Is arcsec = 1 divided by arccos ? Arcsec = 1/arccos

• I
  • Thread starter Vividly
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the mathematical concepts of reciprocal and inverse functions, specifically focusing on the relationship between arcsec and arccos functions. The participants discuss various equations and try to find a solution for a problem involving differentiating y=1/arccos using a right triangle. However, it is concluded that the derivative of this function cannot be expressed as a polynomial in x.
Vividly
TL;DR Summary
Im confused about what 1/arccos is equal too.
Im not sure what 1/arccos is. I looked online and all I have found is y=arccos(1/x) and I am not sure if that's the same thing. I tried to make a triangle to decipher the answer. However when I looked at the answer when I finished it was incorrect. I got 1/xsqrt(x^2-1) and the answer is 1/(arccos)^2 sqrt(1-x^2)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 123
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You could try putting some angles into a calculator or spreadsheet and checking whether ##arcsec \ x = \frac 1 {\arccos x}##.

Alternatively, if we let ##y = \arccos x## and ##z = arcsec \ x##, then ##\sec z = x## ... Can you finish it from there?

You seem to confuse reciprocal and inverse function. Say
[tex]y=\frac{1}{\arccos x}[/tex],
[tex]x=\cos(\frac{1}{y})[/tex]
Say
[tex]y=arccos(\frac{1}{x})[/tex]
[tex]x=\frac{1}{\cos y}[/tex]

Likes FactChecker
PeroK said:
You could try putting some angles into a calculator or spreadsheet and checking whether ##arcsec \ x = \frac 1 {\arccos x}##.

Alternatively, if we let ##y = \arccos x## and ##z = arcsec \ x##, then ##\sec z = x## ... Can you finish it from there?
I am confused about why you have all those number signs. Is it for a formula in excel? If your say that z=arcsec divided by x is equal to some number or 1/secz=x then x = cosz

anuttarasammyak said:
You seem to confuse reciprocal and inverse function. Say
[tex]y=\frac{1}{\arccos x}[/tex],
[tex]x=\cos(\frac{1}{y})[/tex]
Are you saying reciporal and inverse functions do not equate to one another? So 1/arccos(x)≠ arcsec(x) ?

Vividly said:
I am confused about why you have all those number signs. Is it for a formula in excel? If your say that z=arcsec divided by x is equal to some number or 1/secz=x then x = cosz
What's a "number sign"? You mean variables ##y, z##?

You do understand that IF ##arcsec \ x = \frac 1 {\arccos x}##, then this is true for any angle ##x##?

That means that:

##arcsec \ 0.1 = \frac 1 {\arccos 0.1}##

##arcsec \ 0.5 = \frac 1 {\arccos 0.5}##

##arcsec \ 1.0 = \frac 1 {\arccos 1.0}##

Etc. Did you try those on a calculater to see whether they really are equal?

Vividly said:
If you’re saying that z=arcsec divided by x is equal to some number or 1/secz=x then x = cosz

Vividly said:
So 1/arccos(x)≠ arcsec(x) ?
I am not used to arcsec function in RHS. I assume it means
[tex]x=\sec y = \frac{1}{\cos y}[/tex] right ?

LHS function means
[tex]x=cos(\frac{1}{y})[/tex]

They are different functions.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
What's a "number sign"? You mean variables ##y, z##?

You do understand that IF ##arcsec \ x = \frac 1 {\arccos x}##, then this is true for any angle ##x##?

That means that:

##arcsec \ 0.1 = \frac 1 {\arccos 0.1}##

##arcsec \ 0.5 = \frac 1 {\arccos 0.5}##

##arcsec \ 1.0 = \frac 1 {\arccos 1.0}##

Etc. Did you try those on a calculater to see whether they really are equal?
Arcsec(0.1) =error
I/arccos(0.1)=.6799811946

with that being said they’re not the same. So inverse trig functions have no relation, well at least in this regard. So how can I solve the problem? I don’t understand how to make it possible. I can try the quotient rule but not sure if that will work.

Vividly said:
Arcsec(0.1) =error
So, they don't even have the same domain. Not much chance of being the same function then.

What about? $$arcsec(\frac 1 x) = \frac{1} {\arccos x}$$Does that look better?

Likes Vividly
Vividly said:
Arcsec(0.1) =error
PeroK said:
What about? $$arcsec(\frac 1 x) = \frac{1} {\arccos x}$$Does that look better?
They both show up as errors. So what would make them show up as actual numbers?

