Is a 162 Verbal, 167 Math GRE Score Good Enough for Biology Grad School?

In summary, the individual got a 162 on verbal, 167 on math, and a 4 on the analytical writing section (49% for the writing). They are wondering if these scores are good enough for graduate school, specifically in the field of biology. Another individual shares their personal experience with similar scores and states that they were accepted to multiple graduate programs. They also suggest that as long as the applicant has a strong academic record and research experience, their scores should be sufficient for graduate school. The individual also mentions that their verbal and writing scores may not have been a factor in not being accepted to top-ranked programs. They advise the applicant to still apply to highly ranked programs if they are interested. Additionally, they mention that for international students
Delong
I got 162 on verbal 167 on math and 4 on the analytical writing (49% for the writing). Is this good enough for graduate school? Is it worth it to try again? I would like to go into a biology related graduate school.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just finished my first year of a molecular biology graduate program. My estimated scores on the same scale as the new test (I took the GRE just before they changed the test over the summer in 2011.) are similar to yours for verbal and math, with a higher analytical writing score, for which I got a 5 (92% below). I applied to 9 or 10 programs and received interviews at all but two (MIT and Yale), with two acceptances and two wait list spots (and declined the rest).

My opinion would be that yes, your GRE scores are good enough for graduate school, provided you have a good academic record and strong undergraduate research experiences. I can't say whether or not your scores are good enough for top-ranked programs, because I obviously didn't get into those myself for some reason. Out of the programs I was either accepted and wait listed, I was able to find one that I liked and am still happy with after my first year.

I hope this helps, Good Luck!

Yes they're good enough.

thank you all this helps a lot. I am most worried about my writing score. The results say that a four out of six translates to a 49% (yikes). I felt like I did better than that but apparently I suck at writing... It's not in the 1-3 range which is good but still isn't very good. I'm debating whether I want to try it again, I don't really want to. I'll focus on trying to get good grades and research experience instead.

phriot said:
I just finished my first year of a molecular biology graduate program. My estimated scores on the same scale as the new test (I took the GRE just before they changed the test over the summer in 2011.) are similar to yours for verbal and math, with a higher analytical writing score, for which I got a 5 (92% below). I applied to 9 or 10 programs and received interviews at all but two (MIT and Yale), with two acceptances and two wait list spots (and declined the rest).

My opinion would be that yes, your GRE scores are good enough for graduate school, provided you have a good academic record and strong undergraduate research experiences. I can't say whether or not your scores are good enough for top-ranked programs, because I obviously didn't get into those myself for some reason. Out of the programs I was either accepted and wait listed, I was able to find one that I liked and am still happy with after my first year.

I hope this helps, Good Luck!
If you couldn't get into top institutions with your scores I probably won't either. I guess that's not too much of a problem to me as long as I get into an institution this at least somewhat reputable. Thanks again for the words.

Delong said:
If you couldn't get into top institutions with your scores I probably won't either.

I would still make sure to apply to a couple of highly ranked programs if you find them to have interesting research. I personally don't think it was my GRE scores that held me back from those programs, but you never know.

From what I understand, your verbal and writing scores only matters if you're an international student (I guess it serves as further verification that you can read and write English well enough). The general Math score should be high, but still isn't nearly as important as your Physics GRE score.

1)

What is considered a good GRE score for biology grad school?

A good GRE score for biology grad school would be above the 50th percentile, which is around a 150-152 in Verbal and 157-159 in Math. However, the average GRE scores for accepted students in biology grad programs vary depending on the school and program, so it is important to research the specific requirements of the schools you are interested in.

2)

Is a 162 Verbal, 167 Math GRE score good enough for top biology grad schools?

A 162 Verbal and 167 Math GRE score is considered very competitive and would likely be good enough for top biology grad schools. However, it is important to keep in mind that GRE scores are just one aspect of the application and other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement also play a significant role in the admissions process.

3)

Can a low GRE score prevent me from getting into a biology grad school program?

While a low GRE score can make your application less competitive, it does not necessarily mean that you will not be accepted into a biology grad school program. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors when evaluating applications, so a strong application in other areas can still make you a competitive candidate.

4)

Do biology grad schools have a minimum GRE score requirement?

Some biology grad schools may have a minimum GRE score requirement, but this is not always the case. It is important to research the specific requirements of the schools you are interested in applying to. Additionally, even if there is a minimum requirement, a higher GRE score can still make your application more competitive.

5)

Can I retake the GRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, it is important to keep in mind that some schools may average your scores if you take the GRE multiple times. Additionally, retaking the GRE can be time-consuming and costly, so it is important to carefully consider if it is necessary for your specific situation.