Inverse Square Law Homework: Help with #2 Needed

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with the second question of their homework. The question is vague and the response suggests giving a vague answer about the force spreading out in relation to the radius. For part b), it is suggested to give an opinion and provide a reason to support it.
halvizo1031

Homework Statement

Can someone help me out with number two please? I'm not sure what exactly it's asking me to do.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really think you can DO much of anything. Except try to match the vagueness of the question with an equally vague answer. They expect you to say that at double the radius the "force" "spreads out" from a 1x1 square to a 2x2 square, so it decreases proportional to the area. And at triple the radius it's spread over a 3x3 square. It's really an awful question. For part b) just give an opinion. Try back it up by giving your reason for the opinion. That's all I can say.

1. What is the Inverse Square Law?

The Inverse Square Law is a physical principle that states that the intensity of a physical quantity (such as light, sound, or gravitational force) is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as the distance from the source increases, the intensity decreases exponentially.

2. How does the Inverse Square Law apply to light?

The Inverse Square Law applies to light because light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that follows this principle. This means that as light travels away from its source, its intensity decreases in proportion to the square of the distance.

3. Why is the Inverse Square Law important in science?

The Inverse Square Law is important in science because it helps us understand the relationship between distance and intensity of various physical quantities. It is used in fields such as astronomy, photography, and acoustics to make accurate measurements and predictions.

4. How is the Inverse Square Law used in photography?

In photography, the Inverse Square Law is used to determine the correct exposure settings for a photograph. This is because the intensity of light decreases as it travels from the subject to the camera, and understanding this relationship is crucial in achieving a well-exposed photograph.

5. Can you provide an example of the Inverse Square Law in action?

One example of the Inverse Square Law in action is the brightness of stars. As we observe stars from Earth, their apparent brightness decreases as the distance between us and the star increases. This is due to the Inverse Square Law, as the intensity of light from the star decreases with distance.