Funny Baseball Names: Balfour & Walker

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Baseball
In summary, the conversation discusses the World Series and the teams involved. Tampa Bay has a pitcher named Balfour who is known for throwing at people's heads. The manager, Joe Maddon, is compared to a child molester. The conversation also touches on the ignorance of the Rays fans and the political incorrectness of their team name. The Phillies are mentioned as a rival team and there is speculation about former President Bill Clinton's thoughts on the game.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm half (maybe only a quarter) watching the World Series...

...Tampa Bay has a pitcher named Balfour :smile: ! That's as bad as a pitcher named Walker.

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
I'm half (maybe only a quarter) watching the World Series...

...Tampa Bay has a pitcher named Balfour :smile: ! That's as bad as a pitcher named Walker.

The Rays suck. One of their pitchers named Matt Garza, who's pitching in Game 3 has a dick nose. Balfour is an angry white dude that throws at people's heads. Joe Maddon, the manager looks like a child molester, and their fans are so ignorant of baseball that the LCD board needs to tell them when to get excited and to remind them of what team they should be rooting for.

Ok...a little mad still? Cyrus is good at riling people up...lol.

binzing said:
Ok...a little mad still? Cyrus is good at riling people up...lol.

I'm fine. I'm just stating the facts.

Go Phils!

russ_watters said:
Go Phils!
If the Phillies win this then there is sure to be a lot of water cooler talk on the subject. I hope someone will post the scores, the number of innings, and the strikeout zones here on PF so that I will be able to join in the conversation.

LightbulbSun said:
The Rays suck. One of their pitchers named Matt Garza, who's pitching in Game 3 has a dick nose. Balfour is an angry white dude that throws at people's heads.
Why do you consider his race important?

Joe Maddon, the manager looks like a child molester
You have a lot of experience with child molesters, do you? What do they look like?

, and their fans are so ignorant of baseball that the LCD board needs to tell them when to get excited and to remind them of what team they should be rooting for.

russ_watters said:
Go Phils!

How come no one has ever put pressure on them to change their name? It seems to me having a cigar as nickname is pretty politically incorrect in today's anti-smoking climate.

Do you think Bill Clinton is rooting for the Phillies?

BobG said:
How come no one has ever put pressure on them to change their name? It seems to me having a cigar as nickname is pretty politically incorrect in today's anti-smoking climate.

It's the perfect name for the 'close but no cigar' team.

HallsofIvy said:
Why do you consider his race important?

I don't. You're just assuming I did.

You have a lot of experience with child molesters, do you? What do they look like?

You don't need to have experience with a child molester to know the Rays manager looks like one.

BobG said:
No, but I'm sure Monica is.

Related to Funny Baseball Names: Balfour & Walker

1. What are some other funny baseball names besides Balfour and Walker?

Other funny baseball names include Coco Crisp, Rusty Kuntz, Boof Bonser, and Catfish Hunter.

2. How did Balfour and Walker get their funny names?

Grant Balfour's last name is a play on the word "bailiff," and Neil Walker's last name is a common English surname.

3. Are there any other players with the last name "Balfour" or "Walker"?

There are several other players with the last name "Balfour," including pitcher Brian Balfour and outfielder Jeremy Balfour. There are also many other players with the last name "Walker," including third baseman Todd Walker and pitcher Tyler Walker.

4. Have Balfour and Walker ever played on the same team?

No, Balfour and Walker have never played on the same team. Balfour played for several teams during his career, including the Minnesota Twins and Oakland Athletics, while Walker played for the Pittsburgh Pirates and New York Mets.

5. Are Balfour and Walker still playing in the MLB?

No, both Balfour and Walker have retired from playing in the MLB. Balfour last played in 2015 and Walker last played in 2019.