Vividly said:
They both show up as errors. So what would make them show up as actual numbers?
They shouldn't have. Let's try to prove this anyway:

Let ##z = arcsec(\frac 1 x)##, then ##\sec z = \frac 1 x##, and ##\cos z = \frac 1 {\sec z} = x## and ##z = \arccos x##.

So, it seems that we what really want is: $$\arccos x = arcsec(\frac 1 x)$$

Likes anuttarasammyak
PeroK said:

Let ##z = arcsec(\frac 1 x)##, then ##\sec z = \frac 1 x##, and ##\cos z = \frac 1 {\sec z} = x## and ##z = \arccos x##.

I guess what I am asking is how to find the derivative of y=1/arccos with a triangle. I am not sure how to put x=cos(1/y) on a right triangle to find the Hypotenuse, Opposite and Adjacent like I did for this problem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 121
Vividly said:
I guess what I am asking is how to find the derivative of y=1/arccos with a triangle. I am not sure how to put x=cos(1/y) on a right triangle to find the Hypotenuse, Opposite and Adjacent like I did for this problem.
An interesting idea. If you differentiate ##y = \frac 1 {\arccos x}##, you must get an ##\arccos^2 x## term in the denominator. It's not going to come out as a polynomial in ##x##.

PeroK said:
An interesting idea. If you differentiate ##y = \frac 1 {\arccos x}##, you must get an ##\arccos^2 x## term in the denominator. It's not going to come out as a polynomial in ##x##.
Yes, that's what I don’t understand how that came to be. The answer I get is 1/xsqrt(x^2-1). Did you do the quotient rule or did you do the power rule and bring arccos to the top then take the derivative?

Vividly said:
The answer I get is 1/xsqrt(x^2-1).
That can't be right. That's the derivative of ##\arctan(\sqrt{x^2 - 1})##.

Vividly said:
I am confused about why you have all those number signs.
This sounds like you are seeing the LaTeX code rather than the resulting equations that are rendered. Refreshing the screen may help. Those do not always render properly -- though they showed up well for me.

Also, if you are responding to a post, the LaTeX code is helpfully presented in code form, rather than rendered form. This allows you to see how @PeroK composed the equations so that you can retrieve that quoted code and modify it to use in your response. See the LaTeX Guide below the editing window.

Likes Vividly
PeroK said:
That can't be right. That's the derivative of ##\arctan(\sqrt{x^2 - 1})##.
Yes, I made a mistake because supposedly 1/arccosx ≠arcsec. I will try to write out my thoughts again and show you

Attachments

• AA121692-0F46-4582-A463-46CD97CCB821.jpeg
    AA121692-0F46-4582-A463-46CD97CCB821.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 109
Vividly said:
Yes, I made a mistake because supposedly 1/arccosx ≠arcsec.
There's no supposedly about it. They are definitely not the same thing.

PeroK said:
There's no supposedly about it. They are definitely not the same thing.
Well with that being said, I am trying to figure out how to make it into a triangle so I can know how to solve it from scratch without memorizing. Did you do the quotient rule or reciprocal rule to solve it? I am want to figure out how to get the polynomial under the square root.

Vividly said:
Well with that being said, I am trying to figure out how to make it into a triangle so I can know how to solve it from scratch without memorizing.
There's nothing to memorise to get inverse trig derivatives. You just use the chain rule: $$f^{-1}(f(x)) = x \ \Rightarrow \ (f^{-1})'(f(x))f'(x) = 1 \ \Rightarrow \ (f^{-1})'(f(x)) = \frac 1 {f'(x)}$$ For example:$$f(x) = \tan x \ \Rightarrow \ f'(x) = \sec^2 x = \tan^2 x + 1 \ \Rightarrow \ (\tan^{-1})'(\tan x) = \frac 1 {\tan^2 x + 1}$$$$\Rightarrow \ (\tan^{-1})'(x) = \frac 1 {x^2 + 1}$$

PeroK said:
There's nothing to memorise to get inverse trig derivatives. You just use the chain rule: $$f^{-1}(f(x)) = x \ \Rightarrow \ (f^{-1})'(f(x))f'(x) = 1 \ \Rightarrow \ (f^{-1})'(f(x)) = \frac 1 {f'(x)}$$ For example:$$f(x) = \tan x \ \Rightarrow \ f'(x) = \sec^2 x = \tan^2 x + 1 \ \Rightarrow \ (\tan^{-1})'(\tan x) = \frac 1 {\tan^2 x + 1}$$$$\Rightarrow \ (\tan^{-1})'(x) = \frac 1 {x^2 + 1}$$
I figured it out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 139
You have the wrong sign there. The derivative should be positive.

