Is electroweak symmetry breaking a reversible process?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a Higgs being found and the concept of hysteresis in physical processes. The topic then shifts to the potential danger of a large black hole losing mass terms and the idea of a photon gaining mass. The speaker also mentions their lack of expertise in physics and asks for clarification on the relevance of symmetry restoration in high-energy particle collisions.
feathermoon
I can only assume it is, if a Higgs can be found anyway. I learned about hysteresis in certain physical processes. I don't have the math to guess nor Google skills to find a clear answer.

If it were, would a sufficiently large and hot enough black hole be in danger of losing its mass terms spontaneously (and so exploding or maybe recollapsing before matter could escape the event horizon because it cooled again and gained mass term)? At the other end, I'm interested in whether a photon could gain mass.

Its probably obvious I'm not super good at physics so excuse me if this sounds stupid.

Physics news on Phys.org
In principle, yes. Fundamental symmetries can be restored. Perhaps the easiest way to visualize is through analogy with ferromagnetism. Above a certain temperature (the Curie temperature), ferromagnetism is lost as the magnetic domains become randomly oriented. This is an example of symmetry restoration, since the system becomes fully rotationally symmetric. In the same way, at sufficiently high temperatures the vacuum of the Higgs field regains the full electroweak symmetry.

I'd have thought this would be of relevance to high-energy particle collisions. Shouldn't there be an energy level above which we have to stop thinking of (eg) electrons and positrons annihilating into either photons or Z0s and instead start thinking/calculating in terms of W0 and B (or arbitrary combinations of the two)?

Can anyone here enlighten me on this?

1. What is electroweak symmetry breaking?

Electroweak symmetry breaking is a fundamental process in particle physics that explains how the weak nuclear force and the electromagnetic force become distinct at high energies.

2. Is electroweak symmetry breaking a reversible process?

No, it is not a reversible process. Once the particle interactions undergo electroweak symmetry breaking, the resulting particles have distinct properties that cannot be reversed.

3. How does electroweak symmetry breaking occur?

Electroweak symmetry breaking occurs when particles interact with the Higgs field, which gives them mass and breaks the symmetry between the weak nuclear force and the electromagnetic force.

4. What is the significance of electroweak symmetry breaking?

Electroweak symmetry breaking is significant because it is responsible for the creation of mass in elementary particles and is a crucial step in understanding the fundamental forces of the universe.

5. Can electroweak symmetry breaking be observed in experiments?

Yes, electroweak symmetry breaking has been observed in experiments at the Large Hadron Collider, where the Higgs boson was discovered in 2012. This provided evidence for the existence of the Higgs field and the process of electroweak symmetry breaking.