Get Expert Help with Invertible Matrices: Tips and Techniques

• Thread starter FancyChancey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation is about the invertibility of matrices and the conditions under which a matrix is invertible. The first problem involves determining when a matrix, (A+2A-1), is invertible and finding a matrix B that satisfies the equation (A+2A-1)B=I. The second problem states that if a real matrix B satisfies B2-2B+1=0, then B-I cannot be invertible. The third problem discusses the existence of a non-invertible matrix B that satisfies B2-2B+1=0, and suggests that the values of B could be either ? or ?.
FancyChancey
Hi all. I'm having a real tough time with this question. I don't know where to begin and how to go about the question. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

(Problem is on the attachment)

Attachments

• #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 342
Physics news on Phys.org

haven't we seen this before?

a) If A is invertible, then (A+ 2A-1) is invertible.
When does there exist a matrix, B, such that (A+ 2A-1)B= I?
If I remember correctly, a matrix is invertible if and only if it's determinant is not 0. What is the determinant of A+ 2A-1?

b) If a real matrix B satisfies B2- 2B+ 1= 0, then B-I cannot be invertible.
B2- 2B+I= (B- I)2

c) There is a non-invertible matrix, B, satisfying B2- 2B+ I= 0.
As I said, B2-2B+ I= (B-I)2. Therefore B= ? or ?. Is either of those non-invertible?

Hi there,

I understand that you are struggling with understanding how to approach a question involving invertible matrices. First of all, don't worry, it is a common problem and there are definitely ways to help you out.

To begin with, let's define what an invertible matrix is. An invertible matrix is a square matrix (meaning it has the same number of rows and columns) that can be inverted, or turned into an identity matrix when multiplied by its inverse. In simpler terms, an invertible matrix is one that has a unique solution for its inverse.

Now, for your question, the first step would be to check if the given matrix is indeed invertible. This can be done by calculating its determinant, which should not be zero for an invertible matrix.

Next, you can use various techniques to find the inverse of the matrix, such as using the adjugate matrix method or the Gaussian elimination method. These techniques involve manipulating the given matrix through certain operations to arrive at its inverse.

I would also suggest seeking help from a tutor or a classmate who is familiar with invertible matrices. They can provide you with step-by-step guidance and clarify any doubts you may have.

Remember, practice makes perfect, so don't be discouraged if it takes some time to fully understand invertible matrices. Keep practicing and seeking help, and you will eventually master this topic.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction. Good luck!

What is an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has a unique inverse. This means that when multiplied by its inverse, it results in the identity matrix.

How do I determine if a matrix is invertible?

A matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero. The determinant of a matrix can be found by performing a series of calculations on the elements of the matrix. If the determinant is non-zero, the matrix is invertible.

What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied with the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. It is essentially the reciprocal of the original matrix.

How do I find the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix can be found by using various methods, such as Gauss-Jordan elimination or the adjugate matrix method. These methods involve performing a series of calculations on the original matrix to obtain the inverse.

Why is the inverse of a matrix important?

The inverse of a matrix is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations and perform other mathematical operations with ease. It is also used in various applications such as cryptography, computer graphics, and optimization problems.