What is the Sum of Two Irrational Numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of rational and irrational numbers and whether the resulting sum will be rational or irrational. It is mentioned that adding two rational numbers will always result in a rational number, while adding a rational and an irrational number will result in an irrational number. However, the sum of two irrational numbers can be either rational or irrational, as shown by the examples provided. The question of how to determine the algebraic nature of the sum of two irrational numbers is raised, but it is concluded that there is no specific rule or theorem for this.
CollectiveRocker
I have a question. I realize that two rational numbers added together equal a rational number and that a rational added to a irrational equal a irrational number; but how do I show what a irrational plus a irrational equal?

Physics news on Phys.org
They can be either. For example, Sqrt(2) + (2 - Sqrt(2)) is rational but Sqrt(2) + Sqrt(3) is not.

Do I just do two separate cases then?

For what? There's nothing to prove.

So is it ok for me to just say that then? With no steps of the proof?

You can say:"When adding two irrational numbers,there's no rule/theorem to tell us the algebric nature of the resulting number"...

Daniel.

First, you need to figure out what you're trying to say. Then, worry about how to justify it.

1. What is the result of adding two irrational numbers?

The result of adding two irrational numbers is always another irrational number.

2. Can an irrational number be added to a rational number?

Yes, an irrational number can be added to a rational number. The result will be an irrational number.

3. How do you add two irrational numbers?

To add two irrational numbers, you simply add them together as you would with any other numbers. However, the result will be an irrational number and may require rounding or approximations.

4. Is it possible for the sum of two irrational numbers to be a rational number?

No, it is not possible for the sum of two irrational numbers to be a rational number. Irrational numbers are defined as numbers that cannot be expressed as a fraction, so the sum of two irrational numbers will also be irrational.

5. Are there any special rules for adding irrational numbers?

No, there are no special rules for adding irrational numbers. They can be added using the same rules as any other numbers, but the result will be irrational.