Is Alder the Best Wood for Smoking Salmon?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evo
In summary, Evo's birthday started off with some good smoking music. Unfortunately, the smoker that was supposed to be delivered to her did not make it in time, so her birthday will be extended.

This is my unbirthday, too.

Physics news on Phys.org

dlgoff said:
Were there two delivery people?
No just one poor guy, he was struggling. It's hard to get a decent grip on a box like that.

turbo said:
This is my unbirthday, too.
Happy unbirthday!

Andre said:
Oh :frown: but that would reduce your unbirthday parties considerably.

Haha! I take it back then. Especially that I don't celebrate mine, which makes it 365 days to celebrate! WOOT! :biggrin:

Evo said:
No just one poor guy, he was struggling. It's hard to get a decent grip on a box like that.
Delivery guys around here have to claim to handle 70# boxes, and when they have to do it alone, that sucks! Plus that pretty much precludes women from many delivery jobs. I have a good back and hand-strength, but hugging a corrugated box with no hand-holds is tough. I'll help the delivery guys get parcels into my attached garage and break the packages down in there, so I can move the products in manageable pieces.

turbo said:
Team-Lift sticker is a good sign. Nice and solid!

dlgoff said:
Were there two delivery people?
How much does that smoker weigh? Amazon indicates about 50 lbs. That's a large box too (~20''x20''x35''). It really should have two guys handling that while in the box.

May sure you've got someone strong enough to move it to the patio. Maybe EC's bf can do it.

Last edited:

Astronuc said:
How much does that smoker weigh?

50.8 pounds.

This is my best tool friend

http://www.hobbycenterdhaese.be/cubecart/images/uploads/1735_1_200x300.jpg

It moved around hunderds of smoker equivalent weights. When it crumbled finally, after many years of faithful service, it was replaced within a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andre said:
This is my best tool friend

http://www.hobbycenterdhaese.be/cubecart/images/uploads/1735_1_200x300.jpg

It moved around hunderds of smoker equivalent weights. When it crumbled finally, after many years of faithful service, it was replaced within a few days.

I have one of those at work!

Smoker up and running! I have to heat it for 3 hours to get it seasoned.

Here it is right before I turned it on. I am so impressed, everything is well made and sturdy.

Attachments

• smoker ready to go.jpg
    smoker ready to go.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 454

Evo said:

Here it is right before I turned it on. I am so impressed, everything is well made and sturdy.
Yays!

Evo said:

Yay. I'm glad it's well made and sturdy. You can write reviews for it.

Evo said:

Whoop! Whoop! Now we need to fedex you some meats. Tasty spring Chinookers are my fave. When I catch my first one, I'll send you some. :redface:

OmCheeto said:
Whoop! Whoop! Now we need to fedex you some meats. Tasty spring Chinookers are my fave. When I catch my first one, I'll send you some. :redface:
OOOOH! Nice!

Ok, I am in the final leg of curing my smoker. I added the wood chips. This design is brilliant. You add the chips through an insert chamber in the side, so no opening the smoker, and it uses natural wood chips, no artificial prefabricated pellets. Literally within seconds after adding the wood I started to smell smoke. It is smoking like crazy right now. I've been standing over the smoker and I smell delicious.

Ok, you're all invited to a smoke fest! For our veggie lovers, it does vegetables too, with or without smoke.

Last edited:

Evo said:
OOOOH! Nice!

Ok, I am in the final leg of curing my smoker. I added the wood chips. This design is brilliant. You add the chips through an insert chamver in the side, so no opeing the smoker, and it uses natural wood chips, no artificial prefabricated pellets. Literally within seconds after adding the wood I started to smell smoke. It is smoking like crazy right now. I've been standing over the smoker and I smell delicious.

Ok, you're all invited to a smoke fest! For our veggie lovers, it does vegetables too, with or without smoke.

Bag the smoke and save it for later!

Evo said:
OOOOH! Nice! I've been standing over the smoker and I smell delicious.
Well, yeah! I probably smell delicious after hovering over the locomotive and tending the meats, but I might not have put it quite that way. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Ok, I am in the final leg of curing my smoker. I added the wood chips. This design is brilliant. You add the chips through an insert chamber in the side, so no opening the smoker, and it uses natural wood chips, no artificial prefabricated pellets. Literally within seconds after adding the wood I started to smell smoke. It is smoking like crazy right now. I've been standing over the smoker and I smell delicious.

I am glad to read things like that, keep them coming [PLAIN]http://www.bpp.com.pl/IMG/smile_Borek.png.

Borek said:
I am glad to read things like that, keep them coming [PLAIN]http://www.bpp.com.pl/IMG/smile_Borek.png.[/QUOTE]

Me too.

