1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IRC chat?

1. Apr 6, 2004 #1
    Has any thought been put into creating a PF channel on some network, perhaps even your own?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2004 #2
    It's on our list of things to do :smile:

4. Apr 6, 2004 #3
    IRC chats are evil. OPs are corrupt with the little power they have, there is always a troll, someone who TYPS LIK THIS!!!

How about just a chat, like DigiChat based on the website?

5. Apr 6, 2004 #4
    I don't see how the risk is any more great than a forum and we handle things pretty well :wink:

6. Apr 7, 2004 #5
    A chat is a chat is a chat. What difference do the protocol or platform make?

7. Apr 7, 2004 #6
    An attempt was made earlier to put PF on IRC. It was hosted on dduardo's temporary server and was moved to irc.tehnicom.net. I think it fizzled out because only a few people were on at a time, and several of the discussions were mainly about women :smile:

8. Jul 15, 2006 #7
    The #physics channel on freenode is a good place to hang, FWIW

9. Jul 15, 2006 #8
    I would never recommend an IRC chat..i used once and i had my computer "hacked"..IRC channel are very (or can be) dangerous...i would study other alternatives...

10. Jul 15, 2006 #9

JamesU

Gold Member

This threads is 2 years old :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?