1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irrational natural log integral

1. May 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the indefinite integral of (1+lnx)^(1/2)/(xlnx) dx

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    There aren't any x^2 in the root sign, so I don't think it can be a trig substitution. The only logical u sub I see is to let u=lnx. In that case, du=dx/x so the integral becomes (u+1)^(1/2)/u du. Unfortunately, I don't have any good ways to evaluate that integral.

I wanted to try another sub letting m=(u+1)^(1/2) which makes m^2=u+1. Then u=m^2-1 and du=2mdm. that left me with 2 times the integral of m^2/(m^2-1) dm. I think I can solve that using partial fractions [integral of 1+1(m^2-1) dm : A(m-1)+B(m+1)=1, A=-1/2 and B=1/2, solution=m-1/2lnm+1/2lnm, backsub a few times to get (lnx+1)^(1/2)-(1/2)ln(lnx+1)+(1/2)ln(lnx+1)+c] but I'm not at all confident in that answer or in my methods there at the last.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2007 #2
    My first thought was the substitution u = xln(x), then du = (1 + ln(x)) dx, but the square root there messes it up.

4. May 14, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nice try. You've basically got it. Except that after you finished the m integration you substituted ln(x) for m in the log parts of the expression. m=sqrt(ln(x)+1). And don't forget your overall factor of 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?