News Is Fox News Fair and balanced?

• Thread starter Skyhunter
  • Start date
S

Skyhunter

The point is not what was uncovered, but rather that they did the investigation.
How did they report what they didn't find?

This just drives home the point.

They ignored Sarah Palin's ties to the anti-American segregationists, but they were all over Barack Obama serving on the same inner city education improvement board as Bill Ayers.

What you have is known as a confirmation bias. You are not special, we all have a bias to one degree or another. If I believe something I want my belief to be true. Therefore, when I see or hear something that confirms my belief I am biased toward it. And when I see or hear something that contradicts my belief, I am biased against it.

The only difference between the sage and the fool is that the sage knows he is a fool.

S

Skyhunter

Standard Leftist dogma. You criticize someone and get accused of doing "personal attacks" or being "hateful."

None of it is personal, you are right, and I do not see any personal attacks from seycyrus. I do not see anyone calling anyone any names.
seycyrus said:
Go back to your liberal blogs, where they tell you how bad FN is ... or better yet, that one website where they proudly proclaim (and their readers proudly swallow) that they filter the content.
That is a personal attack. He is insinuating that Lowly Pion is incabable of critical thought and proudly swallows whatever propaganda he is fed.

Danger

Gold Member
I'm starting to regret ever getting involved in this thread. I'll continue getting my news from CTV, occasionally CBC, and definitely the 'Daily Show with Jon Stewart' for the Yank stuff.

Incidentally, I want to make it clear that I have nothing against the Fox network. 'Smallville' is one of my absolute favourite shows, as are a few other of their fiction series'. It's only their news that sucks **** from dead pigeons.

S

seycyrus

I'm not fighting any channel wars here. I'm merely observing what I see Fox has been engaging in as regards to the last election cycle. ...
What you have observed? or what you have been selectively shown?

The thought that Fox represents balanced broadcasting when they have indulged in such heavy partisan rhetoric the past election cycle, and continue to as well, is simply unsupportable.
Well, when they say "Fair and balanced", the implied "compared to every other network out there" is obvious.

And correct.

S

seycyrus

seycyrus,

None of this is meant to be personal. So please stop the personal attacks on others.

It is a joke. Like Fox News.
So, what time are you going to be watching? So we can compare notes?

And then we can do the same thing with CNN, and see how they compare?

Oh wait...I know the answer to this one...

But in the interest of a possible different outcome...

What day, what time?

S

seycyrus

That is a personal attack. He is insinuating that Lowly Pion is incabable of critical thought and proudly swallows whatever propaganda he is fed.
Oh, I'd *LOVE* to see PF start enforcing *that*. As if we don't get the implied insinuations about conservatives every day and night.

As long as the rule is applied uniformly, I'm game.

A

Al68

Oh, I'd *LOVE* to see PF start enforcing *that*. As if we don't get the implied insinuations about conservatives every day and night.

As long as the rule is applied uniformly, I'm game.
Come on, without personal attacks, what would that leave the left with? Nothing. If they can't accuse their opposition of being for the rich, not caring about poor people, old people, etc, how would they stir up hatred for Republicans?

That's been the bread and butter for Democrats for decades, we can't take that away, can we?

I don't which is more of a joke: Fox News, this thread, or those who defend Fox News in this thread.

Others have made this point, and I agree. No news station is truly "fair and balanced", though they all claim it. I don't really see any reason to ask this question, other than to make a sarcastic or facetious point.

russ_watters

Mentor
I agree, Oscar, but one little note:

Fox is being measured against the 3 other big networks and CNN and measured against them, Fox news is more biased. For some reason, though, people tend to leave MSNBC out of the comparison even though MSNBC is the same type of major network news subchannel as Foxnews. On bias, Foxnews compares pretty favorably with MSNBC. Kieth Olberman, in particular, is every bit the ideologue that guys like Hannity and Beck are.

In addition, people wrongly tend to separate the other networks' news from their talk/commentary, and don't do the same with Fox. CNN has a very good reputation for quality news, but when you look at their talk, you find a pretty strong liberal bias. Similarly, when you broaden your examination of the other 3 major networks to include their news magazines and talk shows, you get a similarly more aggressive liberal bias.

Yes, fox is arrogant for putting the slogan on their ads, but it is just a slogan. As you say, they are all biased and all claim to be unbiased. The fact that Fox has the slogan doesn't really have any bearing on that.

Danger

Gold Member
I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and issue a challenge. Anyone living near enough to the Canadian border is invited to watch CTV, CBC, and Global news and then compare it to Fox, MSNBC or the like. I believe that you'll notice a major difference in the manner of coverage. (They will, of course, have more of a Canuck focus, but they aren't limited to that.)

I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and issue a challenge. Anyone living near enough to the Canadian border is invited to watch CTV, CBC, and Global news and then compare it to Fox, MSNBC or the like. I believe that you'll notice a major difference in the manner of coverage. (They will, of course, have more of a Canuck focus, but they aren't limited to that.)
Talking about Canada..here's another controversy from Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcJn5XlbSFk

and apology:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510583,00.html

Their comedy makes me sick :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Danger

Gold Member
Yet another example of Fox mentality (??) in action. Does that scrawny little ***head even realize that red serge is the Mountie dress uniform as used at funerals and parades, as opposed to the grey and blue duty uniforms which include flack-jackets?

