Iron Deficiency Anemia: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment

• Thread starter Asmaa Mohammad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blood Iron
In summary, the conversation discusses a multiple choice question on iron deficiency anemia and whether choices ii) and iii) are correct. The conversation highlights the importance of understanding definitions and terminology in order to eliminate incorrect choices. It also mentions the need to consider prevalence statistics when selecting the correct answer.
Asmaa Mohammad
Thread moved from the techniccal forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown.
I came across this MCQ in my book, it says:

Iron deficiency anemia...
i) is of hypochromic, macrocytic type.
ii) is commonly associated with chronic blood loss.
iii) is common cause of anemia in infants below 1 year.
iv) may increase the number of megaloblasts.
v) is more common in males.

I have to fill the spaces using one of the choices, but I think that both ii) and iii) are correct and related to the iron deficiency anemia.

ii) is correct because there will be a deficiency in the iron in the body.

iii) is correct ( in my opinion) because infants below 1 year are still fed on breast milk which may be poor in iron.

So, is there a mistake in the question? or there is something am not aware of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the list made anything clearer for me. It's written that iron deficiency is due to poor diet and chronic/acute blood loss.

So still answers ii) and iii) are correct, right?

In multiple choice questions, it is often the elimination of wrong choices that is important.
You must study the specific definitions and terminology in order to identify the remaining question by elimination.

ii) Might be correct, but what does “commonly” really mean?

iii) Sounds good, but you need to look at the relative prevalence statistics.

1. What is iron deficiency anemia?

Iron deficiency anemia is a condition in which there is a decrease in the amount of red blood cells due to insufficient iron in the body. Red blood cells are responsible for carrying oxygen to different parts of the body, and without enough iron, the body cannot produce enough of these cells.

2. What are the common causes of iron deficiency anemia?

The most common cause of iron deficiency anemia is a lack of iron in the diet. Other causes include chronic bleeding (from conditions such as ulcers, hemorrhoids, or heavy menstrual periods), pregnancy, and certain medications that interfere with iron absorption.

3. What are the symptoms of iron deficiency anemia?

The symptoms of iron deficiency anemia may vary, but the most common ones include fatigue, weakness, pale skin, shortness of breath, dizziness, and headaches. In severe cases, it may also cause chest pain, rapid heartbeat, and difficulty in concentrating.

4. How is iron deficiency anemia diagnosed?

To diagnose iron deficiency anemia, your doctor will perform a physical exam, review your medical history, and order blood tests to check your red blood cell count and levels of iron, ferritin, and other important markers. In some cases, your doctor may also recommend a bone marrow biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.

5. What are the treatment options for iron deficiency anemia?

The treatment for iron deficiency anemia depends on the underlying cause and severity of the condition. It often involves taking iron supplements and making dietary changes to increase iron intake. In severe cases, blood transfusions or iron injections may be necessary. It is important to consult with a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment plan.