Is gravity a force or a lack of a force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of gravity and its relationship to repelling and pulling forces. It is mentioned that the force of gravity is not a repelling force but rather a result of warped space due to the presence of mass. The idea of pressure as a cause of gravity is also discussed. The conversation ends with a question about whether gravity is due to warped space or if the warped space is a result of gravity.
Ilikemyname
My actual question is if gravity repels as well as pulls. I know, according to Newton's third law, that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. So can the force we label gravity actually be the result of the supposed empty space around it exerting pressure onto objects of mass?

[This question has been plaguing me as of late due to my swimmers ear.
I often lose balance when my inner ear goes off.]

This question probably sounds dumb to some, but I am new here so I was wondering if anyone had a quick answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ilikemyname said:
My actual question is if gravity repels as well as pulls.
I don't believe it does. I haven't studied general relativity, but from what I understand it produces only minor changes in the expected behavior of gravity in most situations.
Ilikemyname said:
I know, according to Newton's third law, that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
Yes. This simply means that if the sun pulls the Earth with a force of so many Newtons, then the Earth pulls the sun with the same force. Niether repels the other.
Ilikemyname said:
So can the force we label gravity actually be the result of the supposed empty space around it exerting pressure onto objects of mass?
I don't see how a pressure force would behave like gravity. A pressure force would not cause the Earth to accelerate because it presumably pushes with the same force in every direction.

Thanks for the reply, Leon!

So there are "dents" created by any amount of collected mass, which can be concidered fields. Any other mass's field that rolls through or overlaps the first mass's field, then their two fields interact with one another exerting gravity. These two fields... pull on each other? why?

Now I know that GR thing. Like a trampoline with bowling balls on them, but in order for that experiment to work you need gravity in the first place.

Is gravity because of the warped space? Or is the warped space due to gravity?

Ilikemyname said:
My actual question is if gravity repels as well as pulls. I know, according to Newton's third law, that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. So can the force we label gravity actually be the result of the supposed empty space around it exerting pressure onto objects of mass?

[This question has been plaguing me as of late due to my swimmers ear.
I often lose balance when my inner ear goes off.]

This question probably sounds dumb to some, but I am new here so I was wondering if anyone had a quick answer.

The quick answer is no, gravity is not a repelling force.

See for instance the wikipedia article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeSage_gravity

The only comment I have is that wiki was MUCH too kind to the cranks who are attempting to revive this dead horse of a theory.

I was wondering who had a good article on the pressure theory.
Thanks a lot Pervect.
I hope you don't find me a crank, I was just wondering.

It is interesting to try at least a little to verify this idea. That gravity is a repeling force and the attraction between massive bodies has to do with some lack of repeling action through the distance that conects the two bodies.

Imagine a massive body is constantly being shot by small particles. So if it is isolated, it will be in equilibrium. But if another body enter as a shadow creator then attractio happens

Ilikemyname said:
Is gravity because of the warped space? Or is the warped space due to gravity?

I think it's correct to say "gravity because of warped space. Warped space due to the presence of mass," but I haven't studied GR either.

1. Is gravity a force or a lack of a force?

Gravity is considered a force, specifically a fundamental force of nature. It is the force that attracts objects with mass towards each other.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the principle of mass attracting mass. The larger an object's mass, the stronger its gravitational pull. This is why larger objects, such as planets, have a stronger gravitational force than smaller objects, like humans.

3. Why is gravity often described as a "bending" or "curving" of space-time?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass. This curvature causes objects to follow curved paths, which we perceive as the force of gravity.

4. Is gravity the same everywhere in the universe?

No, the strength of gravity can vary depending on the mass and distance between objects. The further away an object is, the weaker its gravitational pull. Additionally, gravity can be affected by other forces, such as electromagnetism.

5. Can gravity be turned off or eliminated?

No, gravity is a fundamental force of nature and cannot be turned off or eliminated. However, its effects can be counteracted by other forces, such as the force of propulsion in a rocket.