Is f Differentiable? - Vector Calculus

In summary, the function is differentiable at (0,0) if fx(0,0) and fy(0,0) exist and if lim (x,y)->(0,0) [f(x,y)-h(x,y)/||(x,y)-(a,b)||]=0.
Lancen
I have a problem regarding the function f (x,y) = {x*y*(x^2-y^2)/(x^2+y^2) if (x,y)!=(0,0) and f(x,y)=0 if (x,y)=(0,0).

I am asked if this function is differentiable. Running it through a graphing program it looks differentiable. I know the partial derivatives of it in terms of x and y are 0 and 0 respectively and I know that a function is differentiable at (0,0) if fx(0,0) and fy(0,0) exists which they do and if lim (x,y)->(0,0) [f(x,y)-h(x,y)/||(x,y)-(a,b)||]=0 where h(x,y) describes the tangent plane of the function at point (a,b) or in our case (0,0).

So after a lot of algebra which I will not repeat here using the above definition I boil it all down to lim (x,y)->(0,0) [x*y*(x^2-y^2)/sqrt(x^2+y^2)] and the question is does this = 0? I have tried to prove it is using delta epsilon proofs but I just get a bunch of gibberish unless I am doing something wrong, I might be I am not sure and I have also tried to prove this is wrong by trying to come into (0,0) at some odd angle like y=mx and showing it doesn't = 0 but all attempts have failed. Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump, anyone?

The simplest thing to do with limits of functions of two variables at (0, 0) is convert to polar coordinates. That way the single variable r gives the distance from (0,0). If the limit as r goes to 0 is independent of [itex]\theta[/itex] then the limit as (x,y)-> (0,0) exists and is that value.

[tex]
\left| {\frac{{xy\left( {x^2 - y^2 } \right)}}{{\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 } }} - 0} \right|
[/tex]

[tex]
\le \left| {\frac{{x\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 } \left( {x^2 - y^2 } \right)}}{{\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 } }}} \right|
[/tex]

[tex]
= \left| x \right|\left| {x^2 - y^2 } \right|
[/tex]

[tex]
\le \left| x \right|\left( {\left| x \right|^2 + \left| y \right|^2 } \right)
[/tex]

[tex]
\le \sqrt {x^2 + y^2 } \left[ {\left( {x^2 + y^2 } \right) + \left( {x^2 + y^2 } \right)} \right]
[/tex]

What's between zero and delta? (refer to the definition)

1. Is f differentiable at a point?

To determine if a function f is differentiable at a point, we must first check if the limit of the difference quotient exists at that point. If the limit exists, then f is differentiable at that point.

2. How do we find the derivative of a vector-valued function?

To find the derivative of a vector-valued function, we can use the standard rules of differentiation for each component of the vector function. Alternatively, we can use the chain rule to differentiate the function as a whole.

3. What is the relationship between differentiability and continuity?

A function must be continuous in order to be differentiable. However, a function can be continuous at a point without being differentiable at that point. This means that differentiability is a stricter condition than continuity.

4. Can a function be differentiable but not continuous?

No, a function must be continuous to be differentiable. If a function is not continuous, it cannot have a derivative at that point.

5. How does the differentiability of a function affect its graph?

The differentiability of a function affects the graph by determining the slope of the tangent line at each point. If a function is differentiable at a point, the tangent line exists and the graph is smooth at that point. If a function is not differentiable at a point, the tangent line does not exist and the graph may have a sharp corner or cusp at that point.