Is (1-Exp[-i x])^2 equal to Sin^2(x) in particle physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a mathematical problem involving the functions (1-e^{-ix})^2 and sin^2(x). While one person initially interprets the question as asking to show that the two functions are equal, they realize that this is not the case. The problem is later clarified to be related to particle physics.
y35dp
start point (1-Exp[-i x])^2, (i^2 = -1)

finish point Sin^2(x)

Physics news on Phys.org
umm... I don't quite understand what your question is or what to make of what you wrote.

I would interpret this as "given [itex]f(x)= (1- e^{-ix})^2[/itex] show that [itex]f(x)= sin^2(x)[/itex].

Except for the slight problem that they are NOT equal! For example, when [itex]x= \pi/2[/itex], [itex]1- e^{-i\pi/2}= 1+ i[/itex] while [itex]sin^2(\pi/2)= 1[/itex].

y35dp, can you please tell us what the problem really is?

That was my initial thought, that it was asking to show [tex](1-e^{-ix})^2\equiv sin^2x[/tex] but it isn't true so I was at a complete loss.

Whatever happened to the starter thread layout with the problem, equations and attempt titles?

ok this confirms my thoughts that the two aren't equal this is a particle physics problem but i though the issue was my algebra but the issue must be with my physics!

Related to Is (1-Exp[-i x])^2 equal to Sin^2(x) in particle physics?

1. What is an exponential to trig problem?

An exponential to trig problem is a mathematical question that involves finding the relationship between an exponential function and a trigonometric function. This type of problem typically requires solving for the value of a variable in either the exponential or trigonometric function.

2. How do I solve an exponential to trig problem?

To solve an exponential to trig problem, you can use algebraic techniques such as substitution, elimination, or logarithms. It is important to correctly identify the type of problem and use the appropriate method to solve it.

3. What are some common examples of exponential to trig problems?

Some common examples of exponential to trig problems include finding the value of x in equations such as y = e^x and y = sin(x), or solving for the period, amplitude, or phase shift in trigonometric functions with exponential coefficients.

4. Are there any special properties or rules for solving exponential to trig problems?

Yes, there are some special properties and rules that can be helpful when solving exponential to trig problems. For example, the exponential function e^x has a specific derivative and integral relationship with trigonometric functions. Additionally, there are identities and formulas that can be used to simplify or manipulate these types of equations.

5. How can I check if my solution to an exponential to trig problem is correct?

You can check your solution to an exponential to trig problem by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the original and solved equations and see if they intersect at the correct point.