1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If p is a covering map with B compact and fiber of b finite, E compact

1. Apr 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex] p: E \rightarrow B [/itex] be a covering map.

If B is compact and[itex]p^{-1}(b)[/itex] is finite for each b in B, then E compact.

Note: This is a problem from Munkres pg 341, question 6b in section 54.

3. The attempt at a solution

I begin with a cover of E denote it [itex]\{U_\alpha\}[/itex].

I want to reduce this to a finite subcover (thus showing that E is compact).

First I use the fact that p is a covering map and thus open to send this cover of E to a cover of B.

Denote the image of [itex]\{U_\alpha\}[/itex] under p by [itex]\{W_\alpha\}[/itex]

Then since B is compact I can reduce this to a finite subcover: [itex]\cup_{i=1}^n W_i[/itex].

Here is where I get stuck, I'm not sure how to send this finite subcover of B back over to E. I'm not even sure if I'm going about this the right way.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The natural thing to do is of course looking at ##p^{-1}(W_i)##. The problem is that

[tex]U_i\subseteq p^{-1}(W_i)[/tex]

and equality does not hold in general because ##p## is not injective. So maybe you can do something with the fact that ##p## is a local homeomorphism and that it has finite fibers.

One thing I would do is first to replace the ##U_i## by a cover of smaller sets ##V_j## such that ##p:V_j\rightarrow p(V_j)## is a homeomorphism between open sets. Then think about how you can write ##p^{-1}(p(V_j))##.

4. Apr 16, 2014 #3
    Why are we allowed to replace the [itex] U_\alpha [/itex] by a smaller cover? But then once we have that it's just as simple as saying we can reduce the [itex]V_j[/itex] to a finite subcover since after we map them to B we can take a finite subcover of them and map them back using [itex] p^-1[/itex] since each open set in the image is then homeomorphic to its pre-image?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  5. Apr 16, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

First try to obtain a finite cover of the ##V_j##. Then you can use that ##V_j\subseteq U_\alpha## for some ##\alpha## to obtain a finite cover of the ##U_\alpha##.

By the way, in topology we call the ##V_j## a refinement of the ##U_\alpha##. The fact that the ##V_j## has a finite subcover can then be stated as "Every open cover has a finite open refinement". This statement is equivalent to compactness.

Are you using that ##p^{-1}(p(V_j)) = V_j##? This is still not true. It is only true for injective maps. However, because you are dealing with a covering map, you can write ##p^{-1}(p(V_j))## in a better and more convenient form.

6. Apr 16, 2014 #5
    Sorry, I'm still confused about why we're even allowed to replace [itex]U_\alpha[/itex] by the [itex]V_j[/itex] at all.

We can write [itex]p^{-1}(p(V_j))[/itex] as a disjoint union of open sets in E, each of which maps homeomorphically to [itex]p(V_j)[/itex]. But this must be finite because of the finiteness of the fibers?

7. Apr 16, 2014 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, that is something you should think about.

Yes, even better: we can write ##p^{-1}(p(V_j))## as the finite union of some ##V_i##. So there exist a finite set ##I## such that

[tex]p^{-1}(p(V_j)) = \bigcup_{i\in I} V_i[/tex]

Using this, can you then find a open cover of the ##V_j## and hence of the ##U_\alpha##?

8. Apr 16, 2014 #7
    I'm honestly so lost.

9. Apr 16, 2014 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You've done most of the proof! Where are you lost?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted