Inverse of Möbius transform - w(z)?

In summary, the conversation discusses extracting T from Tz in matrix form to find the inverse of w(z), which is in the form of a moebius transform. However, it is not possible to do so as the moebius transform is not linear. The solution is to invert w(z) using algebra.
Jaynte

Homework Statement

I want to know how I could extract T from Tz in matrix form so I can
get [tex]T^{-1}[/tex] to get the inverse of w(z).

w(z)=Tz=[tex]\frac{az+b}{cz+d}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't. The moebius transform is not linear and only linear transforms can be written as matrices.

Thanks.

So how how do I solve it if I don't want to remember the answer [tex]z(w)=\frac{-dw+b}{cw-a}?[/tex]

You invert it like you invert any other function. If w=(az+b)/(cz+d), solve that equation for z using algebra.

Of course, I am to tired now I should go to sleep :) Thank you.

1. What is the Inverse of Möbius transform?

The Inverse of Möbius transform, also known as the inverse Möbius transformation or inverse Cayley transformation, is a mathematical operation that undoes the effect of a Möbius transformation. It maps a point in the complex plane back to its original location before the transformation was applied.

2. How is the Inverse of Möbius transform calculated?

The Inverse of Möbius transform is calculated using the same formula as the Möbius transform, but with the coefficients in reverse order. For example, if the Möbius transform is w(z) = (az + b)/(cz + d), then the Inverse of Möbius transform is z(w) = (dw - b)/(a - cw).

3. What is the significance of the Inverse of Möbius transform?

The Inverse of Möbius transform has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used to solve problems involving conformal mapping, complex dynamics, and the study of Riemann surfaces. It is also useful in geometric transformations and in the study of symmetry in various systems.

4. Can the Inverse of Möbius transform have multiple solutions?

Yes, the Inverse of Möbius transform can have multiple solutions or be undefined for certain values of the coefficients a, b, c, and d. This is because the Möbius transform is not bijective, meaning that multiple different points in the complex plane can map to the same point after the transformation. Therefore, the inverse operation may not be unique.

5. How is the Inverse of Möbius transform related to other mathematical concepts?

The Inverse of Möbius transform is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as complex analysis, group theory, and projective geometry. It is also connected to the theory of fractional linear transformations and has applications in calculus, differential equations, and quantum field theory.