Is electromagnetic radiation a form of kinetic energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the classification of EM radiation as kinetic energy and the possibility of it also having a different type of energy. The participants also discuss the energy/mass of a Higgs boson and determine it to be potential energy.
Green dwarf
Hi, I'm a high school science teacher. Most textbooks classify EM radiation as kinetic energy. But this doesn't seem right to me. As a photon is massless it's hard to see how it can have kinetic energy which is 1/2 mv^2.
It could be said that it has energy hf and therefore mass hf/c^2. Then its kinetic energy would be 1/2 hf/c^2 x c^2, which is 1/2 hf. If its energy is kinetic, then it seems hf = 1/2 hf . . . disproof by contradiction? Or is half of its energy kinetic and half something else?
A Higgs boson has an energy/mass of about 127 GeV. This is the case even if it's not moving, so it's not kinetic energy. Is it a separate type of energy (not kinetic or potential) - maybe mass energy or rest-mass energy. If it is, then can a photon (which is also a boson) be energy of the same type?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the middle of your calculations you assumed ##E = mc^2## to get the mass of a photon. This equation is for the rest energy of a particle. In fact. It is sometimes written as ##E_0 = mc^2##.

As a photon is never at rest this equation does not apply.

The equation relating the mass and total energy of a particle is

##E = \gamma mc^2##

As the photon travels at ##c## its gamma factor is undefined, so this equation doesn't apply either.

Another useful equation is

##E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4##

This applies to all particles, including massless photons, in which case it reduces to

##E = pc##

Thanks DrClaude and PeroK for your responses pointing out the errors in my thinking. I still don't know the answer to my question though - whether EM radiation is kinetic energy. Just a yes/no answer would be ok.

Green dwarf said:
Thanks DrClaude and PeroK for your responses pointing out the errors in my thinking. I still don't know the answer to my question though - whether EM radiation is kinetic energy. Just a yes/no answer would be ok.

"Yes"

Please note that the people who responded made an effort to not just say "Yes" or "No", but rather tried to explain the answer.

Zz.

Likes PeroK
EM radiation is unique in that it is all kinetic energy.

The equation for kinetic energy that you quoted above ##T = \frac{1}{2} mv^2## is a nonrelativistic approximation which cannot be used for light.
The more correct form for the kinetic energy is:
##T = E - mc^2##
where ##E = \sqrt{m^2c^4 + p^2c^2}##
For light, ##m=0##, so you get
##T = pc##

For your benefit, let's approximate T when v<<c.
##p=\gamma m v \approx m v##
##E \approx mc^2 \sqrt{1 + v^2/c^2} \approx mc^2 + \frac{1}{2} m v^2##
Therefore, ##T \approx \frac{1}{2}mv^2##

Thanks ZapperZ and Khashishi. I am now happy that EM radiation is kinetic energy.
I am still wondering though, what type of energy is the 127 GeV of a Higgs boson. Is it kinetic or potential or something else?

Potential. Rest mass is potential energy.

Thanks Khashishi.

1. What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a form of energy that is emitted and absorbed by charged particles. It consists of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate at right angles to each other and travel through space at the speed of light.

2. Is electromagnetic radiation a form of kinetic energy?

Yes, electromagnetic radiation is a form of kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, and electromagnetic radiation is the movement of electrically charged particles. Therefore, it can be classified as kinetic energy.

3. How is electromagnetic radiation different from other forms of energy?

Electromagnetic radiation is different from other forms of energy because it does not require a medium to travel through. It can travel through a vacuum, such as space, whereas other forms of energy, such as sound, require a medium, such as air, to travel through.

4. What are the different types of electromagnetic radiation?

There are several different types of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. These types differ in their wavelengths and frequencies, and can have different effects on matter.

5. What are some examples of how electromagnetic radiation is used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic radiation has numerous everyday applications, such as in communication technology (e.g. radio, television, and cell phones), heating food in a microwave, and producing light in a light bulb. It is also used in medical imaging, such as X-rays, and in industrial processes, such as welding and heating materials.