Is a Full Binary Tree's Internal Path Length Equal to Its External Path Length?

In summary, the internal path length of a full binary tree, which is the sum of the depths of all internal nodes, is equal to its external path length, which is the sum of the depths of all external nodes. This is due to the balanced nature of a full binary tree, where each internal node has exactly two child nodes and the distance from the root to any external node is the same. Therefore, the total number of nodes in a full binary tree is equal to its internal and external path lengths.
algonewbee
The internal path length of a full binary tree is the sum, taken over all internal nodes of the tree, of the depth of each node. Likewise, the external path length is the sum, taken over all leaves of the tree, of the depth of each leaf. Consider a full binary tree with n internal nodes, internal path length i, and external path length e. Prove that e=i+2n

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself what does it mean for the tree to be "full". How many leaves does it have?

Probably this should not be in the number theory forum.

Related to Is a Full Binary Tree's Internal Path Length Equal to Its External Path Length?

1. What is a binary tree?

A binary tree is a data structure in computer science that is composed of nodes connected by edges. Each node can have up to two child nodes, referred to as the left child and the right child. Binary trees are used for efficient storage and retrieval of data.

2. How is a binary tree different from other types of trees?

A binary tree differs from other types of trees, such as a general tree or a binary search tree, in that each node can have a maximum of two child nodes. This means that the structure of a binary tree is more restrictive and can affect its performance in certain operations.

3. What is the purpose of a binary tree?

A binary tree is used for efficient storage and retrieval of data. It is commonly used in computer science as a data structure for implementing algorithms, such as searching and sorting. Binary trees are also used in databases and file systems for organizing and managing data.

4. How do you insert data into a binary tree?

To insert data into a binary tree, you start at the root node and compare the new data with the data in the root node. If the new data is less than the root, it is inserted as the left child of the root. If the new data is greater than the root, it is inserted as the right child. This process is repeated recursively until the data is inserted into the appropriate position in the tree.

5. How is a binary tree represented in memory?

A binary tree can be represented in memory using a linked list or an array. In a linked list representation, each node has a reference to its left and right child nodes. In an array representation, the nodes are stored sequentially in an array, with the left child of a node at index 2i and the right child at index 2i+1, where i is the index of the parent node.