Is collsional frequency actually frequency per an electron?

In summary, the collisional frequency is calculated using the formula ν = nt×average of (σv), where nt, σ, and v represent the density of target particles, collisional cross section, and kinetic velocity of incident particles, respectively. This value is an average frequency of collisions for a single incident particle, not the sum of all collisional frequencies for all incident particles. The mean free path can also be defined as l = 1/(σ*nt), which is the average distance traveled between collisions. The collision frequency only depends on the material properties of the target and not the beam. The luminosity of the beam, which is the number of beam particles per unit time, also affects the collision frequency as it determines the average interval
goodphy
Hello.

The collisional frequency is generally expressed by ν = nt×average of (σv), where nt, σ and v are density of target (atoms or molecules), collisional cross section of target and kinetic velocity of incident particles. σ depends on kinetic energy of incident particles

I thought collisional frequency must also be replied on density of incident particles but typically expression doesn't have this factor. Let's imagine thermal collision of electrons to other particles. With the same electron temperature and target density, collision frequency should be proportional to the electron density. That is why this is werld for me.

So I guess collision frequency calculated from the formula above is actually collisional frequency per an indicent particle. I'm wondering my interpretation is right.

Please help me to clarify this:)

Physics news on Phys.org
goodphy said:
Hello.

The collisional frequency is generally expressed by ν = nt×average of (σv), where nt, σ and v are density of target (atoms or molecules), collisional cross section of target and kinetic velocity of incident particles. σ depends on kinetic energy of incident particles

I thought collisional frequency must also be replied on density of incident particles but typically expression doesn't have this factor. Let's imagine thermal collision of electrons to other particles. With the same electron temperature and target density, collision frequency should be proportional to the electron density. That is why this is werld for me.

So I guess collision frequency calculated from the formula above is actually collisional frequency per an indicent particle. I'm wondering my interpretation is right.

Please help me to clarify this:)
It is just the frequency of collisions bbetween incident and target particles. The mean free path can be defined as l = 1/(σ*nt). You can think of this as the average distance traveled between collisions. So your equation can be rewritten as nu = v/l = speed/distance. This is obviously in units of Hz, e.g. it is a frequency. Perhaps easier to understand if you want time between collisions: t = l/v. And of course nu = 1/t.
The collision frequency just depends on the material properties of the target and not the beam (obviously velocity of beamed particles but that's not a material property)

There is something calle dthe luminosity of the beam and that depends on the number of beam particles per unit time.

Likes goodphy
This value of frequency will be an 'average' value because the particles will not be arriving at regular intervals.
1/(mean interval between collisions) would be a mean frequency.

Hello answerers

Thanks to give me very clear point. As Collisional frequency formula is equal to speed of an incident particle/mean free path of that particle, so it is average value of collisional frequency for a particle, not sum of all collisional frequency for all incident particles.

I think this interpretation is correct.

1. What is collsional frequency?

Collsional frequency, also known as collision frequency, is a measure of the average number of collisions that occur between particles per unit time.

2. How is collsional frequency related to electrons?

Collsional frequency is related to electrons in a gas because electrons are one of the particles that can undergo collisions with other particles in the gas.

3. Is collsional frequency the same as frequency per an electron?

No, collsional frequency and frequency per an electron are not the same. Collsional frequency is the average number of collisions per unit time, while frequency per an electron is the number of oscillations or vibrations per unit time.

4. How is collsional frequency calculated?

Collsional frequency can be calculated by dividing the total number of collisions by the total time period in which the collisions occur.

5. Why is collsional frequency important in science?

Collsional frequency is important in science because it helps to understand the behavior of particles in a gas and how they interact with each other. It is also used in various studies and experiments to determine the properties of gases and their dynamics.