+1}{(s-1)^2+9}[/tex]

Now use a similar principle of (a+b)/c = a/c + b/c

(shift formula will help you here)

Okay so I split it up:

-2 [ s / ((s-1)2 + 9) + 1 / (s-1)2 + 9)

I'll work with s / (s-1)2 + 9 first. Rewrite the denominator as s - 1 + 1. Then split it up into two, so I have:

s-1 / (s-1)2 + 9 and 1 / (s-1)2 + 9)

Now working with just the first part of the above. If the shift formula was used then a = 1, and the other part was cos(3t). So this part of f(t) must have been etcos(3t).

Now for 1 / (s-1)2 + 9. if I multiply the whole thing by 1/3 then I can put a 3 in the denominator, so this part of f(t) is 1/3sin(3t). Since I have two of those (one from the second split) I get 2/3sin(3t).

Now I multiply everything by -2.

Final answer: -2etcos(3t) -4/3sin(3t).

Is that correct?

I think there's still a problem with the sin(3t). Because I have 1/ (s-1)^2 +9, not just s in the denominator. Did I need to use the shift formula there too? I'm not sure how as I have no s in the numerator to work with!

jumbogala said:
I think there's still a problem with the sin(3t). Because I have 1/ (s-1)^2 +9, not just s in the denominator. Did I need to use the shift formula there too? I'm not sure how as I have no s in the numerator to work with!

yes you have to shift that as well

[tex]L[sinkt]=\frac{k}{s^2+k^2}[/tex]

How do you shift it though? I can't put 1-s+s in the numerator, that doesn't help...

jumbogala said:
How do you shift it though? I can't put 1-s+s in the numerator, that doesn't help...

you don't need to, the second term (befor multiplying by -2) is

[tex]\frac{2}{(s-1)^2+9} = \frac{2}{3}\frac{3}{(s-1)^2+(3^2)}[/tex]

So you just shift it the same way with a=1

So -2[etcos(3t) - 0.67etsin(3t)]?

jumbogala said:
So -2[etcos(3t) - 0.67etsin(3t)]?

-2[etcos(3t) + 0.67etsin(3t)]

Oops yeah, silly mistake. I think I finally understand, yay! Thanks very much for your help!

FAQ: Computing Inverse Laplace Transforms for F(s) = (-2s-2)/((s-1)^2+9)

1. What is an Inverse Laplace Transform?

An Inverse Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation used to convert a function from the Laplace domain to the time domain. It is the reverse of the Laplace Transform and is denoted by the symbol L^-1.

2. Why is an Inverse Laplace Transform important?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is important because it allows us to find the original function in the time domain from its Laplace transform. This is useful in solving differential equations and understanding the behavior of systems in the time domain.

3. How do you perform an Inverse Laplace Transform?

To perform an Inverse Laplace Transform, we use a table of Laplace transforms or the method of partial fractions. The table provides a list of known Laplace transforms and their corresponding inverse transforms. The method of partial fractions involves breaking down a function into simpler fractions and using the table to find the inverse transforms of each fraction.

4. What are the properties of Inverse Laplace Transforms?

The properties of Inverse Laplace Transforms include linearity, time-shifting, convolution, and differentiation. Linearity states that the inverse transform of a sum is equal to the sum of the individual inverse transforms. Time-shifting involves shifting the function in the time domain, while convolution deals with the multiplication of two functions. Differentiation in the Laplace domain corresponds to multiplication by t in the time domain.

5. What are the applications of Inverse Laplace Transforms?

Inverse Laplace Transforms have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used in solving differential equations, analyzing control systems, and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. They also have applications in signal processing, probability theory, and fluid dynamics, to name a few.

Back