Is it permissible to post questions using PDFs?

• Thread starter pikdar3
  • Start date
In summary, the forum does not allow posts that are only partially written out. If you would like to quote a portion of a post, you must write out the post in full and then attach the PDF as supplementary information.
pikdar3
Texmaker can generate PDFs which one can copy and paste from, so it shouldn't be too difficult to quote from them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Posts need to be written out, if you also want to attach a file of the written text or to add a graph or drawing for clarity, that's ok, but no file is ok as a substitute for writing out the actual post.

pikdar3 said:
it shouldn't be too difficult to quote from them.

It would be a lot more work than simply hitting the forum's "quote" button:

1. Download the PDF file and open it in a PDF-viewing software.
  2. Select the text you want to quote and copy it.
  3. Paste it into the forum's editing window.
  4. Add "quote" tags by hand to make it look like a quote.

Should it be easier for the person posting the question, or the many people who are volunteering their help in answering it?

Likes Ryan_m_b
Evo said:
Posts need to be written out, if you also want to attach a file of the written text or to add a graph or drawing for clarity, that's ok, but no file is ok as a substitute for writing out the actual post.
Since I have never found it necessary to even consider posting a question via pdf, the rule has no impact on me. However, I am curious as to why the rule is in place. I understand it must be some benefit to the smooth operation of the forum, I am just curious as to what benefit that is. Would you elaborate, please.

Ophiolite said:
Since I have never found it necessary to even consider posting a question via pdf, the rule has no impact on me. However, I am curious as to why the rule is in place. I understand it must be some benefit to the smooth operation of the forum, I am just curious as to what benefit that is. Would you elaborate, please.
which part of post #3 did you not understand?

In my experience members who post PDFs or pictures (that aren't for extra illustration purposes) are often just scanning their homework and trying to get us to do it. If you actually have to type it out you can at least show some understanding...hopefully

Per our guidelines the majority of the post must be typed out. You can upload the PDF as supplemental information.

1. What is the purpose of posting questions using PDFs?

Posting questions using PDFs is often done to include images, graphs, or other visual aids that cannot be easily incorporated into a text-based question. It can also be used to include longer sections of text or complex equations.

2. Is it acceptable to use PDFs for all types of questions?

While PDFs can be useful for certain types of questions, it is generally recommended to use text-based questions whenever possible. This makes it easier for others to read and respond to your question, and ensures that the question is accessible to all users.

3. Are there any limitations for using PDFs in posted questions?

Yes, there are some limitations to consider when using PDFs in posted questions. Some platforms may have size restrictions for uploaded files, and not all users may have the necessary software to open or view the PDF. Additionally, PDFs may not be compatible with certain screen readers used by individuals with visual impairments.

4. Can I use PDFs to provide answers to questions?

No, it is not recommended to use PDFs for providing answers to questions. This can make it difficult for others to read and respond to the answer, and may not be accessible for all users. It is best to use text-based answers whenever possible.

5. How can I ensure that my PDF-based question is accessible to all users?

If you choose to use a PDF for your question, make sure to provide a text-based alternative for users who may not be able to access or read the PDF. This could include summarizing the information in the PDF or providing a link to an online version of the content. It is also recommended to keep the PDF file size as small as possible and to use simple, clear formatting for easy readability.