W

Woody101

Most people tend to watch the news that supports their position. Liberals like the networks and CNN because they lean to the left. Conservatives like Fox because it leans to the right. Unfortunately all of the mainstream media have lost their perspective. Medias' job is to report the news, not make the news. I wish there was one news channel that would simply report the news without any editorializing or slanting and allow me to form my own opinion instead of telling me what my opinion should be.

Most people tend to watch the news that supports their position. Liberals like the networks and CNN because they lean to the left. Conservatives like Fox because it leans to the right. Unfortunately all of the mainstream media have lost their perspective. Medias' job is to report the news, not make the news. I wish there was one news channel that would simply report the news without any editorializing or slanting and allow me to form my own opinion instead of telling me what my opinion should be.
www.charlierose.com

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
Well, when they say "Fair and balanced", the implied "compared to every other network out there" is obvious.
Sorry, that dog don't hunt.

Dabbling in relatives when the issue is absolutes?

No one is talking about what other biases there are in the broadcast spectrum. The topic is that Fox is the one engaging in their own brand of conservative group think.

Just read Roger Ailes mini-biography:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Ailes

It reads like a Conservative Eagle Scout's badge sash.

The bias starts at the top and permeates the organization. From Fox and Friends in the morning through Neil Cavuto's Ayn Rand view of business to the talking heads in the evenings, these people are apparently hand picked to appeal to a certain conservative fundamentalist demographic. It's just business and selling commercials to advertisers that want to reach people spending money. Why pretend otherwise?

D

drankin

Sorry, that dog don't hunt.

Dabbling in relatives when the issue is absolutes?

No one is talking about what other biases there are in the broadcast spectrum. The topic is that Fox is the one engaging in their own brand of conservative group think.

Just read Roger Ailes mini-biography:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Ailes

It reads like a Conservative Eagle Scout's badge sash.

The bias starts at the top and permeates the organization. From Fox and Friends in the morning through Neil Cavuto's Ayn Rand view of business to the talking heads in the evenings, these people are apparently hand picked to appeal to a certain conservative fundamentalist demographic. It's just business and selling commercials to advertisers that want to reach people spending money. Why pretend otherwise?

Why not? People are buying it. It's successful for a reason. They have the right mix of entertainment, news, and conservative bias that MOST Americans like to hear. "Fair and Balanced" is BS and most watching it know that. It's a slogan. Most slogans are BS.

Danger

Gold Member
I wish there was one news channel that would simply report the news without any editorializing or slanting and allow me to form my own opinion instead of telling me what my opinion should be.
I refer you to my previous challenge re: CTV, CBC, and Global. :biggrin:

Why not? People are buying it. It's successful for a reason. They have the right mix of entertainment, news, and conservative bias that MOST Americans like to hear. "Fair and Balanced" is BS and most watching it know that. It's a slogan. Most slogans are BS.
The worst slogan is by far CBS............."GOOD NEWS".

I'm like, seriously? "good news?" Thats no better than 'fair and balanced'.

All charlie rose says at the end of his show is "thank you, and goodnight". Plus his wardobe comes from Ralph Lauren purple label.

K

kyleb

Corporate media has been leading society astray for far longer than FoxNews has been around, though they did take it to a new level. I hope society wakes up to that fact sooner rather than latter, as following the path our oligarchy sets out for us isn't doing us any good.

S

seycyrus

I was about to issue a statement asking you for specific times and dates etc. So we can minimize the generalities and the vagueness. We are supposed to be scientists here, aren't we?

But then I realized you were talking about a station that I don't believe I have access to, so it seems to be a moot point.

Why don't you take a notepad in hand and document an hour of each?

I rarely see legitimate opposing points of view on stations besides FN.

S

seycyrus

S

seycyrus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcJn5XlbSFk

and apology:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510583,00.html

Their comedy makes me sick :(
It made you sick? Gut wrenching nausea? Uncontrollable spasms?

Really now...

It was humorous.

There have been many films and books that have portrayed the relative strength of the Canadian military. What was your response to them? Cardiac arrest?

The joke ensued from the poor choice of words that the host chose to focus on, i.e. "...take a break from the war..."

And the apology was basically to those serving in the military.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

seycyrus

Yet another example of Fox mentality (??) in action.
Good humour being used to make legitimate points? Keep up the good work, I say!

Does that scrawny little ***head even realize that red serge is the Mountie dress uniform as used at funerals and parades, as opposed to the grey and blue duty uniforms which include flack-jackets?
Well, if you pressed him on the issue, he would probably say that he realizes that the Canucks have other uniforms as well.

But is that an important issue. He was making a joke using a visible stereotype. People making jokes usually do that.

I love how the majority of the conservative bashing has centered on what people are saying in their comedy routines!

The issue here is that it is an inherently dishonest slogan, just as most of their "news anchors" are inherently dishonest people.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads