1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Iron deficiency anemia

Tags:
  1. Nov 9, 2017 #1
    • Thread moved from the techniccal forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown.
    I came across this MCQ in my book, it says:

Iron deficiency anemia......
    i) is of hypochromic, macrocytic type.
    ii) is commonly associated with chronic blood loss.
    iii) is common cause of anemia in infants below 1 year.
    iv) may increase the number of megaloblasts.
    v) is more common in males.

I have to fill the spaces using one of the choices, but I think that both ii) and iii) are correct and related to the iron deficiency anemia.

ii) is correct because there will be a deficiency in the iron in the body.

iii) is correct ( in my opinion) because infants below 1 year are still fed on breast milk which may be poor in iron.

So, is there a mistake in the question? or there is something am not aware of it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2017 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

4. Nov 15, 2017 #3
    I don't think the list made anything clearer for me. It's written that iron deficiency is due to poor diet and chronic/acute blood loss.

So still answers ii) and iii) are correct, right?

5. Nov 15, 2017 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

In multiple choice questions, it is often the elimination of wrong choices that is important.
    You must study the specific definitions and terminology in order to identify the remaining question by elimination.

ii) Might be correct, but what does “commonly” really mean?

iii) Sounds good, but you need to look at the relative prevalence statistics.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted