Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IRC chat?

1. Apr 6, 2004 #1
    Has any thought been put into creating a PF channel on some network, perhaps even your own?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2004 #2
    It's on our list of things to do :smile:
  4. Apr 6, 2004 #3
    IRC chats are evil. OPs are corrupt with the little power they have, there is always a troll, someone who TYPS LIK THIS!!!

How about just a chat, like DigiChat based on the website?
  5. Apr 6, 2004 #4
    I don't see how the risk is any more great than a forum and we handle things pretty well :wink:
  6. Apr 7, 2004 #5
    A chat is a chat is a chat. What difference do the protocol or platform make?
  7. Apr 7, 2004 #6
    An attempt was made earlier to put PF on IRC. It was hosted on dduardo's temporary server and was moved to irc.tehnicom.net. I think it fizzled out because only a few people were on at a time, and several of the discussions were mainly about women :smile:
  8. Jul 15, 2006 #7
    The #physics channel on freenode is a good place to hang, FWIW
  9. Jul 15, 2006 #8
    I would never recommend an IRC chat..i used once and i had my computer "hacked"..IRC channel are very (or can be) dangerous...i would study other alternatives...
  10. Jul 15, 2006 #9

Gold Member

This threads is 2 years old :confused:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?