PeroK said:
You have the wrong sign there. The derivative should be positive.
Yes the negative on top and the one at the bottom cancel. I just didn’t show it canceling. Thank you for the help.

PeroK said:

What do you get when you put it in a calculator? I tried to resolve the problem but with arcsec(1/x) and got a different answer than the derivative of 1/arccosx

Say
[tex]y=\frac{1}{\arccos x}[/tex]
, calculation of its derivative is :
[tex]x=\cos\frac{1}{y}[/tex]
[tex]dx=-\sin(\frac{1}{y})\ \ (-\frac{dy}{y^2})[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{y^2}{\sin\frac{1}{y}}=\frac{(\arccos x)^{-2}}{\sin(\arccos x)}=\frac{(\arccos x)^{-2}}{\pm\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]
arccos function is a multi-value function so we should be careful.
スライド1.JPG

Last edited:
Vividly said:
What do you get when you put it in a calculator? I tried to resolve the problem but with arcsec(1/x) and got a different answer than the derivative of 1/arccosx
What calculation did you do?

anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{y^2}{\sin\frac{1}{y}}=\frac{(\arccos x)^{-2}}{\sin(\arccos x)}=\frac{(\arccos x)^{-2}}{\pm\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]
arccos function is a multi-value function so we should be careful.
For all ##x \in [-1, 1]## we have:$$\cos (\arccos x) = x$$$$\sin(\arccos x) = \sqrt{1-x^2}$$And, for ##x \in [0, \pi]##$$\arccos(\cos x) = x$$But, for ##x \in (\pi, 2\pi]##$$\arccos(\cos x) = 2\pi - x$$

PeroK said:
What calculation did you do?
Its completely different. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Unless arccos(x) ≠arcsec(1/x) like I stated at the top right of the board.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 110
Vividly said:
Its completely different. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Unless arccos(x) ≠arcsec(1/x) like I stated at the top right of the board.
If you insist on your own idiosynchratic approach to trig identities, then I think the onus is on you to sort out the problems. I would encourage you to study this derivation. Let ##x = \cos y##, with ##y \in [0, \pi]## :
$$\arccos(x) = \arccos(\cos y) = y$$ $$arcsec(\frac 1 x) = arcsec(\sec y) = y$$ QED

Likes Vividly
Vividly said:
I think I know what I did wrong. I redid the problem and got the right answer. I just don’t understand how when you put values in the calculator for arccosx and arcsec(1/x) you get and error for one and a number for the other.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 108
Vividly said:
I think I know what I did wrong. I redid the problem and got the right answer. I just don’t understand how when you put values in the calculator for arccosx and arcsec(1/x) you get and error for one and a number for the other.
The calculator on my phone doesn't have an option for ##arcsec##; nor does excel (it seems); nor does ##arcsec## exist in Latex. None of that matters in light of post #31.

PeroK said:
The calculator on my phone doesn't have an option for ##arcsec##; nor does excel (it seems); nor does ##arcsec## exist in Latex. None of that matters in light of post #31.
This youtube video teaches you how to put it in the calculator.

I like that equation:$$\sec^{-1}(-2) = \cos^{-1}(-\frac 1 2) = \frac {2\pi}{3}$$

Likes Vividly

1. What is the definition of arcsec?

Arcsec, or arcsecond, is a unit of angular measurement equal to 1/3600 of a degree. It is commonly used in astronomy to measure the size of celestial objects or the distance between them.

2. What is arccos?

Arccos, or inverse cosine, is a mathematical function that calculates the angle whose cosine is a given number. It is the inverse of the cosine function and is used to solve trigonometric equations.

3. How is arcsec related to arccos?

Arcsec and arccos are related through the formula arcsec = 1/arccos. This means that the value of arcsec is equal to the reciprocal of the value of arccos. In other words, arcsec is the inverse of arccos.

4. Can arcsec and arccos be used interchangeably?

No, arcsec and arccos cannot be used interchangeably. While they are related, they have different units and represent different concepts. Arcsec is a unit of measurement, while arccos is a mathematical function.

5. What is the practical application of arcsec = 1/arccos?

The formula arcsec = 1/arccos is commonly used in astronomy to convert between units of angular measurement. It is also used in mathematics to solve trigonometric equations involving the inverse cosine function.