Is a Latin Square always invertible?

In summary, the conversation discussed the invertibility of Latin Squares treated as matrices. While it was initially thought that all Latin Squares are invertible, a counterexample was given to disprove this theory. It was also mentioned that if negative numbers are allowed, the problem is easier to solve. Additionally, a general rule was shared for determining the invertibility of circulant matrices with distinct positive integers.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

An interesting question I thought about recently. Is it true that a Latin Square of integers (or real numbers) treated as a matrix is always invertible? If not can anybody give a counterexample. I think latin squares are invertible but I am unable to prove it. Hope you can help me out. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:
Hi everyone, :)

An interesting question I thought about recently. Is it true that a Latin Square of integers (or real numbers) treated as a matrix is always invertible? If not can anybody give a counterexample. I think latin squares are invertible but I am unable to prove it. Hope you can help me out. :)
The smallest counterexample I can come up with is the $6\times6$ circulant matrix $$\begin{bmatrix} 12&4&8&13&3&9 \\4&8&13&3&9&12 \\ 8&13&3&9&12&4 \\ 13&3&9&12&4&8 \\ 3&9&12&4&8&13 \\ 9&12&4&8&13&3 \end{bmatrix}\ .$$ This has determinant zero and is therefore not invertible.
If negative numbers are allowed, the problem is much easier, and the smallest counterexample would be $\begin{bmatrix}1&-1 \\ -1&1\end{bmatrix}.$ In fact, a Latin square matrix whose elements have sum zero is never invertible. Reason: if you add all the other rows of the matrix to the top row then each element of the top row becomes the sum of the elements. If that is zero then the determinant is zero.

More generally, if $x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_n$ are the elements in a circulant matrix, and $\omega$ is a primitive $n$th root of unity, then $x_1 + \omega x_2 + \omega^2x_3 + \ldots + \omega^{n-1}x_n$ is a factor of the determinant of the matrix. If that sum is zero then the matrix will not be invertible. The smallest example I could find where that happens with distinct positive integers for $x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_n$ was when $n=6$, using the numbers $12,4,8,13,3,9$ as in the above matrix.

Last edited:

What is an inverse of a Latin square?

An inverse of a Latin square is a rearrangement of the rows and columns of a given Latin square such that every row and column contains the same symbols in a different order.

Why is the inverse of a Latin square important?

The inverse of a Latin square is important because it can provide alternative solutions to problems that can be solved using a Latin square. It also helps identify patterns and relationships within the original Latin square.

How is the inverse of a Latin square calculated?

The inverse of a Latin square is calculated by first finding the transpose of the original square, and then rearranging the rows and columns in a way that satisfies the Latin square property.

What are some real-world applications of the inverse of a Latin square?

The inverse of a Latin square has various applications in fields such as coding theory, cryptography, and experimental design. It can also be used in Sudoku puzzles and to create balanced tournament schedules.

What are the limitations of the inverse of a Latin square?

The inverse of a Latin square is limited by the size of the original square. If the original square is too small, it may not be possible to find a valid inverse. Additionally, the inverse may not always provide a unique solution.