How Do I Solve Trig Equations with Exact Values in a Given Domain?

In summary, the conversation is about two trigonometry questions involving sin and cos equations. The goal is to solve for x in the domain [0, 2pi] using inverse trigonometric functions. The first question involves finding the exact values for sinx = ±1/5, while the second question is about solving for x in the equation cos2(x) - 1.5cosx - 0.54 = 0. There is a clarification about the meaning of "cos2-1.5cosx-0.54" and the conversation ends with the request for help with solving these problems.
zaddyzad

Homework Statement

I have two questions sin2x = 1/25 and this obviously becomes sinx= +-(1/5)
I also have cos2-1.5cosx-0.54 and cosx = (-3/10) and (9/5)

Now this is asking for me to solve for the x value in radians in the domain [0,2pi] and I have no idea how to solve these for exact values. Help would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

Physics news on Phys.org
zaddyzad said:

Homework Statement

I have two questions sin2x = 1/25 and this obviously becomes sinx= +-(1/5)
I also have cos2-1.5cosx-0.54 and cosx = (-3/10) and (9/5)
What does "cos2-1.5cosx-0.54 " mean?
cos(x) can't possibly equal 9/5.
zaddyzad said:
Now this is asking for me to solve for the x value in radians in the domain [0,2pi] and I have no idea how to solve these for exact values. Help would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

that was my second equation, and my bad for putting it down as it is an extraneous root.

"cos2-1.5cosx-0.54" is NOT an equation.

Did you mean cos2(x) - 1.5cosx-0.54 = 0?

Are there two separate questions, or do you have a question about a system of two equations?

Help us out here - don't make us guess about this stuff...

Sorry, it is two questions. And yes those are my two problems that I need to solve over the domain [0,2pi]
I need help solving for x using inverse trig.

For the first question, if you had sin(x) = ±1/4, there are two numbers in [0, ##2\pi##] for which sin(x) = 1/4 and two more in this interval for which sin(x) = -1/4.

If we let θ be the smallest of the four values, we have sin(θ) = 1/4, so θ = sin-1(1/4). The other value in that interval for which sin(θ) = 1/4 is ##\pi - \theta##, or ##\pi - sin^{-1}(1/4)##. These are the exact values.

Similar work will get you the two values for which sin(θ) = -1/4.

Your first problem is similar to this.

Related to How Do I Solve Trig Equations with Exact Values in a Given Domain?

What is inverse trigonometry?

Inverse trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the inverse functions of trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It involves finding the angle measurement for a given ratio of sides in a right triangle.

Why is inverse trigonometry important?

Inverse trigonometry is important because it allows us to find missing angle measurements in a right triangle, which is useful in many real-world applications such as surveying, navigation, and engineering. It also helps in solving trigonometric equations and simplifying complex trigonometric expressions.

What are the inverse trigonometric functions?

The inverse trigonometric functions are arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent, denoted as sin-1, cos-1, and tan-1 respectively. These functions take a ratio of sides as input and output an angle measurement in radians or degrees.

How do you find the value of an inverse trigonometric function?

The value of an inverse trigonometric function can be found by using a calculator or by using trigonometric tables. It can also be found by using the inverse trigonometric identities and properties, such as the Pythagorean identities and the sum and difference identities.

What is the domain and range of inverse trigonometric functions?

The domain of inverse trigonometric functions is the set of all possible input values, which is usually between -1 and 1. The range is the set of all output values, which is usually between -π/2 and π/2 for arcsine and arctangent, and between 0 and π for arccosine.