Is δ(x+y)=δ(x-y) for Dirac Delta Function?

In summary, the Dirac Delta Function is a distribution defined by how it acts on a function in the sense of a linear functional. Its properties can be proven by evaluating formal integrals and it is important to note that for two delta functions to be equal, their singularities must occur at the same place identically. The integral of the delta function with a function f(x) results in f(-y) for even functions and -f(y) for odd functions. Therefore, in general, δ(x+y) is not equal to δ(x-y).
Poligon

Homework Statement

Good day.

May I know, for Dirac Delta Function,
Is δ(x+y)=δ(x-y)?

The Attempt at a Solution

Since δ(x)=δ(-x), I would say δ(x+y)=δ(x-y). Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that's not correct! The [itex]\delta[/itex] distribution (not function!) is defined by how it is acting on a function in the sense of a linear functional, written as a formal integral,
[tex]\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \delta(x) f(x)=f(0),[/tex]
where [itex]f[/itex] is a function of an appropriate space of functions (e.g., the Schwartz space of quickly vanishing functions or the space of functions with compact support, etc.).

You can prove properties of the distribution by formally handling this kind of integral as if the [itex]\delta[/itex] distribution were a usual function. E.g., you have
[tex]\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \delta(x-y) f(x) = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x' \delta(x') f(x'+y)=f(0+y)=f(y).[/tex]
Now you can evaluate yourself, what [itex]\delta(x+y)[/itex] must be and also prove the (correct) statement [itex]\delta(-x)=\delta(x)[/itex].

In order for two delta functions to be equal, their singularities must occur at the same place IDENTICALLY.

Thus, you must ask yourself:
Is x+y=x-y an identity or an equation?

Hi vanhees71 and arildno,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply!

I see. So ∫dx δ(x+y)f(x) will equal to f(-y),

if f(x) is an even function, then
∫dx δ(x+y)f(x) = f(y)

if f(x) is an odd functoin, then
∫dx δ(x+y)f(x) = -f(y)

Am I correct? I am sorry if I still not able to get the concept, do allow me to make some mistakes so I can learn from it. While for arildno's question, I am sorry that I am not able to answer as it's little deep for me (I can't understand what equation and identity are in this context). I will dig into that.

Yes, that's correct. So you see that in general [itex]\delta(x+y) \neq \delta(x-y)[/itex].

Likes 1 person

Related to Is δ(x+y)=δ(x-y) for Dirac Delta Function?

1. What is the Dirac Delta Function Identity?

The Dirac Delta Function Identity, also known as the Dirac Delta Function or the Delta Function, is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite. It is commonly represented by the symbol δ(x) and is used in various fields of science, particularly in physics and engineering, to model point-like interactions or impulsive phenomena.

2. How is the Dirac Delta Function Identity used in science?

The Dirac Delta Function Identity is used in various scientific disciplines, including physics, engineering, mathematics, and signal processing. It is used to describe point-like interactions, impulsive forces, and singularities in physical systems. It is also used to simplify calculations in integrals and differential equations, and in the analysis of signals and systems.

3. What are the properties of the Dirac Delta Function Identity?

The Dirac Delta Function Identity has several properties that make it a useful mathematical tool. It is odd and symmetric, meaning that δ(-x)=-δ(x) and δ(x)=δ(-x). It is also a unit impulse, meaning that its integral over the entire real line is equal to one. Additionally, it satisfies the sifting property, which states that ∫f(x)δ(x-a)dx = f(a) for any continuous function f(x).

4. How is the Dirac Delta Function Identity related to the Kronecker Delta?

The Dirac Delta Function Identity and the Kronecker Delta are both mathematical functions that are used to represent discrete or point-like interactions. However, the Dirac Delta Function is defined in the continuous domain, while the Kronecker Delta is defined in the discrete domain. The Dirac Delta Function is used in calculus and analysis, while the Kronecker Delta is used in linear algebra and discrete mathematics.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Dirac Delta Function Identity?

The Dirac Delta Function Identity has many practical applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is used to model point-like forces and impulses in mechanical systems, such as collisions and impacts. It is also used in electrical engineering to model the response of systems to impulsive signals, and in signal processing to analyze and filter signals. In physics, it is used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics and to model interactions in nuclear physics.