If p is a covering map with B compact and fiber of b finite, E compact

In summary: Let me try to recap.You start with an open cover ##\mathcal U = \{U_\alpha\}## of ##E##.You want to show that there is a finite subcover of ##\mathcal U##. So you look at the open cover ##\mathcal V = \{p(U_\alpha)\}## of ##B##.You know that ##B## is compact, so there exists a finite subcover of ##\mathcal V##. Let's say this is the subcover ##\{p(U_i)\}_{i\in I}##, where ##I## is a finite set.Now you want to "lift" this subcover back to ##E##
EgoKilla

Homework Statement

Let [itex] p: E \rightarrow B [/itex] be a covering map.

If B is compact and[itex]p^{-1}(b)[/itex] is finite for each b in B, then E compact.

Note: This is a problem from Munkres pg 341, question 6b in section 54.

The Attempt at a Solution

I begin with a cover of E denote it [itex]\{U_\alpha\}[/itex].

I want to reduce this to a finite subcover (thus showing that E is compact).

First I use the fact that p is a covering map and thus open to send this cover of E to a cover of B.

Denote the image of [itex]\{U_\alpha\}[/itex] under p by [itex]\{W_\alpha\}[/itex]

Then since B is compact I can reduce this to a finite subcover: [itex]\cup_{i=1}^n W_i[/itex].

Here is where I get stuck, I'm not sure how to send this finite subcover of B back over to E. I'm not even sure if I'm going about this the right way.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The natural thing to do is of course looking at ##p^{-1}(W_i)##. The problem is that

[tex]U_i\subseteq p^{-1}(W_i)[/tex]

and equality does not hold in general because ##p## is not injective. So maybe you can do something with the fact that ##p## is a local homeomorphism and that it has finite fibers.

One thing I would do is first to replace the ##U_i## by a cover of smaller sets ##V_j## such that ##p:V_j\rightarrow p(V_j)## is a homeomorphism between open sets. Then think about how you can write ##p^{-1}(p(V_j))##.

Why are we allowed to replace the [itex] U_\alpha [/itex] by a smaller cover? But then once we have that it's just as simple as saying we can reduce the [itex]V_j[/itex] to a finite subcover since after we map them to B we can take a finite subcover of them and map them back using [itex] p^-1[/itex] since each open set in the image is then homeomorphic to its pre-image?

Last edited:
EgoKilla said:
Why are we allowed to replace the [itex] U_\alpha [/itex] by a smaller cover?

First try to obtain a finite cover of the ##V_j##. Then you can use that ##V_j\subseteq U_\alpha## for some ##\alpha## to obtain a finite cover of the ##U_\alpha##.

By the way, in topology we call the ##V_j## a refinement of the ##U_\alpha##. The fact that the ##V_j## has a finite subcover can then be stated as "Every open cover has a finite open refinement". This statement is equivalent to compactness.

But then once we have that it's just as simple as saying we can reduce the [itex]V_j[/itex] to a finite subcover since after we map them to B we can take a finite subcover of them and map them back using [itex] p^-1[/itex] since each open set in the image is then homeomorphic to its pre-image?

Are you using that ##p^{-1}(p(V_j)) = V_j##? This is still not true. It is only true for injective maps. However, because you are dealing with a covering map, you can write ##p^{-1}(p(V_j))## in a better and more convenient form.

Sorry, I'm still confused about why we're even allowed to replace [itex]U_\alpha[/itex] by the [itex]V_j[/itex] at all.

We can write [itex]p^{-1}(p(V_j))[/itex] as a disjoint union of open sets in E, each of which maps homeomorphically to [itex]p(V_j)[/itex]. But this must be finite because of the finiteness of the fibers?

EgoKilla said:
Sorry, I'm still confused about why we're even allowed to replace [itex]U_\alpha[/itex] by the [itex]V_j[/itex] at all.

Yes, that is something you should think about.

We can write [itex]p^{-1}(p(V_j))[/itex] as a disjoint union of open sets in E, each of which maps homeomorphically to [itex]p(V_j)[/itex]. But this must be finite because of the finiteness of the fibers?

Yes, even better: we can write ##p^{-1}(p(V_j))## as the finite union of some ##V_i##. So there exist a finite set ##I## such that

[tex]p^{-1}(p(V_j)) = \bigcup_{i\in I} V_i[/tex]

Using this, can you then find a open cover of the ##V_j## and hence of the ##U_\alpha##?

I'm honestly so lost.

EgoKilla said:
I'm honestly so lost.

You've done most of the proof! Where are you lost?

FAQ: If p is a covering map with B compact and fiber of b finite, E compact

1. What is a covering map?

A covering map is a continuous function between two topological spaces that satisfies certain properties. Intuitively, it is a map that "covers" one space with another space, such that each point in the first space has a neighborhood that is mapped homeomorphically onto a corresponding neighborhood in the second space.

2. What does it mean for B to be compact in this context?

In topology, a compact space is a topological space that is "small" in some sense. More specifically, it is a space in which every open cover has a finite subcover. In the context of this statement, it means that the base space B is a compact topological space.

3. What does it mean for the fiber of b to be finite?

In this context, the fiber of b refers to the preimage of a point b in the base space B. If the fiber of b is finite, it means that there are a finite number of points in the preimage of b. In other words, for each point b in B, there are only a finite number of points in the total space E that map to it.

4. What is the significance of E being compact?

If E is compact, it means that the total space is "small" in some sense. In particular, it means that every open cover of E has a finite subcover. This is an important property in many mathematical contexts, and in this statement, it helps to ensure that the covering map p is well-behaved.

5. What implications does this statement have in the field of topology?

This statement is significant in the field of topology because it gives conditions under which a covering map is well-behaved. It ensures that the base space and total space have certain topological properties that are necessary for a covering map to be well-defined. Additionally, the fact that the fiber of b is finite means that the covering map is locally finite, which has important implications in algebraic topology.

Back