1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is a single point in R compact?

1. Jun 27, 2009 #1
    Is a single point in R compact?

It seems obvious since every open cover of a single point in R can clearly have a finite subcover.

However, I have a little uncertainty (i.e possible convention that says otherwise?) so just wanted to check before using it in a proof.
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2009 #2
    A subset of R is compact if it is closed and bounded (Heine Borel). A set consisting of a single point is certainly bounded and closed and therefore compact

4. Jun 27, 2009 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's it. No more work needed

I would probably fail anyone using this argument on principle

5. Jun 27, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Technical point: it makes no sense to talk about a point being compact. What you mean is that a set containing a single point (a "singleton" set) is compact. That's true in any topology, not just R or even just in a metric space. Given any open cover for {a}, there exist at least one set in the cover that contains a and that set alone is a "finite subcover".

6. Jun 27, 2009 #5
    And I would say you would be in error to do so.

What would you say to this:

Let [tex]p[/tex] be the point. We know that there is some compact space [tex]K[/tex]. The map defined by [tex]f(x) = p[/tex] for all [tex]x \in K[/tex] is continuous. The continuous image of a compact set is compact. Therefore [tex]\{p\}[/tex] is compact. QED

7. Jun 27, 2009 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was mostly being humorous. However, I know a lot of teachers that specifically don't want people to use Heine-Borel to prove the compactness of sets because it misses the point (which is to demonstrate your knowledge of what compactness means).

8. Jun 27, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh, surely you can find an even more complicated proof than that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook