Is Griffiths' QM sufficient before studying quantum computation?

In summary, the author suggests that a student should study another textbook, such as Sakurai's, Cohen's, or Shankar's, before studying quantum computation.
Haorong Wu
Hello, again. My current interest is quantum computation.

I've finished Griffiths' QM for the first time. Because it only takes me a month studying the book, I may have study it superficial, so I plan to study it again and complete all the problems after each chapter.

Then is this book sufficient before I start to study quantum computation, or should I study another textbook, such as Shankar's, Cohen's or Sakurai's?

ps. I'm wondering is qm mainly about solving wave functions? Griffiths talks almost all about how to solve wave functions in his book, except for the last chapter.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that mastering the Dirac notation, the matrix formulation of QM and, to a lesser degree, density operators is essential to work with quantum computation. Griffiths appears a bit think in these domains.

Cohen-Tannoudji and Sakurai are good choices. There is also Townsend, which is a kind of "Sakarai light." One book I know less may be good for you is the one by David H. McIntyre. It is an introductory book at the level of Griffiths, but uses the Dirac notation from the beginning.

Haorong Wu said:
ps. I'm wondering is qm mainly about solving wave functions?
It depends on what field. People working in quantum computing basically never use wave functions. People in atomic and molecular physics use wave functions all the time.

DrClaude said:
I think that mastering the Dirac notation, the matrix formulation of QM and, to a lesser degree, density operators is essential to work with quantum computation. Griffiths appears a bit think in these domains.

Cohen-Tannoudji and Sakurai are good choices. There is also Townsend, which is a kind of "Sakarai light." One book I know less may be good for you is the one by David H. McIntyre. It is an introductory book at the level of Griffiths, but uses the Dirac notation from the beginning.It depends on what field. People working in quantum computing basically never use wave functions. People in atomic and molecular physics use wave functions all the time.

Thanks, DrClaude. I heard that some part of the Sakurai's book is not so good. I think I'll try the Cohen's next.

Haorong Wu said:
I heard that some part of the Sakurai's book is not so good.
I don't know which part that would be. Sakurai is a very good book, but it is an upper-level undergraduate book.

In my previous message, I forgot to say that, since you haven't done the exercises in Griffiths, it would be best not to do them, but go through the material in another book and do the exercises therein.

DrClaude said:
I don't know which part that would be. Sakurai is a very good book, but it is an upper-level undergraduate book.

In my previous message, I forgot to say that, since you haven't done the exercises in Griffiths, it would be best not to do them, but go through the material in another book and do the exercises therein.

I heard that after finishing the first three chapters, Sakurai died and his friend finished the rest part according to Sakurai's outline. Thus the rest part of the book seems a bit confusing.

Are there anything wrong with Griffins' problems?

Also, I heard that the number of exercises in Cohen's book is not enough. Then, maybe I should try Sakurai's book.

Ah, it's tough to choose. Maybe I should buy them both.

Haorong Wu said:
I heard that after finishing the first three chapters, Sakurai died and his friend finished the rest part according to Sakurai's outline. Thus the rest part of the book seems a bit confusing.
The book was indeed written by someone else, but based on Sakurai's notes. I would go for the latest edition, revised by Napolitano. (Caveat: some people at PF do not like that edition. I use it in my lectures).

Haorong Wu said:
Are there anything wrong with Griffins' problems?
No. It is simply that you might as well go for another perspective instead of going through Griffiths again.

Haorong Wu said:
Also, I heard that the number of exercises in Cohen's book is not enough. Then, maybe I should try Sakurai's book.

Ah, it's tough to choose. Maybe I should buy them both.
That can be expensive. Is there a library you could borrow one of them from?

DrClaude said:
The book was indeed written by someone else, but based on Sakurai's notes. I would go for the latest edition, revised by Napolitano. (Caveat: some people at PF do not like that edition. I use it in my lectures).No. It is simply that you might as well go for another perspective instead of going through Griffiths again.That can be expensive. Is there a library you could borrow one of them from?
I decide to try Sakurai's book, and buy Cohen's as well.

Though I can't borrow any of them, they are sold in a pretty low price in China. 50RMB for Sakurai's and 80RMB for Cohen's. In US dollar, they only cost 20 dollars in total. It seems that a Chinese company has purchase their copyrights, so their prices are incrediblely low in China.

ps. I have to buy Griffiths' book for 100 dollars. It took me days before I finally decided to buy it.

Thank you again, DrClaude. You've helped me a lot.

If your main interest is quantum information then since you have a little background in QM I would just pick up Nielson and Chuang's book which is the standard in QM. They cover a little bit of the QM necessary at the beginning as well as some linear algebra. Knowing in depth details about angular momentum and symmetries (Sakurai) won't help with QI.

1. Is Griffiths' QM sufficient for understanding quantum computation?

Griffiths' QM provides a solid foundation for understanding quantum mechanics, which is essential for understanding quantum computation. However, it may not cover all the necessary topics and techniques specifically related to quantum computation. Therefore, it is recommended to supplement Griffiths' QM with additional resources.

2. What are the key topics covered in Griffiths' QM that are relevant to quantum computation?

Griffiths' QM covers fundamental concepts such as wave functions, operators, and measurement in quantum mechanics. These concepts are crucial for understanding the principles behind quantum computation. It also covers topics such as entanglement, superposition, and quantum gates, which are directly applicable to quantum computation.

3. Can I skip studying Griffiths' QM and directly learn about quantum computation?

While it is possible to directly learn about quantum computation without studying Griffiths' QM, it is not recommended. Having a solid understanding of the foundational concepts in quantum mechanics will greatly aid in comprehending the principles and techniques of quantum computation.

4. Are there any other resources that I should study in addition to Griffiths' QM for quantum computation?

Yes, there are several other resources that can supplement Griffiths' QM for understanding quantum computation. Some popular options include "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information" by Michael Nielsen and Isaac Chuang, and "Quantum Computing: A Gentle Introduction" by Eleanor Rieffel and Wolfgang Polak.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to understand Griffiths' QM and quantum computation?

A basic understanding of linear algebra and calculus is necessary for understanding Griffiths' QM and quantum computation. However, it is not necessary to have a strong background in math. With dedication and practice, anyone can grasp the concepts and techniques of quantum computation.