Is a*b equal to LCM(a,b)*HCF(a,b)? Help me understand the proof.

• Thread starter Anonymus1984
  • Start date
In summary, the proof is that lcm(a,b)*hcf(a,b)=a*b. This is because any prime factor that is common to a and b will be included in the product of the HCF and LCM.
Anonymus1984
Hello,

I have been searching in vain for a general proof of the following:

a*b = LCM(a,b)*HCF(a,b)

Please send me a link of please give me the proof. Or at least, please help me visualize how this comes about... I know it is true... but I'm just not able to visualize it...

I go up to seeing the product of the two numbers as the product of their respective prime factors and that contains the HCF of the Two numbers. But, I'm unable to visualize the rest of the prime factors together becoming the LCM of the two numbers... please help me...

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If
[tex]a = p_1^{e_1} \cdot p_2^{e_2} \cdots p_n^{e_n}[/tex],

[tex]b = p_1^{f_1} \cdot p_2^{f_2} \cdots p_n^{f_n}[/tex],

where [tex]p_i[/tex] are unique prime numbers and [tex]e_i \ge 0, f_i \ge 0[/tex], then

[tex]\text{hcf}(a,b) = p_1^{\min(e_1,f_1)} \cdots p_n^{\min(e_n, f_n)}[/tex],

[tex]\text{lcm}(a,b) = p_1^{\max(e_1,f_1)} \cdots p_n^{\max(e_n, f_n)}[/tex].

So what's [tex]\text{hcf}(a,b) \cdot \text{lcm}(a,b)[/tex]?

Hello in3,

Thanks for the reply. But, I still don't understand... I'm just a beginner.

Not all the Ps would be in the lcm(a,b) or the hcf(a,b) right? we take only the ones that are common.. right?

Also, I don't understand the representation of lcm and hcf... can you please send me a link where I can get a more detailed explanation of the representation?

Thank you.

[tex]p_1, \ldots, p_n[/tex] are all the prime factors from both a and b. Note that if [tex]p_k[/tex] is a prime factor in a but not in b, then [tex]f_k[/tex] will be 0.

As for a link, I guess you could look at MathWorld, though I'm not sure it includes the details you seek. But I would encourage you to think about what hcf and lcm means and how it's reflected in the above.

Anonymus1984 said:
Hello in3,

Thanks for the reply. But, I still don't understand... I'm just a beginner.

Not all the Ps would be in the lcm(a,b) or the hcf(a,b) right? we take only the ones that are common.. right?

Also, I don't understand the representation of lcm and hcf... can you please send me a link where I can get a more detailed explanation of the representation?

Thank you.

[tex] hcf(a,b) [/tex] is going to be all the common factors of a and b right?
so if we make a and b in the form that in3 made, we find that they share some [tex] p_n[/tex]'s, right? so whatever is smaller, thus [tex]min (e_n, f_n)[/tex], will become a common factor of a and b. if we multiply all of these we get [tex] hcf (a,b) [/tex]

and there will be enough p's in the lcm and hcf when multiplied because you're taking the minimum of p's in hcf and the maximum of p's in lcm.

here's a quick example: 12 & 120

[tex]12=2^2*3[/tex]
[tex]120=2^3*3*5[/tex]
[tex]hcf(12,120)=2^{min(2,3)}*3^{min(1,1)}*5^{min(0,1)}=2^2*3^1*5^0=12[/tex]
[tex]lcm(12,120)=2^{max(2,3)}*3^{max(1,1)}*5^{max(0,1)}=2^3*3^1*5^1=120[/tex]
[tex]12*120=2^2*3*2^3*3*5=2^{2+3}*3^{1+1}*5{0+1}=2^5*3^2*5=1440=12*120=lcm(12,120)*hcf(12,120)[/tex]

see that we added the exponents of each prime? that's multiplication of the two numbers a,b.
see that the minimum of the exponents and maximum of the exponents added together cover this up? that's hcf*lcm.

hope i helped :)

Last edited:
Here's a pretty informal explanation, but you should be able to visualize it from here.

So we're trying to prove that lcm(a,b)*hcf(a,b)=a*b. Consider any prime [tex]p[/tex]. It enters the factorization of [tex]a[/tex] as [tex]p^{e}[/tex] and of [tex]b[/tex] as [tex]p^{f}[/tex]. Without loss of generality let's say that [tex]a \leq b[/tex]. When we take the HCF of [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex], we need [tex]e[/tex] number of [tex]p's[/tex], since any more factors of [tex]p[/tex] will not divide [tex]b[/tex]. Similarly, when we take the LCM, we need [tex]f[/tex] number of [tex]p's[/tex], since [tex]f[/tex] factors of [tex]p[/tex] are required if [tex]b[/tex] is to divide the LCM. Thus, in the product of the HCF and LCM all factors of [tex]p[/tex] will come together as [tex]p^{e+f}[/tex]. But this factor [tex]p^{e+f}[/tex] is the same power of [tex]p[/tex] which enters into the prime factorization of [tex]ab[/tex]!. Since this argument applies to any prime [tex]p[/tex], the prime factorizations of lcm(a,b)*hcf(a,b) and [tex]ab[/tex] must be the same, so lcm(a,b)*hcf(a,b) and [tex]ab[/tex] must be equal. Q.E.D.

I understand now... thank you in3, Albert1993 and thrill3rnit3...

Once you understand something, it looks so simple and you wonder why you didn't get it all along... I guess that is the sign of understanding something...

Thank you very much.

Related to Is a*b equal to LCM(a,b)*HCF(a,b)? Help me understand the proof.

1. What is the meaning of "A*b = LCM(a,b)*HCF(a,b)"?

The equation "A*b = LCM(a,b)*HCF(a,b)" is known as the fundamental theorem of arithmetic. It states that the product of two numbers (A and b) is equal to the least common multiple (LCM) of the two numbers multiplied by their highest common factor (HCF). In other words, it is a way of expressing the relationship between the LCM and HCF of two numbers.

2. How is the LCM related to the HCF in this equation?

The LCM and HCF are both factors of the product of two numbers, and are therefore related. The LCM is the smallest number that is divisible by both numbers without a remainder, while the HCF is the largest number that is a factor of both numbers. In the equation "A*b = LCM(a,b)*HCF(a,b)", the LCM and HCF are multiplied together to give the product of the two numbers.

3. Why is this equation important in mathematics?

The fundamental theorem of arithmetic is important because it shows that every positive integer can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers. It is also the basis for many other mathematical concepts, such as the Euclidean algorithm for finding the LCM and HCF of two numbers, and the prime factorization of numbers.

4. Can this equation be applied to any two numbers?

Yes, this equation can be applied to any two positive integers. However, it is important to note that both the LCM and HCF must be positive integers in order for the equation to hold true. Additionally, if one or both of the numbers is a prime number, the LCM will be equal to that number and the HCF will be equal to 1.

5. How is the fundamental theorem of arithmetic related to number theory?

The fundamental theorem of arithmetic is a key concept in number theory, which is the branch of mathematics that studies the properties of numbers. It is one of the fundamental principles that is used to study and understand the properties of prime numbers, composite numbers, and other types of numbers. Additionally, the theorem has applications in cryptography, coding theory, and other fields of mathematics.