Is induction a circular way to define natural numbers?

In summary, the discussion in the Discrete Math forum about how to introduce mathematical induction in a clear and convincing way was continued in a separate thread. The question was about the philosophical justification of Peano arithmetic and the set-theoretic construction of natural numbers. A quotation from Daniel Leivant was provided, which stated that the use of induction in the delineation of natural numbers is a circular enterprise. It was also mentioned that the Peano axioms can be proven in set theory, but the problem is proving the uniqueness of a Peano model. The Peano axioms have infinitely many non-isomorphic models, but a single second-order formula can be constructed that only has natural numbers as its model.
Evgeny.Makarov
Gold Member
MHB
Sorry about the intriguing title; this is just a continuation of the discussion in https://driven2services.com/staging/mh/index.php?threads/5216/ from the Discrete Math forum. The original question there was how to introduce mathematical induction in a clear and convincing way. Since the current discussion about the foundations of mathematics is clearly off-topic, I decided to continue it in a separate thread.

ModusPonens said:
I'm sure you are aware how the set of finite ordinals is constructed. So why is there a contradiction?
Obviously, there is no formal contradiction in Peano arithmetic or in the set-theoretic construction of natural numbers, or at least none has been found yet. The question is about a philosophical justification of Peano arithmetic.

Here is a quotation from Daniel Leivant, Intrinsic Logic and Computational Complexity, in LNCS 960, p. 192.

"The set $\mathbb{N}$ of natural numbers is implicitly defined by Peano's axioms: the generative axioms [$0\in\mathbb{N}$ and $n\in\mathbb{N}\to Sn\in\mathbb{N}$] convey a lower bound on the extension of $\mathbb{N}$, and the induction schema approximates the upper bound. However, as observed in (Edward Nelson, Predicative Arithmetic, Princeton University Press, 1986), if a formula $\varphi$ has quantifiers, then its meaning presupposes the delineation of $\mathbb{N}$ as the domain of the quantifiers, and therefore using induction over $\varphi$ as a component of the delineation of $\mathbb{N}$ is a circular enterprise."

As I said, I don't claim that I fully understand this.

ModusPonens said:
We can prove the Peano axioms in this set, from set theory. That means that there are natural numbers (let's not focus on what "are" means :D ). Now, is the problem proving the uniqueness of a Peano model, modulo isomorphism?
Peano axioms (a first-order theory) has infinitely many non-isomorphic models (a corollary of the compactness theorem). However, it is easy to construct a single second-order formula whose only model are natural numbers.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello

Sorry for my poor choice of words in a discussion about mathematics. I meant "where is the circularity?", not contradiction.

I may be way out of my league, but my question is the following: there are the Peano axioms. They don't define the natural numbers. It seems to me that you have a model which fits the axioms.

1. What is induction and how is it used in defining natural numbers?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove statements about natural numbers. It involves showing that a statement is true for a base case, and then using the assumption that it is true for a given number, to prove that it is also true for the next number in the sequence. This process continues until the statement has been proven for all natural numbers.

2. Is induction the only way to define natural numbers?

No, induction is not the only way to define natural numbers. Other methods include the Peano axioms, which define natural numbers in terms of a successor function and a set of axioms, and the Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory, which defines natural numbers as a specific type of set.

3. Can induction be used to prove any statement about natural numbers?

No, induction can only be used to prove statements that follow a specific pattern or structure. It cannot be used to prove statements that are not related to each other in a sequential manner.

4. Is induction a circular way to define natural numbers?

No, induction is not a circular way to define natural numbers. It is a valid proof technique that allows us to prove statements about natural numbers using a step-by-step approach.

5. Are there any limitations to using induction in defining natural numbers?

Yes, there are limitations to using induction in defining natural numbers. Induction can only be used for statements that have a well-defined base case and follow a specific pattern. It also cannot be used to prove statements that rely on unproven assumptions or axioms.