Is a 13 MacBook Pro suitable for a degree in Nuclear Physics?

In summary, the conversation is about the best computer to use for pursuing a degree in Nuclear Physics. The speakers discuss the need for a powerful computer, the possibility of using a Mac, and the advantages of a larger screen. They also mention the option of purchasing a refurbished computer to save money.
Cmertin
I plan on getting a degree in Nuclear Physics at FSU. I NEED a new laptop this year, and I don't plan on buying another one for a couple of years. I plan on getting the 13" MacBook Pro, though I don't know if it will be good enough for a degree. Like, is there any graphically or performance intense programs that you need to use for your bachelors? I plan on going for my doctorate in Nuclear Physics, though I think after my B.S. my computer will be "out dated". Please help me so I can choose the best computer because I don't want an under powered computer, or spend to much for an over powered one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try moving your post to Academic Guidance under Science Education. I made the same mistake;)

In my experience as a nuclear physics MSc student, any intense computational stuff can be done on a computer in the lab/office, so in terms of raw computing power there is no need to spend too much. There are two things you may want to keep in mind:

1. You'll probably want to run a linux distribution (most/all of the programs I use in my analysis run on linux). Its easy enough to dual boot a PC, but I've never used a Mac so I'm not sure if its difficult or not. Something to look into I guess.

2. You may want a larger screen. There are a number of tasks in nuclear physics that are way easier to do on larger screens. For example, you may be fitting a spectrum and trying to decide whether a peak is present in a section of background or not. For the work I do, I use two external screens which are about 50cm x 35cm. Thats probably excessive for most, but a screen larger than 13' would definitely be a good idea.

Hope that helps

In terms of the MacBook Pro, I just got the 17" and love it. It's got a high definition display and graphically speaking it comes with two video cards, one for conserving battery and the other for high end graphics. Also, Mac comes with a program called boot camp on it, so it's extremely easy to run Windows or Linux on a Mac. Lastly, with a standard 4GB of RAM, it's super quick. Good Luck!

EDIT: If you're concerned about price, look at the Apple Refurbished site. It comes with a good warranty and will save you anywhere from $50 to a significant $700 depending on what you get!

1. What is a degree in Nuclear Physics?

A degree in Nuclear Physics is an undergraduate or graduate degree program that focuses on the study of the behavior and properties of atomic nuclei, nuclear energy, and nuclear radiation. It combines principles of physics, mathematics, and chemistry to explore the fundamental laws and theories that govern the behavior of matter at the nuclear level.

2. What career opportunities are available with a degree in Nuclear Physics?

There are a variety of career opportunities available for individuals with a degree in Nuclear Physics. Some common career paths include working in nuclear power plants, nuclear research facilities, government agencies, and universities. Other options include careers in medical physics, nuclear medicine, and nuclear engineering.

3. What skills do I need to have for a degree in Nuclear Physics?

To excel in a degree program in Nuclear Physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. You should also have excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, as well as a strong attention to detail. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working in a collaborative research environment.

4. What are the benefits of studying Nuclear Physics?

Studying Nuclear Physics can lead to a variety of personal and professional benefits. It allows you to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and their applications. It also opens up opportunities for a rewarding and challenging career in a variety of fields, including energy, healthcare, and national security.

5. How long does it take to complete a degree in Nuclear Physics?

The length of time it takes to complete a degree in Nuclear Physics varies depending on the level of the degree and the individual's course load. A bachelor's degree typically takes four years to complete, while a master's degree can take an additional one to two years. A doctoral degree can take an additional three to five years after completing a master's degree.