Ionization potentials, quantum defects

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of the quantum defects \delta(0) and \delta(1) for potassium by using the first ionization potential of potassium and the transition wavelength of 768nm. The equation E_{nl} = -\frac{R_H}{[n-\delta(l)]^2} is used to solve for \delta(0) and \delta(1), with the additional equation IE = -\frac{R_H}{[4-\delta(0)]^2} being used to solve for these values. However, this leads to four possible values for \delta(1) due to the quadratic term in the equation. Further assistance is requested in solving this problem.
Brewer

Homework Statement

The first ionization potential of potassium (Z=19) is 4.34eV, and the 4p--->4s transition occurs at approximately 768nm. Use this information to find the values of the quantum defects [tex]\delta[/tex](0) and [tex]\delta[/tex](1) for potassium, and hence to estimate the wavelength of the 6p--->4s transition.

Homework Equations

[tex]E_{nl} = -\frac{R_H}{[n-\delta(l)]^2}[/tex] will definitely be used, but I can't see what else at the moment.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've said so far that [tex]\frac{hc}{768*10^{-9}} = R_H(\frac{1}{[4- \delta (1)]^2} - \frac{1}{[4- \delta (0)]^2})[/tex].

I've also said that the 4.34eV ionization potential is the energy required to remove the outermost electron from its 4s state to infinity. So if I substitue in n=infinity into the equation along with n=4 and l=0 I should be able to solve the equation for [tex]\delta[/tex](0). I've done this and I get two values of [tex]\delta[/tex](0) (as I expected, because its a quadratic term on the bottom of the equation), but this seems to lead to far too much degeneracy in the answer. With 2 values for delta0 this leads to 4 values for delta1.

Help please anyone??

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the above equation along with:

[tex]IE = -\frac{R_H}{[4-\delta(0)]^2}[/tex]

That's 2 equations in 2 unknowns.

What is ionization potential?

Ionization potential is the energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule, resulting in the formation of a positively charged ion.

How is ionization potential measured?

Ionization potential is typically measured in units of electron volts (eV) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol). It can be determined experimentally using various spectroscopic techniques or calculated using theoretical models.

What factors affect ionization potential?

The main factors that affect ionization potential include the nuclear charge (number of protons in the nucleus), the distance between the nucleus and the electron, and the electron's energy level in the atom.

What is quantum defect?

Quantum defect is a term used to describe the difference between the theoretical and experimental values of the ionization potential for an electron in a specific energy level. It takes into account the interactions between the electron and the nucleus, as well as other electrons in the atom.

How is quantum defect related to the quantum mechanical model?

The quantum mechanical model of the atom explains the concept of quantum defects by considering electrons as having both wave-like and particle-like properties. The interactions between the electron and nucleus can be described using quantum mechanics, and the resulting quantum defects can be calculated using this model.