Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irrational numbers in infinite list of integers

1. Mar 13, 2010 #1
    Is it safe to assume that the absolute value of sin x is greater than zero for all positive integer values of x? I have no real experience in number theory, and I don't know if you can say that there are no irrational numbers in an infinite list of integers.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you convince yourself that this conjecture is equivalent to
    Every integer is rational​

4. Mar 13, 2010 #3
    If sin(x)=0 for positive x, then x=k*pi for some positive integer k. If x is an integer, then x/k=pi should raise a red flag.

5. Mar 14, 2010 #4
    are you talking of integer degrees or radians?

6. Mar 14, 2010 #5
    Integer radians. Sorry if this was a super obvious question. I guess I was just thinking too much into it.

7. Mar 23, 2010 #6
    If you mean to ask whether the intervals [2npi,(2n+1)pi) (where sinx >0) contain integers, the answer is yes ( as pi>1).

8. Mar 24, 2010 #7
    SineX = 0 only where X = n*pi radians. But n*pi must be an irrational number or 0. Thus SineX is either greater than or less than 0 for any integer angle n in radians where n>0. I think this is what the poser was asking.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  9. Mar 25, 2010 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, since any integer, n, can be written as the fraction n/1, all integers are rational numbers. There are no irrational integers. It is true that sin(n) is never 0 for any integer n- but that does NOT mean "greater than 0". sin(4) is negative.

10. Mar 25, 2010 #9
    While I used the langauge "Sine x" is "greater than or less than 0", the poser asked whether "the absolute value of Sine x is greater than 0 for all integer values of x.". I think you had my language in mind when you overlook the "absolute value" part of the poser's question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook