Is Fox News Fair and balanced?

• News
  • Thread starter Skyhunter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
Dare I say it?Is it because he is black?I would be interested to hear what it was that Fox "uncovered" about Obama that was not common knowledge in all the other news media, including the right wing print media.Asking if Fox news is fair and unbiased is like asking if a trout is dry. They're considered a major joke everywhere outside of the US.I wouldn't say it's a joke, but it's definitely seen as biased and not very reliable. However, I feel that way about most news networks. It's always good to get information from a variety of sources and form your own opinions.
I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and issue a challenge. Anyone living near enough to the Canadian border is invited to watch CTV, CBC, and Global news and then compare it to Fox, MSNBC or the like. I believe that you'll notice a major difference in the manner of coverage. (They will, of course, have more of a Canuck focus, but they aren't limited to that.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and issue a challenge. Anyone living near enough to the Canadian border is invited to watch CTV, CBC, and Global news and then compare it to Fox, MSNBC or the like. I believe that you'll notice a major difference in the manner of coverage. (They will, of course, have more of a Canuck focus, but they aren't limited to that.)

Talking about Canada..here's another controversy from Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcJn5XlbSFk

and apology:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510583,00.html

Their comedy makes me sick :(

Last edited by a moderator:
rootX said:

Yet another example of Fox mentality (??) in action. Does that scrawny little ***head even realize that red serge is the Mountie dress uniform as used at funerals and parades, as opposed to the grey and blue duty uniforms which include flack-jackets?

Most people tend to watch the news that supports their position. Liberals like the networks and CNN because they lean to the left. Conservatives like Fox because it leans to the right. Unfortunately all of the mainstream media have lost their perspective. Medias' job is to report the news, not make the news. I wish there was one news channel that would simply report the news without any editorializing or slanting and allow me to form my own opinion instead of telling me what my opinion should be.

Woody101 said:
Most people tend to watch the news that supports their position. Liberals like the networks and CNN because they lean to the left. Conservatives like Fox because it leans to the right. Unfortunately all of the mainstream media have lost their perspective. Medias' job is to report the news, not make the news. I wish there was one news channel that would simply report the news without any editorializing or slanting and allow me to form my own opinion instead of telling me what my opinion should be.

www.charlierose.com

seycyrus said:
Well, when they say "Fair and balanced", the implied "compared to every other network out there" is obvious.

Sorry, that dog don't hunt.

Dabbling in relatives when the issue is absolutes?

No one is talking about what other biases there are in the broadcast spectrum. The topic is that Fox is the one engaging in their own brand of conservative group think.

Just read Roger Ailes mini-biography:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Ailes

It reads like a Conservative Eagle Scout's badge sash.

The bias starts at the top and permeates the organization. From Fox and Friends in the morning through Neil Cavuto's Ayn Rand view of business to the talking heads in the evenings, these people are apparently hand picked to appeal to a certain conservative fundamentalist demographic. It's just business and selling commercials to advertisers that want to reach people spending money. Why pretend otherwise?

LowlyPion said:

No one is talking about what other biases there are in the broadcast spectrum. The topic is that Fox is the one engaging in their own brand of conservative group think.

It reads like a Conservative Eagle Scout's badge sash.

The bias starts at the top and permeates the organization. From Fox and Friends in the morning through Neil Cavuto's Ayn Rand view of business to the talking heads in the evenings, these people are apparently hand picked to appeal to a certain conservative fundamentalist demographic. It's just business and selling commercials to advertisers that want to reach people spending money. Why pretend otherwise?

Why not? People are buying it. It's successful for a reason. They have the right mix of entertainment, news, and conservative bias that MOST Americans like to hear. "Fair and Balanced" is BS and most watching it know that. It's a slogan. Most slogans are BS.

Woody101 said:
I wish there was one news channel that would simply report the news without any editorializing or slanting and allow me to form my own opinion instead of telling me what my opinion should be.
I refer you to my previous challenge re: CTV, CBC, and Global. :biggrin:

drankin said:
Why not? People are buying it. It's successful for a reason. They have the right mix of entertainment, news, and conservative bias that MOST Americans like to hear. "Fair and Balanced" is BS and most watching it know that. It's a slogan. Most slogans are BS.

The worst slogan is by far CBS...."GOOD NEWS".

I'm like, seriously? "good news?" Thats no better than 'fair and balanced'.

All charlie rose says at the end of his show is "thank you, and goodnight". Plus his wardobe comes from Ralph Lauren purple label.

Corporate media has been leading society astray for far longer than FoxNews has been around, though they did take it to a new level. I hope society wakes up to that fact sooner rather than latter, as following the path our oligarchy sets out for us isn't doing us any good.

Danger said:

I was about to issue a statement asking you for specific times and dates etc. So we can minimize the generalities and the vagueness. We are supposed to be scientists here, aren't we?

But then I realized you were talking about a station that I don't believe I have access to, so it seems to be a moot point.

Why don't you take a notepad in hand and document an hour of each?

I rarely see legitimate opposing points of view on stations besides FN.

LowlyPion said:

The issues are absolute??!

Will you allow me to pick the wall where I get to line up? I prefer non-menthol. No blindfold please.

LowlyPion said:

I fail to where that link supports your contentions.

rootX said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcJn5XlbSFk

and apology:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510583,00.html

Their comedy makes me sick :(

It made you sick? Gut wrenching nausea? Uncontrollable spasms?

Really now...

It was humorous.

There have been many films and books that have portrayed the relative strength of the Canadian military. What was your response to them? Cardiac arrest?

The joke ensued from the poor choice of words that the host chose to focus on, i.e. "...take a break from the war..."

And the apology was basically to those serving in the military.

Danger said:
Yet another example of Fox mentality (??) in action.

Good humour being used to make legitimate points? Keep up the good work, I say!

Danger said:
Does that scrawny little ***head even realize that red serge is the Mountie dress uniform as used at funerals and parades, as opposed to the grey and blue duty uniforms which include flack-jackets?

Well, if you pressed him on the issue, he would probably say that he realizes that the Canucks have other uniforms as well.

But is that an important issue. He was making a joke using a visible stereotype. People making jokes usually do that.

I love how the majority of the conservative bashing has centered on what people are saying in their comedy routines!

drankin said:

The issue here is that it is an inherently dishonest slogan, just as most of their "news anchors" are inherently dishonest people.

seycyrus said:
Good humour being used to make legitimate points? Keep up the good work, I say!

Well, if you pressed him on the issue, he would probably say that he realizes that the Canucks have other uniforms as well.

But is that an important issue. He was making a joke using a visible stereotype. People making jokes usually do that.

I love how the majority of the conservative bashing has centered on what people are saying in their comedy routines!

If it's a comedy routine, quit calling it news. It isn't news and portraying "conservative commentary" as "fair and balanced news" exposes the right wing for the fraud which it has become. Keep up the little "comedy routine" - seriously. It gives the Democratic Party more votes.

Mgt3 said:
If it's a comedy routine, quit calling it news. It isn't news and portraying "conservative commentary" as "fair and balanced news" exposes the right wing for the fraud which it has become. Keep up the little "comedy routine" - seriously. It gives the Democratic Party more votes.

Excuse me?

It was a comedy segment. Did you watch the segment? Did you read the apology?

Would you, you = mgt, care to take the "News channel challenge" ?

Mgt3 said:
If it's a comedy routine, quit calling it news.

Agreed, and even as comedy it sucked. It wasn't even vaguely funny. The nearest thing that I can compare it to was 'Seinfeld'; just a bunch of ignorant ***holes sitting around trying to be clever.
And before anyone can accuse me of being overly protective of the Horsemen, I loved the Dudley Doright cartoons.

Last edited:
Danger said:
Agreed, and even as comedy it sucked. It wasn't even vaguely funny. The nearest thing that I can compare it to was 'Seinfeld'; just a bunch of ignorant ***holes sitting around trying to be clever.
And before anyone can accuse me of being overly protective of the Horsemen, I loved the Dudley Doright cartoons.

It was HILARIOUS!

and it was a comedy segment.

Once again, only certain types of humor are allowed.

This is just like Columbia university, where everyone believes in free speech, unless the free speech is something they don't like.

seycyrus said:
It was HILARIOUS!

You have got to be kidding. People with your sense of humour are probably why Seinfeld stayed on the air for more than one episode. Let me guess; your favourite meal is squirrel pie with possum gravy. :rolleyes:

Danger said:
You have got to be kidding. People with your sense of humour are probably why Seinfeld stayed on the air for more than one episode. Let me guess; your favourite meal is squirrel pie with possum gravy. :rolleyes:

The humor on the daily show is FAR closer to that portrayed on Seinfeld.

seycyrus said:

With the notable exception that 'Daily' is clever and funny while 'Seinfeld' wasn't.

Danger said:
With the notable exception that 'Daily' is clever and funny while 'Seinfeld' wasn't.

Quality of humor content is the same, political bias is more emphasized with the daily show, leading to your acceptance of this the daily shows humor.

Note that Seinfeld was situated in New York...

and we know how New York voted in the last few elections.

Therefore... it is obvious that Democrats all like Seinfeld!

:)

The thread is about Fox but you are welcome to illustrate the bias in other media outlets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5rqdtZlec0s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5rqdtZlec0s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yXJIV4f4ZQ0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yXJIV4f4ZQ0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

These are parts one and two.

Danger said:
Maybe Stewart use to be funny. Now he's mostly a sanctimonious lecturer hiding behind comedy. Worse, Stewart knows many people are using his show as a news source, but he continues to relieve himself from the usual news source criticisms by running the laugh track (and his audience is a laugh track). Leno, e.g., is a comedian that does political jokes, equal opportunity barbs. Stewart's a lecturer on an inexplicably criticism free gig.

mheslep said:
Maybe Stewart use to be funny. Now he's mostly a sanctimonious lecturer hiding behind comedy. Worse, Stewart knows many people are using his show as a news source, but he continues to relieve himself from the usual news source criticisms by running the laugh track (and his audience is a laugh track). Leno, e.g., is a comedian that does political jokes, equal opportunity barbs. Stewart's a lecturer on an inexplicably criticism free gig.

Stewart constantly says himself he is not a news sources, and that people should not use him for news.

Skyhunter said:
The thread is about Fox but you are welcome to illustrate the bias in other media outlets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rqdtZlec0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXJIV4f4ZQ0

These are parts one and two.

Thanks for the links. Forget Fair and Balanced. Apparently the Fox motto is a lie told often enough can pass as journalism?

Funny how Roger Ailes approach at Fox sounds so much like what went on in Citizen Cane.

Speaking of classics relevant today:

seycyrus said:
Quality of humor content is the same, political bias is more emphasized with the daily show, leading to your acceptance of this the daily shows humor.

Note that Seinfeld was situated in New York...

and we know how New York voted in the last few elections.

Therefore... it is obvious that Democrats all like Seinfeld!

:)

...?

seycyrus said:

No, not really.

mheslep said:

You and I probably agree that infotainment is a bad thing because it blurs the line between news and gibberish. However, while Stewart may be doing real news and commentary under the guise of comedy, Fox is a tabloid masquerading as a news agency, which is far more dangerous.

Did anyone stop the video to read the whole text of the memos shown with sections highlighted. What was left out changes the meaning of the memos considerably. For instance the one about the prison in Iraq, photos of the prison and conduct there provoke outrage what was left out was the statement "and rightly so". The memo went to ask the question, where is the outrage when the terrorists abuse or torture one of their captives. Further, I wouldn't consider a group of disgruntaled ex-employees reliable sources. I am sure that you are all aware of what can be done with a statement taken out of context.

In one of the previous comments someone made the remark about you all being scientists, well take the statement "Fox News Lies" and subject it to the same scientific scrutiny that you would apply to any other "theory". Here is the specific statement made by (name the commentator) and here is the documented fact that disproves the statement.

What I can't understand is why Fox News causes the liberal left to froth at the mouth and run in circles snapping at their rear ends. Why don't they just change the channel and drink the kool aid that is passing for news on the networks.:tongue:

Woody101 said:
Did anyone stop the video to read the whole text of the memos shown with sections highlighted. What was left out changes the meaning of the memos considerably. For instance the one about the prison in Iraq, photos of the prison and conduct there provoke outrage what was left out was the statement "and rightly so". The memo went to ask the question, where is the outrage when the terrorists abuse or torture one of their captives. Further, I wouldn't consider a group of disgruntaled ex-employees reliable sources. I am sure that you are all aware of what can be done with a statement taken out of context.

In one of the previous comments someone made the remark about you all being scientists, well take the statement "Fox News Lies" and subject it to the same scientific scrutiny that you would apply to any other "theory". Here is the specific statement made by (name the commentator) and here is the documented fact that disproves the statement.

What I can't understand is why Fox News causes the liberal left to froth at the mouth and run in circles snapping at their rear ends. Why don't they just change the channel and drink the kool aid that is passing for news on the networks.:tongue:

Funny how I've noticed conservatives love to use the word kool aid, never stopping to realize the kind of nonsense they are spoon fed from sources like Faux News. Sorry, the conservatives drink just as potent a kool aid, if not worse.

You really don't need to see much more of that ranting raving lunatic Bill O'Foolery to know he's a clown. He always yells at his guests. He has no class.

Woody101 said:
What I can't understand is why Fox News causes the liberal left to froth at the mouth and ...

Who's frothing at the mouth? It's pretty clear that Fox distorts the News to be supportive of conservative propaganda and talking points.

The fact that they would apparently use deceit and intimidation I'd say unfortunately leaves them acting more like fascists, than anything that might mirror American ideals or values for truth, as they would hypocritically claim.

Cyrus said:
You really don't need to see much more of that ranting raving lunatic Bill O'Foolery to know he's a clown. He always yells at his guests. He has no class.
It's too painful to watch that creep. When he is wrong, he digs his heels in, shouts over his guests, and even resorts to having the producer cut the guest's mic. He is incapable of critical reasoning, and uses bullying tactics to proclaim himself right when he is absolutely wrong. The people that cheer on fools like him are not "conservatives" - they are sheep who have to get their talking points from blowhards instead of thinking things through.

I'm with Ivan. I became a Democrat in response to Nixon's excesses, but re-joined the Republican fold to support Reagan. Worst vote I ever cast. He was a useful tool for the neocons like Ailes, and the "conservative" wing of the Republican party has since evaporated. What kind of conservative would start unnecessary wars, hand out fat no-bid contacts to his cronies, and in general act as if the President has the powers of a monarchy? I no longer trust either party, and have been registered as an Independent for many years. Where are the real conservatives like Bill Buckley, Barry Goldwater, etc? We could use some rational adults running the show - people who are driven by ideas and possibilities for the common good and not by a failed ideology.