Inverse of velocity function? *Have pics of attempt*

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of inverse functions and their physical implications in terms of mass and velocity. The inverse function, f-1, is a unique map from mass to velocity magnitude and represents a one-to-one correspondence between the two variables. The purpose of this discussion is to understand the meaning of the inverse function in relation to the given equations and how it applies to real-world scenarios.
Morhas

Homework Statement

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4863/12544262.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if I did this right. If I did, I can't find what meaning the inverse of this functions has :S. Any help is appreciated.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7153/27743903.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
f is a map from v to m, ie
m = f(v)

f-1 will be the map from m to v, ie
v = f-1(m)

I think I understand this, but what does it mean physically speaking in terms of mass and the velocity?

not too sure... maybe that for a given object there is one to one correspondence between mass & magnitude of velocity, so f-1, is the unique map from mass to velocity magnitude

Related to Inverse of velocity function? *Have pics of attempt*

What is the inverse of a velocity function?

The inverse of a velocity function is a function that gives the time at which a specific velocity occurs. It is the opposite of the original velocity function, which gives the velocity at a specific time.

How do you find the inverse of a velocity function?

To find the inverse of a velocity function, you can follow these steps:1. Write the original velocity function in the form of y = f(x).2. Swap the variables x and y, so the equation becomes x = f(y).3. Solve for y to get the inverse function.

What is the relationship between a velocity function and its inverse?

The relationship between a velocity function and its inverse is that they are reflections of each other across the line y = x. This means that any point on the original velocity function will have the same x and y coordinates on the inverse function, and vice versa.

Why is it important to find the inverse of a velocity function?

It is important to find the inverse of a velocity function because it allows us to solve for time instead of velocity. This can be useful in many real-world situations, such as calculating the time it takes for an object to reach a certain velocity.

How can you verify if you have correctly found the inverse of a velocity function?

To verify if you have correctly found the inverse of a velocity function, you can use the composition of functions method. This involves plugging the inverse function into the original function, and if the result is x, then you have correctly found the inverse function.