My new iPod is a Paper Weight - Can Anyone Help?

In summary, the speaker recently obtained a new iPod and encountered a problem when trying to use it on their computer. After reformatting it with the iTunes updater, the iPod is now unable to turn on, be recognized by the computer, or charge. The speaker is seeking assistance and suggests trying to restart the iPod by holding the "Menu" and "Select" buttons. They also suspect that the firmware may have been wiped during the reformat and are unsure if it can be replaced from a computer.
Benjin
i just got a new http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15967520 and when i plugged it into my computer it said to reformat it, so i did using the itunes updater, and now i can't even turn it on, the computer doesn't recognize it, and it doesn't charge... essentially a paper weight now. can anyone help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Benjin said:
i just got a new ipod and when i plugged it into my computer it said to reformat it, so i did using the itunes updater, and now i can't even turn it on, the computer doesn't recognize it, and it doesn't charge... essentially a paper weight now. can anyone help me?

Try to restart your iPod by holding the "Menu" and "Select" buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds.

Five bucks says the firmware got wiped in the reformat. In which case...well i dunno. My MP3 player let me replace the firmware from my computer. Dunno about ipods though.

1. Why is my new iPod not working?

There could be several reasons why your new iPod is not working. It could be due to a technical malfunction, a software issue, or a defective product. It is best to troubleshoot the problem or contact customer support for assistance.

2. Can I fix my paperweight iPod?

It depends on the cause of the problem. If it is a hardware issue, it may be difficult to fix on your own. However, if it is a software issue, you may be able to reset or restore your iPod to get it working again.

3. What should I do if my new iPod is still under warranty?

If your new iPod is still under warranty, you should contact the manufacturer or retailer for a replacement or repair. Make sure to have your receipt or proof of purchase on hand.

4. Is there a way to prevent my iPod from becoming a paperweight?

To prevent your iPod from becoming a paperweight, it is important to take good care of it. Avoid dropping it, exposing it to extreme temperatures or water, and regularly update its software to prevent any malfunctions.

5. Should I consider buying a different brand of MP3 player?

It ultimately depends on your personal preference and experience. While your new iPod may have encountered an issue, it does not necessarily reflect the quality of the brand as a whole. Consider researching reviews and ratings of different MP3 players before making a decision.