Is a tube always orientable?

• Thread starter lavinia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary, the conversation discusses the orientability of a tube around a manifold embedded in Euclidean space. The topology of the boundary is shown to determine the topology of the tube, and it is clarified that the tube is always orientable due to the existence of a top-dimensional form that does not vanish. It is also mentioned that Whitney sum of two non-orientable bundles can be orientable. The question of whether a tubular neighborhood can be given an orientation induced by the ambient Euclidean space is raised but it is clarified that it must have a well-behaved property near the boundary. Finally, the definition of orientability for a manifold with boundary is mentioned.
lavinia
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- A tube around a manifold embedded in Euclidean space is a manifold with boundary. Is the tube always orientable?

- Does the topology of the boundary determine the topology of the tube?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by tube? Boundary of what? For this type of question, I think we need more precision.

homeo: a tube T is a tubular nbhd of the manifold M, so you can think of it as a (closed) nbhd of the zero sectioin of the normal bundle N that intersects each fiber in a closed disk.

lavinia, how about this: Pick a fiber metric on TN. Use this to define a splitting of TN into a vertical bundle V (isomorphic to N) and a horizontal bundle H (isomorphic to TM). This induces a similar splitting of T(T). Now, an orientation of T as a manifold would induce an orientation of N (as a vector bundle), but we know that the normal bundle is not always orientable, so the tube cannot always be orientable. In fact, it is so iff M and its normal bundle are thus.

Last edited:
homeomorphic said:
What do you mean by tube? Boundary of what? For this type of question, I think we need more precision.

ok.

The Tubular Neighborhood Theorem shows that around any compact manifold without boundary embedded in another smooth manifold, there is an open neighborhood of it that is diffeomorphic to the total space of the normal bundle to the embedding. The tube is obtained first locally from the exponential mapping in the normal direction to the embedded manifold and then pieced together as the union of these local tubes. Since the embedded manifold is compact the union of finite many of these neighborhoods gives is the tube. The boundary of this tube is diffeomorphic to the unit sphere bundle in the normal bundle.

My question is whether a tube in Euclidean space is always orientable. I would think so since the boundary is a hypersurface. For example a tube around the Klein bottle in R^4 is orientable and its boundary is the the total space of a circle bundle over the Klein bottle.

The geometry of tubes was studies by Weyl and there is a cool book that derives characteristic classes from tube geometry rather than intrinsic geometry.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm a bit confused by the question. How could it not be orientable? Take your definition of orientability to be the existence of a top-dimensional form which doesn't vanish.

zhentil said:
Maybe I'm a bit confused by the question. How could it not be orientable? Take your definition of orientability to be the existence of a top-dimensional form which doesn't vanish.

I am confused.

You mean just the restriction of the Euclidean volume form to the tube?

My thought was that the boundary as a hypersurface must be orientable but how do I extend this to an orientation of the whole tube? But what you are saying is the the volume form on Euclidean space just does this. OK.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my argument then? Thx.

quasar987 said:
Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my argument then? Thx.

I think that the Whitney sum of two non-orientable bundles can be orientable. They just need to be non-orientable for the same reason - their first Stiefel-Whitney classes must be equal.

In Eudlidean space the normal and tangent bundles sum to the trivial bundle which is orientable.

I don't understand- surely this tubular neighbourhood can just be given the orientation induced by the ambient Euclidean space. Or does this orientation have to have some well-behaved property near the boundary?

Oh- are you talking about the boundary of the tubular neighbourhood being orientable? (actually, just looked up orientation for a manifold with boundary, we say a manifold with boundary is orientable if the manifold obtained by glueing together two lots of the manifold with boundary across their boundaries is orientable, wasn't aware of this definition).

Last edited:

1. Is a tube always orientable?

Yes, a tube is always orientable because it has two distinct sides that can be consistently labeled as "inside" and "outside". This is known as the "orientability" property of a tube.

2. What does "orientable" mean?

In mathematics and science, "orientable" refers to the property of an object that can be consistently assigned a direction or orientation. In the case of a tube, this means that it has two distinct sides that can be consistently labeled as "inside" and "outside".

3. Can a tube be non-orientable?

No, a tube cannot be non-orientable. This is because the very definition of a tube requires it to have two distinct sides that can be consistently labeled as "inside" and "outside", making it always orientable.

4. What are some examples of orientable tubes?

Some common examples of orientable tubes include a drinking straw, a paper towel roll, and a PVC pipe. These are all objects that have a hollow, cylindrical shape with two distinct sides that can be consistently labeled as "inside" and "outside".

5. Why is the orientability of a tube important?

The orientability of a tube is important in various fields of mathematics and science, such as topology and physics. It allows for the consistent labeling of the inside and outside of the tube, which is essential for understanding and analyzing the properties and behavior of the object. Additionally, many real-world applications, such as the design of pipes and tubes for fluid flow, rely on the orientability of a tube.