Worldline Curve vs Trajectory: What’s the Difference?

In summary, a worldline is the path of a point particle in space over time, and a curve is any smooth map between the real numbers to a differentiable manifold.
SaintRodriguez
Is a worldline a curve or a trajectory? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
SaintRodriguez said:
What is the difference?

I would say “curve”, but if someone else said “trajectory” I wouldn’t correct them. I don’t know the difference in this context

Likes topsquark and Ibix
I would have said both. What's the distinction you're trying to make?

Likes topsquark, Vanadium 50 and Dale
Dale said:
What is the difference?

I would say “curve”, but if someone else said “trajectory” I wouldn’t correct them. I don’t know the difference in this context
A curve is the math object like a function and the trajectory is the set of images that the function (curve) mapped.

SaintRodriguez said:
the set of images
What is this “set of images”? Are you just talking about the mathematical representation vs the physical thing that the math represents?

Likes topsquark
@SaintRodriguez you might want to give some actual references that give the definitions of "curve" and "trajectory" that you are using.

Likes robphy, topsquark and Dale
SaintRodriguez said:

SaintRodriguez said:
A curve is the math object like a function and the trajectory is the set of images that the function (curve) mapped.

I think that this can vary, i.e., depends on the reference being used. A reference that takes great care with the mathematics, "Semi-Riemannian Geometry With Applications to Relativity" by Barrett O'Neill, defines a particle to be a (particular type of) mapping (function), and the image of mapping to be the worldline of the particle. Other references might define the mapping itself to be the worldline, and references that take less care mathematically might blur the distinction between a mapping and the image of the mapping.

From O'Neill's book: "Definition. A material particle in ##M## is a timelike future pointing curve ##\alpha : I \rightarrow M ## such that ##\left| \alpha'\left(\tau\right) \right| = 1## for all ##\tau## in ##I##. The parameter ##\tau## is called the proper time of the particle. ... its image ##\alpha\left(I\right)## is a one-dimensional submanifold of ##M## called the worldline of ##\alpha##."

Here, ##M## is the spacetime manifold, and ##I## is an interval of the real line.

Likes martinbn, dextercioby, Ibix and 3 others
SaintRodriguez said:
That's a good question, because the terminology is a bit unclear in the physics literature. For me a curve is any smooth map between the real numbers (or an interval, if you have a finite curve) to a differentiable manifold, and spacetime is described in GR as such a differentiable manifold (with the extra properties making it a pseudo-Riemannian manifold, i.e., with a pseudometric and the uniquely defined torsion-free affine connection, compatible with this pseudometric). Another name for such a curve in relativity is "worldline".

The word "trajectory" I reserve for the solution of the equations of motion for a point particle (or the pseudo-photon interpretation of the eikonal approximation of electrodynamics in GR), which are timelike (lightlike) worldlines. If there are no forces, i.e., only gravity/aka spacetime curvature, then these are spacelike or timelike worldlines.

Likes malawi_glenn
vanhees71 said:
If there are no forces, i.e., only gravity/aka spacetime curvature, then these are spacelike or timelike worldlines.
Why would worldline refer only to force free trajectories?

Likes vanhees71
Maybe that was formulated somewhat misleading. Of course also worldlines describing motion under the influence of interactions, e.g., the electromagnetic interaction, I would call trajectories.

Likes Dale and malawi_glenn
To me the word trajectory has the meaning of the path of a particle in space over some time. And is very non-relativistic. I would say stay with curves not to be misunderstood.

1. What is a worldline curve and how is it different from a trajectory?

A worldline curve is a path that represents the movement of an object through space and time. It is different from a trajectory in that it includes both spatial and temporal components, while a trajectory only shows the spatial movement of an object.

2. How are worldline curves and trajectories used in physics?

In physics, worldline curves and trajectories are used to study the motion of objects and the effects of forces on those objects. They are also used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object at any given time.

3. Can a worldline curve and a trajectory be the same?

No, a worldline curve and a trajectory cannot be the same. A worldline curve includes both spatial and temporal components, while a trajectory only shows the spatial movement of an object. Therefore, a worldline curve provides a more complete representation of an object's motion.

4. How do worldline curves and trajectories differ in special relativity?

In special relativity, worldline curves and trajectories differ in that worldline curves take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, while trajectories do not. This is because worldline curves incorporate both space and time, while trajectories only show the spatial movement of an object.

5. Are worldline curves and trajectories affected by gravity?

Yes, both worldline curves and trajectories are affected by gravity. In general relativity, gravity is seen as the curvature of spacetime, which affects the path of objects through space and time. Therefore, both worldline curves and trajectories will be affected by the presence of gravity.