1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is f Differentiable? - Vector Calculus

1. Sep 27, 2006 #1
    I have a problem regarding the function f (x,y) = {x*y*(x^2-y^2)/(x^2+y^2) if (x,y)!=(0,0) and f(x,y)=0 if (x,y)=(0,0).

I am asked if this function is differentiable. Running it through a graphing program it looks differentiable. I know the partial derivatives of it in terms of x and y are 0 and 0 respectively and I know that a function is differentiable at (0,0) if fx(0,0) and fy(0,0) exists which they do and if lim (x,y)->(0,0) [f(x,y)-h(x,y)/||(x,y)-(a,b)||]=0 where h(x,y) describes the tangent plane of the function at point (a,b) or in our case (0,0).

So after a lot of algebra which I will not repeat here using the above definition I boil it all down to lim (x,y)->(0,0) [x*y*(x^2-y^2)/sqrt(x^2+y^2)] and the question is does this = 0? I have tried to prove it is using delta epsilon proofs but I just get a bunch of gibberish unless I am doing something wrong, I might be I am not sure and I have also tried to prove this is wrong by trying to come into (0,0) at some odd angle like y=mx and showing it doesn't = 0 but all attempts have failed. Help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2006 #2
    Bump, anyone?
  4. Sep 28, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The simplest thing to do with limits of functions of two variables at (0, 0) is convert to polar coordinates. That way the single variable r gives the distance from (0,0). If the limit as r goes to 0 is independent of [itex]\theta[/itex] then the limit as (x,y)-> (0,0) exists and is that value.
  5. Sep 28, 2006 #4
    \left| {\frac{{xy\left( {x^2 - y^2 } \right)}}{{\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 } }} - 0} \right|

\le \left| {\frac{{x\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 } \left( {x^2 - y^2 } \right)}}{{\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 } }}} \right|

= \left| x \right|\left| {x^2 - y^2 } \right|

\le \left| x \right|\left( {\left| x \right|^2 + \left| y \right|^2 } \right)

\le \sqrt {x^2 + y^2 } \left[ {\left( {x^2 + y^2 } \right) + \left( {x^2 + y^2 } \right)} \right]

What's between zero and delta? (refer to the definition)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?