Attachments

• smile-beard.gif
    smile-beard.gif
    1 KB · Views: 570

:smile:

LOL Astro

The Evo Child meat delivery service failed again. :frown:

I did get my camera back, without the expensive rechargeable batteries I reminded her not to throw away...again. <sigh>

On a positive note, look at the ashes of the burned wood. For the pre-seasoning, they only called for adding the wood at the last 45 minutes, if it had buned longer it would all be white ash. This smoker ROCKS! I dumped the ashes out and the tray looked clean, but I wiped it with a paper towel anyway.

Attachments

• smoker ash.jpg
    smoker ash.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 441

You finally got your smoker. Yay!

Happy Birthday, Evo.

Here is my first batch. These are country style pork ribs. I would have turned them, but I feel asleep, The smoker automatically shuts off at the time you set, so food doen't overcook. That's all smoke, no sauce or rubs were use, just salt and pepper.

Attachments

• raw pork smoker.jpg
    raw pork smoker.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 440
  • smoked pork ribs.jpg
    smoked pork ribs.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 501

I am already drooling :smile:

Yippie! I got some smoked springer for my birthday yesterday.

Smokin' birthdays are the best. :smile:

Evo said:
Here is my first batch. These are country style pork ribs. I would have turned them, but I feel asleep, The smoker automatically shuts off at the time you set, so food doen't overcook. That's all smoke, no sauce or rubs were use, just salt and pepper.
I like to put a drip pan filled with water to get a little steam with the smoke. Seems to drive the smoke in better and tenderizes at the same time. Not sure what temp the bottom of your smoker gets (for steam production), so it may not work or be recommended.

Anyway, I'm planning on cutting and chipping some peach and apple wood this week for you as promised.

BTW When's dinner? :approve:

Evo said:
I see Evo's Smokehouse BBQ just around the corner. :-p

I'm brining a chicken to smoke. When I master chicken, I'm moving on to the ultimate Evo Favorite...smoked turkey. I may get one of those injectors, I saw a recipe for garlic butter injected smoked turkey.

Good luck with the chicken, Evo.

I love my smoked turkey and roasted brined turkey. However, brined turkey never worked out when smoked. The subtle rich flavor that you get in roasted brined turkey doesn't survive the smoking process and the bird comes out drier than normal IMO. Now I leave poultry strictly alone and adjust my smoking/indirect heating cooking to get the bird right.

BTW, please share smoker insights either here or on the food thread. I'm a wood/charcoal guy, but my brother-in-law wanted me to try out his (old!) electric smoker while my Brinkman was out on loan. I ruined that chicken. If your modern electric smoker does really well, I should consider getting one. I can smoke meats out in the attached garage in the middle of a mid-winter sleet-storm.

All this smoking talk makes me crave smoked eel, and googling I found this on youtube:

That's more or less how I remember smoking fish with my Dad, although we just put a barrel on rocks, and it had no drawer, fire was started directly on the ground. Earlier for a few seasons we had access to the real smoker on the attic of an old house - it was just how houses in the area were built, smoker was a must. Happy times.

But the eels they smoke on the video are pretty small, back in seventies most eels we caught were 2-3 feet long, and they were abundant. To attract small ones it was often enough to put some stinking piece of meat - or carcass - in the shallow water close to the lake shore and wait till dark. Not that they were easy to catch with bare hands.

Sadly, since then European eel became critically endangered.

Evo said:
... I saw a recipe for garlic butter injected smoked turkey.

:!)

Do you plan on roasting the garlic?

Dembadon said:
:!)

Do you plan on roasting the garlic?
Oooh, I do now.

turbo said:
Good luck with the chicken, Evo.

I love my smoked turkey and roasted brined turkey. However, brined turkey never worked out when smoked. The subtle rich flavor that you get in roasted brined turkey doesn't survive the smoking process and the bird comes out drier than normal IMO. Now I leave poultry strictly alone and adjust my smoking/indirect heating cooking to get the bird right.
No brining? I got the recipe off a smoker site, but i trust your judgement.

BTW, please share smoker insights either here or on the food thread. I'm a wood/charcoal guy, but my brother-in-law wanted me to try out his (old!) electric smoker while my Brinkman was out on loan. I ruined that chicken. If your modern electric smoker does really well, I should consider getting one. I can smoke meats out in the attached garage in the middle of a mid-winter sleet-storm.
So fas I am ecstatic with this unit. This new model has all of the bugs worked out and is getting 5 star reviews, I agree. You might want the added features of the 40" model.

dlgoff said:
I'm planning on cutting and chipping some peach and apple wood this week for you...

Done. Two quart zip-lock baggies each. Will mail Monday.