Create PF Channel: IRC Chat Discussion

• Thread starter Chen
  • Start date
In summary, there have been discussions about creating a PF channel on a network, but it has not been implemented yet. Some suggested using IRC chats, but there are concerns about trolls and corrupt OPs. Others suggested using a chat like DigiChat on the website instead. However, there are also concerns about security risks with IRC chats. Overall, the idea of having a chat for PF has been discussed but not fully decided upon.
Chen
Has any thought been put into creating a PF channel on some network, perhaps even your own?

Physics news on Phys.org
IRC chats are evil. OPs are corrupt with the little power they have, there is always a troll, someone who TYPS LIK THIS!

How about just a chat, like DigiChat based on the website?

Dagenais said:
IRC chats are evil. OPs are corrupt with the little power they have, there is always a troll, someone who TYPS LIK THIS!

I don't see how the risk is any more great than a forum and we handle things pretty well :wink:

Dagenais said:

A chat is a chat is a chat. What difference do the protocol or platform make?

An attempt was made earlier to put PF on IRC. It was hosted on dduardo's temporary server and was moved to irc.tehnicom.net. I think it fizzled out because only a few people were on at a time, and several of the discussions were mainly about women :smile:

The #physics channel on freenode is a good place to hang, FWIW

I would never recommend an IRC chat..i used once and i had my computer "hacked"..IRC channel are very (or can be) dangerous...i would study other alternatives...

This threads is 2 years old :confused:

1. What is a PF channel?

A PF channel is a specific chat room or discussion area within an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) network that is dedicated to discussing a particular topic or interest. It is created by a user or group of users and can be accessed by anyone with an IRC client.

2. How do I create a PF channel?

To create a PF channel, you will need to have an IRC client and access to an IRC network. Once you are connected to the network, you can use the command /join #channelname to create the channel and join it. Make sure to choose a unique and appropriate name for your channel.

3. What are the benefits of using a PF channel?

Using a PF channel allows you to connect with like-minded individuals and have focused discussions on a specific topic. It also allows for real-time communication and the ability to share information and resources quickly and easily.

4. How do I moderate a PF channel?

If you are the creator of a PF channel, you will automatically have moderation privileges. This means you can set rules for the channel, manage users, and remove disruptive or inappropriate behavior. You can also assign moderators to help you manage the channel.

5. Can I create multiple PF channels on the same IRC network?

Yes, you can create multiple PF channels on the same IRC network. However, it is important to follow the guidelines and rules set by the network and make sure your channels are not causing any disruptions or conflicts with other channels or users.