Is a K-map Sufficient for State Minimization in Digital Circuits?

• Thread starter jazzel70
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
In summary, The problem involves creating a state diagram and using a K-Map to minimize the number of states. The number of states is given in the problem, but it is also important to consider and handle any unused states. The ideal solution would have unused states transition back into other states, preferably the Reset state. However, in this case, the unused states may not be a concern. The first step would be to create a state diagram and then use a K-Map to help with minimizing the states. It is also important to consider the present states when creating the state diagram and transitioning between states based on the input value. Alternative methods for minimizing states may also be explored.
jazzel70
The problem is attached as a picture.

Should I just do a K-map for the output?

All I did was a K-map for the output but I don't think it works

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-15 at 22.39.26.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-15 at 22.39.26.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
jazzel70 said:
The problem is attached as a picture.

Should I just do a K-map for the output?

All I did was a K-map for the output but I don't think it works

I would draw the state diagram first to see if the outputs map directly to states (or if more logic is needed), then use a K-Map to help with minimization.

How many states are in the table? How many bits will it take to encode those states? Are there any unused states left over? If so, you will need to handle that...

do you consider the present states when doing the state diagram?

jazzel70 said:
do you consider the present states when doing the state diagram?

Yes, you transition between the present state and the next state according to the table, based on the input value.

this is what i have done so far

Attachments

• 2013-04-15 23.30.00.jpg
    2013-04-15 23.30.00.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 386
is there another way of minimising the number of states?

jazzel70 said:
is there another way of minimising the number of states?

The number of states is given in the problem statement. Well, you would also normally add the extra states into the diagram for the unused states (the problem calls for 6 states, which leaves 2 unused states). You cannot allow unused states in a real state machine, because that could cause the machine to stall forever if it ever gets into one of those states. You generally have the unused states have transitions back into the other states (preferably the Reset state).

But in this simpler problem, they don't seem concerned about the unused states. Do you have an initial implementation of the state diagram?

Related to Is a K-map Sufficient for State Minimization in Digital Circuits?

1. What is state minimisation?

State minimisation is a technique used in computer science to reduce the number of states in a finite state machine. This results in a more efficient and compact representation of the system, making it easier to analyze and implement.

2. Why is state minimisation important?

State minimisation is important because it reduces the complexity of a finite state machine, making it easier to understand and maintain. It also helps to save memory and processing resources, making the system more efficient.

3. How is state minimisation achieved?

State minimisation is achieved through various algorithms, such as the Hopcroft's algorithm and the Moore's algorithm. These algorithms use different techniques to identify and merge equivalent states in a finite state machine, resulting in a minimized representation.

4. What are the benefits of state minimisation?

The main benefit of state minimisation is the reduction of complexity in a finite state machine. This makes it easier to analyze and implement the system. It also helps to save memory and processing resources, resulting in a more efficient system.

5. Can state minimisation be used in any system?

Yes, state minimisation can be used in any system that can be represented as a finite state machine. This includes a wide range of applications such as software systems, control systems, and communication protocols.