Is it pointless for me to do undergrad research?

In summary: I don't know if that counts as research or not.It doesn't count as research, but it's always good to have some research experience under your belt.
creepypasta13
I currently plan on graduating next fall semester, with a physics B.A. my main concern is when I plan on applying to grad school next fall for mechanical engineering, probably for a M.S. in fluid mechanics or heat transfer. Is it a good idea to do it at a different school from my undergrad? personally, I would rather have the change of environment

I heard most grad schools require 3 letters, so that's my main reason for seeking another prof to do undergrad research for right now until the rest of this semester. I did an REU last summer, and am fairly close with only 1 other professor at my school, so if I apply to grad schools this upcoming fall, I currently only have 2 profs who can write me even somewhat-decent letters of rec. Is this a good plan? or is it not necessary to do another research project considering that my gpa is high (3.86), and hence that along with average letters of rec will let me get into decent grad schools (top 20-ish)?

My goal is to eventually work for a large defense contractor, like boeing, lockheed martin, etc. I want to work on rockets, missiles, etc and do more theoretical rather than experimental work

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know for sure, but I've heard that the more undergrad research experience you have, the better.

Undergraduate research and/or internships still ranks high in the application process for engineering graduate programs (and you're right... you should try to get a third strong letter). The best MS programs will include research (thesis-based MS programs). You may even want to look into programs that include collaboration with a national/military lab or a defense contractor as a possibility (for my MS in engineering I did work t the Air Force Research labs... some of my friends in the program later went to work for defense contractors... pluses in their application where that they already had security clearance and contacts).

You might want to look into REU's in your area of interest (perhaps even sponsored through a mechanical engineering rather than physics department), REU's at a national lab, or work in an engineering lab at your own home institution (it'd be good to take a few upper-level classes in engineering there as well... that will boost your application to engineering graduate programs as well).

physics girl phd said:
Undergraduate research and/or internships still ranks high in the application process for engineering graduate programs (and you're right... you should try to get a third strong letter). The best MS programs will include research (thesis-based MS programs). You may even want to look into programs that include collaboration with a national/military lab or a defense contractor as a possibility (for my MS in engineering I did work t the Air Force Research labs... some of my friends in the program later went to work for defense contractors... pluses in their application where that they already had security clearance and contacts).

You might want to look into REU's in your area of interest (perhaps even sponsored through a mechanical engineering rather than physics department), REU's at a national lab, or work in an engineering lab at your own home institution (it'd be good to take a few upper-level classes in engineering there as well... that will boost your application to engineering graduate programs as well).

where can i look into M.S. programs that include collaboration with a national/military lab or defense contractor?

i'm not going to do an REU this summer since I'll be doing a summer internship for a private company this summer.

FAQ: Is it pointless for me to do undergrad research?

1. Is undergraduate research necessary for my career in science?

No, it is not necessary, but it can be highly beneficial. Undergraduate research allows you to gain hands-on experience in a specific field and develop important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork. It can also make you a more competitive candidate for graduate school or future job opportunities.

2. Will I get paid for doing undergraduate research?

It depends on the program or institution you are conducting research with. Some programs may offer a stipend or hourly pay, while others may offer course credit. Additionally, some research positions may be volunteer-based. Make sure to inquire about compensation before committing to a research opportunity.

3. Can I do research in a field that is different from my major?

Yes, you can! Many research opportunities are open to students from various majors. In fact, exploring different fields through research can help you discover new interests and expand your knowledge. However, some research positions may require specific skills or knowledge, so be sure to read the requirements carefully before applying.

4. How do I find undergraduate research opportunities?

There are various ways to find undergraduate research opportunities. You can start by talking to your professors or academic advisors, as they may be able to connect you with ongoing research projects. You can also check your school's website for research programs or attend research fairs or conferences. Additionally, you can reach out to organizations or companies in your field of interest to inquire about research opportunities.

5. Will I have time for undergraduate research while also juggling my coursework?

It can be challenging to balance undergraduate research with coursework, but it is possible. Many research positions have flexible schedules, and you can work with your supervisor to create a schedule that works for both of you. It is essential to communicate your availability and priorities with your supervisor to ensure a manageable workload. Time management and organization skills will also be helpful in successfully managing both research and coursework.