Is It Dangerous to Use 12v tranformer to give a 6v output?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fialor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    12v Output
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
fialor
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I have a product that needs a 6v transformer. However all I have is a 12v output transformer. Can I use this? and is it dangerous?

Thanks
Fialor
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi fialor ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
fialor said:
I have a product that needs a 6v transformer. However all I have is a 12v output transformer. Can I use this? and is it dangerous?

Well, it won't hurt you. :smile:

:cry: But it will hurt the product! :cry:​
 
Many thanks Tiny-tim.
I know that running a 6v output with a transformer meant to give out 12v is not ideal. But why is it not ideal - how does it hurt the product?
 
fialor said:
Many thanks Tiny-tim.
I know that running a 6v output with a transformer meant to give out 12v is not ideal. But why is it not ideal - how does it hurt the product?

Hi fialor! :smile:

You haven't said what the product is.

But as a general rule:

i] It'll invalidate the warranty.
ii] It'll put double the current through every part of it, which may "burn something out", possibly beyond economic repair.
iii] ok, maybe it won't do any harm … but the only way to find out is to try it … and then it'll be too late! :smile:
 
fialor said:
Hi,

I have a product that needs a 6v transformer. However all I have is a 12v output transformer. Can I use this? and is it dangerous?

Thanks
Fialor

It could be very dangerous.

As tiny-tim has said, using 12V instead of 6V, can result in excessive heat. This excessive heat could ruin a part, or, if large enough, even start a fire. Or the excess voltage could change the operating characteristics of your product. Or nothing extraordinary might happen.

I do not recommend this course of action unless you really know what your doing.
 
Thank you Tiny-tim and George Jones.
Information was really helpful.
Regards
Fialor