Is {0} a Field? Exploring the Definition and Properties of Fields in Mathematics

• Thread starter murmillo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the set {0} is a field or not. While some definitions of a field include the requirement that 1≠0, others do not. However, it is generally agreed that a field must have at least two elements, and the empty set {} does not qualify as a field. The set {0} could be considered a field according to some definitions, but it is not a proper algebraic field.
murmillo

Homework Statement

Is {0} a field?

Homework Equations

field is ring where every non-zero a has a multiplicative inverse

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought {0} was a field, since it seems trivially true that every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse. Since there are no non-zero elements in {0}. But today I came across the proposition that if R is a field, it has exactly two ideals. Which suggests to me that {0} is not a field, because then R would have only one ideal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Every field has at least two distinct elements (i.e. the additive and the multiplicative identity), so {0} can't be a field.

It depends on how you define field. It's rather typical to include [itex]0 \neq 1[/itex] as a field axiom.

Last edited:
When 0≠1 is not included in the axioms, the characteristic of the field is defined as the smallest positive integer p such that [itex]\sum_{i=1}^p 1=0[/itex], or as 0 if no such integer exists. The field of real numbers has characteristic 0. The only field with characteristic 1 is the trivial field {0}. (Because 1=0 implies x=1x=0x=0). The characteristic is always 0,1 or a prime number.

radou: I think we must show that {0} is not a field first, then use that to prove that every field must have at least two elements.

I guess the reason why {0} is not a field is because (according to Artin) part of the definition of a field is that if F is a field then F-{0} is a group. But if {0} were a group I would have an empty group, which does not contain an identity element.

Yes, I think some books state 1 is not 0 in their definition of field, but in my notes it just said a ring where "every non-zero element has an inverse." I don't think that definition is correct. It should have said a non-zero ring where every non-zero element has an inverse, or something like that.

Thanks, guys.

gomunkul51 said:
{0} is not a proper algebraic field.
every field must have at least 2 elements.

think about it, there is no sense in a field that is an empty group :)

reference:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Field.html
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FieldAxioms.html
The first of those two references includes the requirement 1≠0. The other one doesn't. As I (and Hurkyl) said above, both definitions make sense, but are not equivalent. {0} is a field according to one of the definitions, but not the other. I don't see a problem with letting {0} be considered a field. It's already considered a group, a vector space, etc.

Fredrik said:
The first of those two references includes the requirement 1≠0. The other one doesn't. As I (and Hurkyl) said above, both definitions make sense, but are not equivalent. {0} is a field according to one of the definitions, but not the other. I don't see a problem with letting {0} be considered a field. It's already considered a group, a vector space, etc.

an Empty Set has no elements that could satisfy any of the additive and multiplicative rules !
thus it is not a field :)

*** BUT If by {0} you meant not an empty set but a set with one element 0 (zero), it could be a field :)
I think it obeys all the rules..

P.S. the additive and multiplicative identities don't have to be 1 and 0 (could be any other element), they just have to exist in the set (field).

Last edited:
Yes, {0} is a set with one element. The empty set is written either as [tex]\emptyset[/tex] or {}.

A field is a commutative ring with unity such that all nonzero elements are units.

{} is a commutative ring with no nonzero elements, so it does not violate this definition.

Why doesn't this suffice? Or does the empty set, by the same reasoning as above, not have a 1?

dmatador said:
A field is a commutative ring with unity such that all nonzero elements are units.

{} is a commutative ring with no nonzero elements, so it does not violate this definition.
{} has neither a 0 nor a 1, so it's not a ring. :tongue:

(The zero ring does have a 1. It's just equal to 0)

gomunkul51 said:
{0} is not a proper algebraic field.
every field must have at least 2 elements.

think about it, there is no sense in a field that is an empty group :)
What "empty" group are you talking about? The set of objects, {0}, with addition is a group as is the set of invertible members with multiplication. (Note that 0*0= 0 and if 0 is the only member then 0 is also the multiplicative identity so 0 has a multiplicative inverse.)

HallsofIvy said:
What "empty" group are you talking about? The set of objects, {0}, with addition is a group as is the set of invertible members with multiplication. (Note that 0*0= 0 and if 0 is the only member then 0 is also the multiplicative identity so 0 has a multiplicative inverse.)
I misunderstood {0} as being an empty set {}.
gomunkul51 said:
an Empty Set has no elements that could satisfy any of the additive and multiplicative rules !
thus it is not a field :)

*** BUT If by {0} you meant not an empty set but a set with one element 0 (zero), it could be a field :)
I think it obeys all the rules..

P.S. the additive and multiplicative identities don't have to be 1 and 0 (could be any other element), they just have to exist in the set (field).

Last edited:
The empty group isn't a group! It needs an identity element

1. What is a field in mathematics?

A field is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and two operations, addition and multiplication, that follow certain rules. It is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra and is used to study algebraic structures such as vectors, polynomials, and complex numbers.

2. What are the properties of a field?

A field must satisfy several properties, including closure under addition and multiplication, commutativity and associativity of both operations, the existence of an identity element for both operations, the existence of additive and multiplicative inverses, and the distributive property.

3. Is the set of real numbers a field?

Yes, the set of real numbers is a field. It satisfies all the properties of a field, making it a fundamental and widely used mathematical structure.

4. Can there be a field with a finite number of elements?

Yes, there are finite fields. The most well-known example is the field of integers modulo a prime number, which has a finite number of elements and satisfies all the properties of a field.

5. Why are fields important in mathematics?

Fields are important because they provide a framework for studying abstract algebraic structures and have many practical applications in areas such as number theory, cryptography, and coding theory. They also play a critical role in many areas of physics and engineering.