Is grounding necessary when running off of batteries?

kilbeg diamond
TL;DR Summary
Grounding electricity is it necessary off batteries
Hi all,
playing with fancy e textiles and I wish to run a current through it. I don’t want to use mains, or d cell batteries. Can you point me in the right direction what components I could use and also how to get away with any grounding as it’s just a small area to put a current through.
thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is all very vague. You want to apply voltage across a piece of textile? Grounding is NOT always necessary, it's just safer in general. You need to be more clear about EXACTLY what it is you are trying to do.

This seems a frustatingly broad request. I'm not sure how likely you are to get a useful answer from such a vague description (though PF members constantly surprise me).

What research have you done to determine how things are done in the industry now? And how far along are you in your own concept to know what kind of voltage/current and complexity you will need?

Do you need grounding? Low voltage portable systems are often not grounded.

Welcome to PF.

It will depend on what your "fancy e textiles" really are.
Please supply a link to the product.

(PF needs those little dot dot dots that tell you when someone else is in the middle of typing their own response...)

Maybe this?

DaveC426913 said:
(PF needs those little dot dot dots that tell you when someone else is in the middle of typing their own response...)
Questions often spend several hours without a response, this one was different.

Economise on dots and time. Begin the conversation while the OP is still there. Keep your first response short, and ask for a specific refinement of the question.

Baluncore said:
Begin the conversation while the OP is still there. Keep your first response short, and ask for a specific refinement of the question.
Like post 3? :wink:

Baluncore said:
Begin the conversation while the OP is still there.
Uh ... kinda hard to do when the OP only hung around for two minutes after posting.

DaveC426913 said:
Or even better, post #2. Dave, we ALMOST caught him before he left the building.

Likes DaveC426913
DaveC426913 said:
I think your first two paragraphs, were complex questions, requiring an essay answer. Your 20:20 hindsight is correct, the last paragraph was all that was needed.

I aim to criticise my response before posting, but I am human. Early criticism of the question is often unproductive. If the OP knew the question you wanted, the OP could have answered it themselves. Get the ball rolling, give it time, the correct question will often only appear later, when the OP begins to understand the game, after a few 24-hour cycles.

Sit next to the OP, looking at the topic together, not at the OP. If you help them, they will often believe you answered it for them.

Several short answers are often better than one long answer. If they are duplicates, that reinforces the issue. If they are different, the OP will select
the line of approach they feel most comfortable with.

"Catching an OP", has an analogy, in the difference between fly-fishing and dynamite-fishing. If the OP is not ready for your help, you need to release them, informed, empowered, and uninjured.

1. Is grounding necessary when using batteries in a circuit?

No, grounding is not typically necessary when using batteries as they are self-contained sources of energy with no reference to ground. Grounding is mainly used in AC systems to prevent electrical shock and ensure safety.

2. Can grounding improve the performance of a battery-operated device?

Generally, grounding does not improve the performance of battery-operated devices. Batteries provide a stable voltage without the need for a ground reference. However, grounding can be beneficial in complex systems to reduce noise or interference in sensitive electronic components.

3. What happens if you ground one terminal of a battery?

Grounding one terminal of a battery (commonly the negative terminal) does not affect the battery's operation but it sets a common reference point for the voltage in the circuit. This is often done in automotive and other systems to simplify the wiring and enhance safety.

4. Is it safe to use batteries without a ground connection?

Yes, it is safe to use batteries without a ground connection as they are inherently isolated systems. The main concern for safety with batteries is ensuring proper handling and preventing short circuits or improper charging/discharging that can lead to overheating or fires.

5. Are there any specific scenarios where a battery should be grounded?

In systems where the battery is used in conjunction with AC power sources or where the system is part of a larger network that includes grounding, it might be necessary to ground the battery. This is common in vehicles and hybrid systems where grounding can help prevent electrical noise and ensure system stability.