1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irrotational and divergenceless?

1. Feb 3, 2004 #1
    I'm not really sure what I'm being asked to do with the following questions. Will someone help me?

How can you show that E(r)=-gradV(r) has zero curl an is irrotational, i.e. the quantity (grad x E) =0

How can you show that the magnetic field ,B(r)=grad x A(r), is divergenceless i.e. that the quantity grad dot B(r) =0?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Basically, you just go ahead and do it!

That is, start by assuming that you have V(x,y,z) so that E(r)=-gradV(r)= -Vxi- Vy-Vz and calculate curl(E)= curl(grad V). See what happens!

4. Feb 4, 2004 #3
    if B=curl A, then div B = div (curl A), the divergence of a curl is always zero. Actually this proof is usually done in the opposite order since the div B=0 is one of Maxwell's equations, valid even for time dependent phenomenon (the old there are no magnetic monopoles theorem). If div B=0 then B can be expressed as the curl of another vector, which gets labeled A and we call it the magentic vector potential.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Norm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?