Investigating the Physics of a Cube Submerged in Fluid with Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses a math research topic involving fluid dynamics and a cube submerged in a room filled with liquid. The main questions revolve around friction, liquid drag force, buoyancy force, and the role of viscosity. The research question is focused on determining the maximum amount of liquid a cube with specific conditions can carry while submerged. The conversation also touches on the need to understand fluid dynamics and the possibility of changing equations.
MisterMumbleX
I came up with a math research topic dealing with fluid dynamics, but I do not understand fluid dynamics much, so I would like to know what happens in the following situation:
A cube is on the bottom surface of a room. The cube is to be filled with a certain amount of fluid, and the room is completely filled with a certain amount of (not necessarily different) fluid, meaning that the cube is submerged in this fluid since the cube is in the room. The cube is given a certain amount of momentum.

My main questions are these:
will the cube experience friction with the bottom surface (which isn't frictionless) of the room?
will the cube experience a liquid drag force defined in the equation here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_equation?
if there was no friction with the bottom surface of the floor, would the drag force bring the cube to a stop (v = 0) or would it bring it to a terminal velocity?
when there is friction (which I assume there is), would the liquid drag force still bring the cube to a terminal velocity, then the cube comes to a stop due to friction, or what?
at the bottom surface of the room, the cube experiences a buoyancy force upward right against gravity right?
how does viscosity and viscosity force come into play here?

The math research question I came up with in case someone wanted to know what it was:
What is the maximum amount of a liquid a cube of a given surface area, on a non-frictionless surface, and given a specific momentum can carry across a certain distance while submerged in a certain liquid?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MisterMumbleX said:
I came up with a math research topic dealing with fluid dynamics, but I do not understand fluid dynamics much, so I would like to know what happens in the following situation:
A cube is on the bottom surface of a room. The cube is to be filled with a certain amount of fluid, and the room is completely filled with a certain amount of (not necessarily different) fluid, meaning that the cube is submerged in this fluid since the cube is in the room. The cube is given a certain amount of momentum.

My main questions are these:
will the cube experience friction with the bottom surface (which isn't frictionless) of the room?
I think it wouldn't be able to rise. Like a fallen submarine.
will the cube experience a liquid drag force defined in the equation here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_equation?
The equation may have to be changed. I have to read the derivation.
if there was no friction with the bottom surface of the floor, would the drag force bring the cube to a stop (v = 0) or would it bring it to a terminal velocity?
If the force that imparts momentum is stopped, it'd suddenly reach v=0.
If the force is going on i think it'll reach terminal velocity.
when there is friction (which I assume there is), would the liquid drag force still bring the cube to a terminal velocity, then the cube comes to a stop due to friction, or what?
The continued force on the body would be reduced by a constant amount of frictional force against it.
So. terminal velocity.
at the bottom surface of the room, the cube experiences a buoyancy force upward right against gravity right?
With no liquid under it, it'd be difficult to get a push upwards.
how does viscosity and viscosity force come into play here?
as it does normally? (I know only mechanics. No fluid dynamics.)

The math research question I came up with in case someone wanted to know what it was:
What is the maximum amount of a liquid a cube of a given surface area, on a non-frictionless surface, and given a specific momentum can carry across a certain distance while submerged in a certain liquid?

would depend on densities and masses and forces. Is fluid dynamics mechanics extended?

1. What is the purpose of investigating the physics of a cube submerged in fluid with momentum?

The purpose of this investigation is to better understand the behavior of objects in fluid environments and how momentum plays a role in their movement. This knowledge can have practical applications in fields such as engineering and fluid dynamics.

2. How does the shape of the cube affect its movement in the fluid?

The shape of the cube has a significant impact on its movement in the fluid. A cube with a larger surface area will experience more drag and resistance, slowing down its movement. On the other hand, a cube with a more streamlined shape will experience less drag and can move more easily through the fluid.

3. What factors influence the momentum of a cube in fluid?

The momentum of a cube in fluid is influenced by several factors, including its mass, velocity, and the density and viscosity of the fluid. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the cube can also affect its momentum.

4. How does the density of the fluid affect the movement of the cube?

The density of the fluid plays a crucial role in the movement of the cube. A more dense fluid will provide more resistance and make it harder for the cube to move through it. On the other hand, a less dense fluid will offer less resistance, allowing the cube to move more easily.

5. What are some potential real-world applications of understanding the physics of a cube submerged in fluid with momentum?

Understanding the physics of a cube in fluid can have various real-world applications. For example, it can help engineers design more efficient boats and submarines, or it can assist in predicting the movement of debris and pollutants in bodies of water. It can also have implications in industries such as aerospace and marine biology.